Question for online shoppers

abcme

CAGiversary!
I bought a cd from an ebay auction, and received it today, but there's a label saying...

"For Promotional Use Only
Sale Or Other Transfer Is
Prohibited Must Be Returned On
Demand Of Recording Company."

so ya.... What should I do??

The CD plays and I got it for a decent price..

should I just keep it?

Those are promo copies sent out before the cd is released to radio stations, DJ's, etc. I'd say there's nothing wrong with keeping it as I've seen those at used record stores and if they have no problem selling them, I'd have no problem buying one.

On demand = When requested or needed

If the record company ever calls you up singing "I want my baby back, baby back, baby back", you have to give it up.

I see tons of those at the used stores as well. They look cool with the (almost always) gold-embossed warning of doom on the front cover.

don't worry about it. the seller got the CD for free as a promo from the label (as redeema said), which is why you were able to get it cheap. record companies never actually request for the promos to be returned (and they're fully aware that they end up getting sold at some point), which is why the people who get promos they don't care about either go to used cd stores to dump them off for some extra cash/store credit or sell them on ebay.

I have a few of those myself. If you ever want to sell it off, beware of some B&M chain cd stores. They won't turn you in or anything, just that some have a policy where they won't take promo copy cds. Something about they could get in trouble if it were found out they were selling a promo copy.

[quote name='abcme']I bought a cd from an ebay auction, and received it today, but there's a label saying...

"For Promotional Use Only
Sale Or Other Transfer Is
Prohibited Must Be Returned On
Demand Of Recording Company."

so ya.... What should I do??

The CD plays and I got it for a decent price..

should I just keep it?[/quote]

Nah Homie.

You got ripped off.

What you got was a burned CD.

If I were you I would complain about it and ask for a refund.

No they didn't. Don't post if you don't know what you are talking about. It is a perfectly legit cd. No big deal at all. Play it, listen to it, enjoy it.

[quote name='realmobfather']Nah Homie.

You got ripped off.

What you got was a burned CD.

If I were you I would complain about it and ask for a refund.[/quote]

Dude, don't even try and be an ass on something like that. Like everyone else, it is a legit cd. Hell, sometimes, a promo cd may even contain a track or two that never make it to the final cut. Only problem with some of them, is that right in the middle of a few of the tracks it'll annouce the track title, band name, and say that its from their new CD out whenever. Other than that, enjoy the fact that you have a collectable that some people get very envoius over. And to be really honest, burn a back up copy or two and use those to listen to, and keep the promo copy in a safe place.

Well I don't like Promo Copies.

They just look cheap...not as cheap as homemade burn copies but still cheap.

I have an MC Eiht Promo copy cd that I got for free and its good for how much it costs but I wouldn't pay anything for it.

[quote name='realmobfather']Well I don't like Promo Copies.

They just look cheap...not as cheap as homemade burn copies but still cheap.

I have an MC Eiht Promo copy cd that I got for free and its good for how much it costs but I wouldn't pay anything for it.[/quote]

Um...if it looks cheap as all hell and a a cd burner could have done better, its a little something called a bootleg. Promo copies may not have all the original art (hell, the real deal may have a totally different packaging all together), and the material may not be that stellar, but thats why its called a promo (another use of the word could also mean free, so don't complain about getting a free copy of a promo CD)! Its meant to be sent out to critics to review, and other people in the music business to preview before the actual album is released. Just because you don't like promo copies, doesn't man that other people don't either, so don't try and frighten someone that has no idea what a promo copy is. And by the way, if you got it for free and it ain't that good a material from the artist, then you honestly have no reason to complain...

Ok Ok.

What Ever.

My point was that if your a collection freak and you don't have any burned CDs in your CD Case, I wouldn't add a Promo copy in their.

If your like one of thoses people that have like 100 Burned CDs then go ahead and add some Promo copies in their.

Ya Dig?

well, the copy plays well.
It does not look like a bootleg at all.

I'm not sure if it has promo cd extras though... hard to tell.

and... i'm gonna make a burned copy of the cd right now. dang, I've already listened to this whole cd 5+ times!

bread's done
Back