Question - PS2 DRE's - fix or new machine...?

cruster

CAGiversary!
I just started getting disc read errors on my 3+ year old PS2. When I had this problem with my original PS I was able to get the laser mechanism replaced for about $40 at a local shop and it was OK (and actually still is). Does anyone do this anymore - fix PS2s? Or should I consider it a loss and shell out for a PSTwo? Of course this happens after the trade-in deals at EBGames - nice.

Thanks in advance.

i think i saw somewhere that u could call sony and send it in to them and they'd fix it for u. might wanna try that route, although i dont know if their warranty still applies on a 3 year old ps2.

You can send it to Sony and they'll fix it for free. all you have to do is pay for shipping to them.

A friend of mine had the same prob and he gave his broken machine to me. I called sony and they gave me the address to send it to. I got a PS2 for under $15.

that was about 2 years ago and I haven't had a prob with it at all.

I wish i had the # for you, but I lost it. I'm sure if you do a search of the forums it'll be posted somewhere.

Also, just so you know, they wont fix systems that were moded in any way.

Good luck!

check gamefaqs for ps2 hardware something. sony askes questions and depending how you answer then they'll fix it. stuff like have you ever used a game shark or do you keep it next to hot or warm place like a heater or have you ever dropped it and they ask you whats the problem tell them you get a disc erroe message that it doesnt read blue disc.

Yeah basically as long as you've never specifically done something dumb to your PS2 they'll give you the free repair code, ship it to them for 15-20 bucks and get it back in like two weeks, generally good as new.

Well, all I can say is what I did. I was getting DRE's, Vice City and Xenosaga wouldn't play at all on my machine. I bought a CD cleanser (one of the CD's with a brush) for $10. I then turned the diagnostic mode on (this is suppose to center the laser) and I cleaned it. I did this, and it fixed my problem (thanks Gamefaqs FAQ). It may or may not work for you, but if you don't want to be out of your PS2 for a few weeks, some of these ideas might be worth a try.

[quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='Follandboy']It is really easy to fix. I have fixed many of them. Go to:
www.expage.com/howtofixyourps2
This is my website with step by step directions on how fix it in less than a half an hour[/quote]

is this part of your website as well?

Get free video game stuff absolutely FREE. Just Email me at [email protected] your email address and I will get you started. (NO COST)[/quote]

[quote name='trustcompany1013'][quote name='Follandboy']It is really easy to fix. I have fixed many of them. Go to:
www.expage.com/howtofixyourps2
This is my website with step by step directions on how fix it in less than a half an hour[/quote]

is this part of your website as well?

Get free video game stuff absolutely FREE. Just Email me at [email protected] your email address and I will get you started. (NO COST)[/quote]

"is this part of your website as well?

Get free video game stuff absolutely FREE. Just Email me at [email protected] your email address and I will get you started. (NO COST)"

I dont think this site ever lived up to its promises of sending out free gaming stuff monthly, but it doesn't hurt to check out:
www.gamemilitia.com
If it asks for a referal name when you sign up, put in follandboy please

"is this part of your website as well?

Get free video game stuff absolutely FREE. Just Email me at [email protected] your email address and I will get you started. (NO COST)"

I dont think this site ever lived up to its promises of sending out free gaming stuff monthly, but it doesn't hurt to check out:
www.gamemilitia.com
If it asks for a referal name when you sign up, put in follandboy please

bread's done
Back