Question for Gamestop employees

Drizzt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Are you guys(or gals) able to check the stock of PS 1 games that you have in store on your computer system? I went to a local gamestop to try to pick up a game that they showed as having online, and didn't see it in the display cases (they pack their PS 1 games in these plastic cases to probably prevent theft, but it ends up making it harder to see what's inside because they stick two or more in a case). So when I asked if they could check stock, they told me that their computer system isn't able to, then asked me if I checked what they had (they apparently hadn't seen me over there checking the games over 3 times). I just want to know if this really is this case, or if they were making it up.

I know it probably sounds like I'm being paranoid, but in my years of brick and mortar game shopping, I can't stand lazy employees or those that lie because they don't feel like doing actual work. I'm not saying these employees I dealt with were like that, but they just rubbed me the wrong way since I was one of the few people in the store, and all 3 of them were just up at the counter chit chatting. Then they kinda gave off this helpless attitude after I confirmed that I had checked the display 3 times.

I don't work there but how can a store not be able to check inventory. If they have a computer they have an inventory system. That employee was full of shit.

I used to work there for 6 years as a store manager and no. YOu can't look up inventory. The only thing the computer brings up is what the company carries as well as the sku number. Pretty bizzare.

OH wells.

Wow that is wierd. I didn't really think they were lying to me as I've dealt with a couple of them before in other purchases and they've been nothing but helpful otherwise. Just tonight it seemed like they were already burnt out from a day's work or something. Doesn't make much sense that they have the system set up like that, but oh well.

DreamSymphony:I know what working retail is like. I did it at one time and even though I didn't like it, and the customers would get under my skin, I was still nothing but cordial and as helpful as possible to them. I expect no less of anyone else I encounter when asking for help (and a possible sale for that matter) when dealing with EB and GameStop employees.

no, Gamestop doesn't, EB does and when the merger comes then maybe the answer will be yes.

the reasoning behind not being able to look up your inventory? Theft/LP. If your computer says you have 3 of something, and you have some jerkass employee somewhere who physically sees 4...they know they can pocket it. Also, if for some reason your inventory is off, you don't mistakenly tell a customer you have something only to find it's not physically there for one reason or another. (like it just got shipped out or bought or maybe they ask for something that was just traded in so it's not in your day's inventory but you have it).

mostly it's the TMI issue tho. to prevent sticky fingers.

Why is it then everytime I go to GS they can tell me without every leaving the counter that they have game "x" instock both new and used for what everprice? Dont try to tell me that they know every game that they have, because most of the people who work at teh GS I go to are shaqfu ers. 1 really hates me for some reason and always gives me crap so that are not doing it because they like me

[quote name='te3B0r']Why is it then everytime I go to GS they can tell me without every leaving the counter that they have game "x" instock both new and used for what everprice? Dont try to tell me that they know every game that they have, because most of the people who work at teh GS I go to are shaqfu ers. 1 really hates me for some reason and always gives me crap so that are not doing it because they like me[/QUOTE]

Chances are they're rattling off the info the computer does have, lying about having it, and hoping if you try to buy it, and it's not there, they can go "oh, it must've been pulled for blah-blah reason. Oh weird. It was there before."

Or you're asking for something common/popular enough they just know. It does happen.

When the merger happens Gamestop will have EB's POS. They'll be able to check inventory and your preorders will be in the system.

Yeah once they have EBs POS they'll be able to check it. I don't know how they managed for so long with that crap system of theirs

[quote name='te3B0r']Why is it then everytime I go to GS they can tell me without every leaving the counter that they have game "x" instock both new and used for what everprice? Dont try to tell me that they know every game that they have, because most of the people who work at teh GS I go to are shaqfu ers. 1 really hates me for some reason and always gives me crap so that are not doing it because they like me[/QUOTE]

do you have socks? a pen? a tie? shoe-horn? a unicorn?

k, you probably know these things, right? right.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']Are computers suck ass checks. The program is even called POS.

