Question on 3.5mm audio cables

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I'm looking to get a male/male 3.5mm audio cables to connect my laptop and HDTV.

Does the length of the cables affect the sound quality? I'd like to get from Monoprice but their 6ft one is out until 6/11 but their 12ft model is available. The 12ft is twice as much but that's not saying anything since it's barely $1.

I noticed they have gold plated 3.5mm cables. Are those worth getting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Length doesn't matter in this case, and gold-plating is unnecessary. Go cheap.

Besides, I assume you'll be outputing sound from your tv speakers? Is sound quality really a big concern for you?

Yeah, it'll be putting out from the TV speakers (it's a 46" Sony Bravia).

I figured gold plating would be unnecessary.

I just want to make sure the length is unnecessary. I'd prefer not to wait for them but if the length was important, i wouldn't mind waiting.

I have the 10ft & 6ft gold plated from them and it works fine, it's also sturdy as hell. You really don't need gold for this type of signal but for a $1 more I just got it, that part is up to you.

I went with the 12ft and also picked up this Super VGA/3.5mm hybrid. Super VGA supposedly is better (though probably can't tell the difference). If it works, it'll be convenient to only need 1 cable. If not, so be it, it wasn't even $5.

[quote name='icedrake523']I just want to make sure the length is unnecessary. I'd prefer not to wait for them but if the length was important, i wouldn't mind waiting.[/QUOTE]
Shorter cables reduce clutter. Longer cables offer greater setup flexibility. Beyond that there is no difference.

Unless your talking really long cables. A 6ft cable may sound better than one that's 6 miles long. :)

bread's done
Back