Question for people who print shipping labels online

Blank Earth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
156 (100%)
I do a fair bit of eBaying and CAG trading, but for shipping, I've always done it the old school way of driving to the post office and buying my postage there. I'd like to save myself so many trips by printing labels online, but I've got one silly question...how do you know much something weighs?

Do you have a scale? Is there a cheap one I should buy? Do you guess? Do you overestimate and assume it'll be enough?

DO NOT overestimate since it will cost you more money.
Invest in a scale. It will save you time and money in the long run. You can get a cheap digital scale on Amazon.

What unforeseen said. Also, you get a free tracking number when you print shipping labels through PayPal.

Since youre most likely not going to be shipping anything over 55 Lbs, you might want to get this one. It has good reviews and it's about $26, sold by amazon and therefore ships for free.

Since I cant post links, just plug B000FSWB9K into the amazon search bar.

If you primarily ship either textbooks or video games, however, you can use predetermined weights as guidelines. I usually charge shipping on eBay according to the measurements given in the descriptions and by the average weight of any video game or DVD (12oz. to 18oz.) and an additional dollar or less to cover the padded envelope and any errors. And I've found that not everyone complains about shipping prices being high when you note that you are charging actual shipping costs.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Cool, any specific scales from Amazon you'd recommend?[/QUOTE]

I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MSZBSI/ref=oss_product

Remember to use the promotional code 4APWT433 to get the scale for $15 shipped (if you have prime, otherwise you have to pad your order to reach $25 for free shipping)

It weighs up to 11 pounds (displays weight in ounces and pounds), which is plenty for most packages.

Good luck.

NO NO NO do not go buying a scale. What's the heaviest thing you'll be weighing? Stamps.com has a package with a free 5lb scale and $10 free shipping, you just pay for shipping the scale to you ($10). Let me dig up the link. Posting before you do something silly, like pay for one. They offer a 25lb in the deal, iirc, for a low price...

I use the 5lb scale daily at work, and it does the job just fine. I pull it in and out of it's storage spot throughout the day, and I'm not shy with it either, so it takes a pretty good beating. Stamps.com is a subscription service, though, I think. I cancelled before the first 30 days ;)

edit:
http://www.stamps.com/registration/

Last edited by a moderator:
What does 1000 x 0.1 gram capacity mean? It can weigh up to 100 grams in 0.1 gram increments? That's only ~3.5 oz, so probably not enough to be shipping games, if I'm understanding correctly.

bread's done
Back