Question on overclocking my CPU

EvilJester

CAGiversary!
I'm rebuilding my PC this month and I'm curious about overclocking the CPU and POSSIBLY the RAM.

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128347
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

The FSB on the motherboard is 1333 but can be overclocked to 1600. The RAM can be overclocked from 1066 to 1200.

Should I attempt this being my first time overclocking or should I not worry about it for a while?

Thoughts? Tips?

Thanks guys!

OCing, even the slightest bit, voids your warranty. The CPU you're getting is pretty damn good... I usually don't recommend OCing until you need to.

Plus, it doesn't sound like you know how to OC? It's not exactly a simple matter... there's lots to consider.

I agree, overclocking is no rocket science, but it's no a walk in the park either. Don't overclock just because other people are overclocking. That CPU you got has plenty power to handle tasks you throw at it. IF you DO insist on overclocking, you'll need to look into getting a good $50 - $60 CPU fan to keep the monster cooled, if you don't already have one. And probably I'd consider getting a memory cooler like this.

Uh, you're OCing a 7.5X multiplier quad. That's gonna be alot harder than OCing a 9X quad like the Q6600.
The Q6600 does 3.2Ghz like it's nothing - 9 x 356 is a heckuva lot easier than 7.5 x 427. Q6600 is cheaper (less than $200), so unless you REALLY need the SSE4 optimizations...I'd just go with the Q6600.

The other thing is that quads are more strenuous on PWM than a dual-core is. I'm an experienced user, and even I was a bit weary about OCing quads. So while I'm only on an e8400, I got a high-quality board so I could upgrade later if i wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
so going into this blind and knowing NOTHING of OCing
i will just stick with my 2.5 ghz and not touch it

i figured it would hold me for a while without having to update for a LONG time

thanks so much for all the help peoples
:grouphug:

Dang I didn't realize you meant you already bought it. My experience is with the P35 chipset, not the P43. But I don't think 7.5 x 400 should be too much out of question.

I didn't have to touch VTT or PLL voltages, but I'm on a dual-core. I'd probably focus on CPU vcore alone and see how far that can get you.

[quote name='mav451']Dang I didn't realize you meant you already bought it. My experience is with the P35 chipset, not the P43. But I don't think 7.5 x 400 should be too much out of question.

I didn't have to touch VTT or PLL voltages, but I'm on a dual-core. I'd probably focus on CPU vcore alone and see how far that can get you.[/quote]

oh no
I haven't bought them just yet.
I will be in a few weeks however.

if you dont know anything about OC, there are sites that can give you a lot more information than you can get from here

I overclock my e8400 my increasing the CPU voltage just a couple of steps and increasing the FSB to 1600. This way I go from about 3ghz to 3.6ghz. This is a pretty small overclock for my chip. After researching about my MSI 780i motherboard, I found that my RAM should be half of my FSB when overclocking, so my RAM is only running at 800. To run it faster I would need to overclock the CPU more, and I think it isn't worth the hassle.

So find some forums about overclocking, or even better about your particular motherboard. Yes, there are risks involved, but if you aren't greedy and just shoot for a small overclock you should be OK.

Heh, well I wasn't sure how serious this guy was.
If you are serious, xtremesystems.org is a good start; http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/
In any case, as noob it's better to "cookie cutter" your build off other successful OC builds. You can probably lurk and take notes of what people are using (just look at their sigs).

For example. this is mine:
e8400 @ 4.00 Ghz Q746A518 01/15/08 1.296 vcore | TR-120-E + Noctua P12
DFI LanParty LT P35-T2R (01/09 BIOS) | 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @ 1:1; 5-5-5-18
500, 750 WD | 620HX

E.g. take notes on Mobo (and chipset) & BIOS, RAM & timings, voltages, PSU, etc.

In fact I actually ran the e8400 OC database @ XS until it was over-run by SuperPI times (which I deem fucking useless).

bread's done
Back