No lie.[/QUOTE]

POS = Point Of Sale. Any register hooked up to a computer is running some form of POS system.

worked at GS for two years, there is no way to check teh system for any games. PS1 games, aren't as well important to GS now so they are usually unsorted or in some other form of chaos. We had thousands of ps1 games at my store and it was no fun alphabetizing them. Last I checked when you search GS.com it will say this store has 1-3 copies. Odds are they only have one, and that search is updated weekly. Stores are big, ps1 discs (especially when customers bring them in w/o a case) are really small and very easy to loose. When looking for ps1 games it's usually up to you to find it. I do hope the merge fixes that though, it would be nice to know exactly what there is in stock.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']POS = Point Of Sale. Any register hooked up to a computer is running some form of POS system.[/QUOTE]
indifferent.gif

I think Gamestop will be able to let go of some of their minimum wage people, since the computers will be able to do the work the employees don't want to do. Like check to see if they have a game for the customer. Or count inventory, so that the website is accurate.

[quote name='amos_82']I think Gamestop will be able to let go of some of their minimum wage people, since the computers will be able to do the work the employees don't want to do. Like check to see if they have a game for the customer. Or count inventory, so that the website is accurate.[/QUOTE]

I really hope they dont! I'm not sure one manager could handle a launch date alone. For each store there is one SM an ASM and a 3rd Key and 1-5 "minimum wage". Lets see a computer reorganize an entire shelving unit, assist five customers, process trades, and drive to the closest McDonalds to get the managers lunch within 30 minutes, without arms, legs, or a freaking car! ............... Um...................... Where can I get a comp like that?

My buddy did the Fable Launch as EBGAMES by HIMSELF (ASM). By the way, they had over 100 reserves on the game. Have you ever been into an Ebgames lately. The ones around me, never have more than 3 or 4 employees, including the manager. They have never complained about be short staffed.

[quote name='amos_82']My buddy did the Fable Launch as EBGAMES by HIMSELF (ASM). By the way, they had over 100 reserves on the game. Have you ever been into an Ebgames lately. The ones around me, never have more than 3 or 4 employees, including the manager. They have never complained about be short staffed.[/QUOTE]

250 at my local GS. I was there. Of course they don't complain about being understaffed. Everyone is at Gamestop, hence the reason they are being bought by GS and not the other way around.

When I worked at EB I knew every game we had, new and preplayed. When you work there 40+ hours a week and do some inventory counts, you start to remember stuff...

Dragonpancakes doesn't know what he is talking about of course. Gamestop could never buy EBgames. They have less sales and profits then EBGames. To set the record straight. Barnes & Nobles has owned Gamestop for sometime now. Barnes & Nobles purchased EBGames with cash and some Gamestop stock. Barnes & Nobles decided that it would be best to merge the 2 companies. Get your facts straight!!

[quote name='dragonpancakes']250 at my local GS. I was there. Of course they don't complain about being understaffed. Everyone is at Gamestop, hence the reason they are being bought by GS and not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Oh no not this discussion again.

On April 18, 2005, GameStop and EB Games (originally Electronics Boutique), announced that they would be merging, but keeping the GameStop name.

GameStop traces its roots to mall software retailer Babbage's, which was renamed Babbage's, Etc. LLC when it merged with Software, Etc.. Babbage's, Etc. was purchased by book retail giant Barnes & Noble from its CEO Leonard Riggio in a transaction completed on October 28, 1999. When Funco, Inc. (operator of Funcoland stores) was acquired by B&N in 2000, there was a corporate restructuring, and Babbage's Etc became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Funco. The name at that time was changed to GameStop, Inc. The company was rechristened GameStop Corp. in 2002 prior to its IPO on the New York Stock Exchange, where it trades under the symbol GME. In October 2004, GameStop Corp. purchased six million shares of its stock from parent B&N, and subsequently in November 2004 B&N distributed nearly 30 million more GameStop shares to B&N shareholders, thereby completing a spin-off of the subsidiary.

bread's done
Back