Question regarding helping my landlord at small claims court

PenguinoMF

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
So we moved into our apartment back in June and when we moved in it was very dirty and had several issues. The stove or refrigerator were not cleaned, there was cat fur everywhere, there was an old waterlogged cabinet on the back porch, nail holes in the walls, and the floor was scratched badly in several spots. The landlord has tenants fill out a form to mention any problems when you move in so they can be taken care of or not be charged for them when you move out. We filled out the form and gave it to the landlord and took care of most of cleaning problems ourselves because we wanted it done so we can move on.

About a month and a half ago, the landlord came and fixed a problem with the sink and mentioned that he did not return the full security deposit to the previous tenant and that they were going to small claims court over it. He asked us if we would be willing to go to court with him to back up with side since we saw all the problems. We said we would be willing to do that if he needed us to because we don't want to be on his bad side and he is better than our last landlord.

He just called yesterday and said that he had to go to court on 12/17 at 7PM and would like us to come. We told him one or both of us will be able to make it. Now this means we have to request the night off from work which means we may not get scheduled at all that day and obviously take the time to go to the court house.

The question is, is it right or wrong to ask the landlord for something back in exchange for helping him, such as reducing the rent for a month or getting free use of the car port behind the building for a month or 2? I think it is okay to ask for something but I don't know what to ask for. Our rent is $675 a month if that makes a difference. Has anyone experienced this situation before? Thanks

Can you make a notarized statement for him to use in court, in lieu of you having to actually go to court? Could allow you to make a legal statement without having to miss work.

Id go for a notorized statement if allowed if you dont want to miss work but it would look pretty shady, although undestandable, to ask for something in return.

I would say that a notorized statement and the check-in sheet that you filled out and signed showing the problems should suffice. I would ask that you be compensated somehow for taking the time to go to court though. You do not owe that to him and if it will take a financial burden on you then he should have no problem compensating something for it. He will end up paying you far less then the month to month and a half security deposit he kept. Plus he was suppose to use that money to fix the apartment prior to you moving in anyways.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Just be nice to him and do him the favor. He'll help you out when you need it.[/QUOTE]

This- it'll just look bad to say "I'll go, but I want X in return" (especially if he loses.) Just let it be for now, you may need something later (say, an extra week to pay the rent becuase your paycheck's late )and you'll be happy you didn't waste the favor on something frivolous now.

If you have any photos, make sure he gets them. That'll help a lot.

[quote name='Koggit']sounds like you got my old apartment

I WILL RUIN YOU[/QUOTE]

You're a crazy Asian lady with 2 cats and no sense of clean?

Thanks for the suggestions so far though. I think I'm not going to ask for anything in case I need something in the future.

bread's done
Back