Question regarding DS -> GBA/GCN connectivity

redgopher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm about to get a DS tomorrow, and I'm wondering if it is possible to connect the Gamecube to the DS to play games like Zelda: Four Swords or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, as well as connect to a GBA and play multiplayer GBA games. It seems to have the same port on the top, when I played it at Crap Crazy. Can anyone confirm this?

nope. doesnt work. multiplayer for GBA doesnt work either

EDIT: your sig pic is how i spent my day. Hori controller, Alien Hominid, playing the PDA games :)

Nintendo has said the DS will be able to hook up to the GameCube, but curently the hardware to do so is not avalable and they do not know when it will be released. But it will be released in the near future.

The reason you can't do it curently is because there are no adapters for DS-GC hook up.

[quote name='CapAmerica']Nintendo has said the DS will be able to hook up to the GameCube, but curently the hardware to do so is not avalable and they do not know when it will be released. But it will be released in the near future.

The reason you can't do it curently is because there are no adapters for DS-GC hook up.[/quote]

If they don't know when it will be released, how do you know it will be in the near future, hmmmmmm? :)

hey that's what they said. They don't know, but it will be in the near future. all I can imagine is that means some time next year. But they don't know when next year.

I this same question before the DS came out, so I emailed Nintendo and asked.

I'm sending off another email and see if they have a better idea of when something is going to come out.

The only way I can imagine there being connectivity between the DS and GameCube is if a WiFi adapter for the GameCube that also replaces the nearly uselesss broadband adapter is released.

[quote name='epobirs']The only way I can imagine there being connectivity between the DS and GameCube is if a WiFi adapter for the GameCube that also replaces the nearly uselesss broadband adapter is released.[/quote]

Actually it should be possible for the DS to communicate with what you use to plug in the wavebird (at least they work at the same frequency, it may require extra hardware if the wavebird is entirely analogue and the DS entirely digital). Of course there is no software to do this and gba games certainly wouldn't be able to take advantage of such a feature. I also doubt that nintendo would offer any kind of firmware upgrade to provide such functionality. Firmware upgrades just aren't nintendo's style.

[quote name='sn0b0ards']Yea my friend is here with his DS, and I just found out that the DS does not work with the NGC. sucks.[/quote]

Which is incredibly stupid considering they pushed the connectivity angle SO HARD with the GBA. That's another reason why I haven't upgraded to the DS as I would still have to keep ahold of and use my SP.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Which is incredibly stupid considering they pushed the connectivity angle SO HARD with the GBA. That's another reason why I haven't upgraded to the DS as I would still have to keep ahold of and use my SP.[/quote]

Perhaps they did it on purpose. Many people are holding on to their SPs for the same reason you are and Nintendo doesn't want the market for used SPs to heat up because they want to sell new ones.

[quote name='polaricecaves']kinda in the same area of reason

You can play gameboy color games on the DS, right?[/quote]

I don't think you can, but ask someone that has one.

[quote name='polaricecaves']You can play gameboy color games on the DS, right?[/quote]

Nope, only GBA games. Not sure why, but that's the way they made it.

I wish the DS would support GCN connectivity. I'm planning on getting a GBA SP so I'll have a brighter screen (I currently have the non-SP GBA) and so I'll have two GBAs for playing Zelda: Four Swords. If the DS were to support GCN connectivity, though, I could skip the SP and go straight for a DS.

This is why they've said it will be a 3rd system, not a true GBA sucessor. Also, almost all the advertisements mention "Will play all single player GBA games". The GBA 's ability to play the GBC/GB games was because they adeed the chipset into that system... something they left out of the DS, probably for cost.

You guys do know you need an adaptor to do GBA to GameCube connectivity. You can't do it right out of the box.

If you guys can chill for a few months Nintendo is planing to release an adaptor that will let you do DS to GameCube connectivity.

[quote name='CapAmerica']You guys do know you need an adaptor to do GBA to GameCube connectivity. You can't do it right out of the box.

If you guys can chill for a few months Nintendo is planing to release an adaptor that will let you do DS to GameCube connectivity.[/quote]

They do know that...and Nintendo is NOT sure that any cube to DS adapter will work the same way a GBA to GC connector did. to them the connectivity was a failure. They will drop it as much as possible right now.

Its too bad Nintendo wasn't able to emulate GBA multiplayer using the DS wireless features. It would have been really cool if they could have.

Well I got a email back form Nintendo. which surprized me because I didn't think anyone worked on sundays, anyway

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

At this time, there is no officially announced date for a release of an accessory that will allow the Nintendo DS to be compatible with the Nintendo GameCube. You never know what the future might hold, though, so keep checking our web site (www.nintendo.com) for the latest information.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Joel Nicholson

I really hope Nintendo announces something soon.
Its a real shame that connectivity was pretty much a failure. I thought it was pretty cool.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='epobirs']The only way I can imagine there being connectivity between the DS and GameCube is if a WiFi adapter for the GameCube that also replaces the nearly uselesss broadband adapter is released.[/quote]

Actually it should be possible for the DS to communicate with what you use to plug in the wavebird (at least they work at the same frequency, it may require extra hardware if the wavebird is entirely analogue and the DS entirely digital). Of course there is no software to do this and gba games certainly wouldn't be able to take advantage of such a feature. I also doubt that nintendo would offer any kind of firmware upgrade to provide such functionality. Firmware upgrades just aren't nintendo's style.[/quote]

No, this isn't remotely possible. There is considerably more to producing WiFi 802.11b connections than merely receiving at the 2400 range. You have to have the specific PHY and MAC silicon or you're simply out of business. Bluetooth uses the same spectrum, too but cannot talk to WiFi equipment for the same reason. The Wavebird by comparison is a very simple setup intended for very low cost and lacks about 95% of the functionality required in an 802.11b network. As well, part of that cost reduction is to make it do only what it needs to do. Thus the Wavebird is a one-way system. The GameCube cannot transmit via the Wavebird connector, it can only receive.

bread's done
Back