Question to anyone who has done a Data Transfer

dgwillia006

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I was just curious on a few things.....

1. Does it also transfer Shared Games/The licenses to play them?

2. Do you HAVE to update to the newest firmware (Even if the PS3's are offline)

3. I have been hearing conflicting reports on whether or not you can transfer data from one PS3 to another using an External Hard Drive (Not sure if its true or not, i thought it wasnt possible)

Conflicting things in your message. How are you proposing a data transfer if they are both offline unless you solely use an external hard drive?

I've done the hard drive method. Since I did not do it after I started playing Demon's Souls, I cannot tell you if it would back that up, but I believe it should. I do know that is one of the game saves you cannot manually move.

My recommendation is to get rid of everything that you can download again - demos, videos, pictures, etc....they all take up space and will force a longer backup time to an external HD. Remember that you need it to be a FAT32 partition for this to work - not NTFS.

My cousin has done the online data transfer. He said it went pretty smooth. My guess would be both need to be on the same firmware revision, but I will let others comment on that since I have not personally done it. I am unsure about the need to be at the latest firmware either.

Err, when i say offline, i mean because im doing them at the Gamestop store, and i was worried that i might need to update the Firmware on the Slim to transfer.

And yeah, i have an external hard drive, but my main worry is whether or not all my Shared Games will transfer and still function. (For the majority of them its impossible for me to log back into the accounts to redownload since the owners are inactive/changed thier passwords)

And i know the Data Transfer transfers everything over, but i was just making sure whether or not the stuff would function on the new PS3. (I would prefer to do the PS3 to PS3 transfer because i heard that transfers everything, while the Hard Drive has insane limitations on what gets transferred and what doesnt)

[quote name='dgwillia006']Err, when i say offline, i mean because im doing them at the Gamestop store, and i was worried that i might need to update the Firmware on the Slim to transfer.

And yeah, i have an external hard drive, but my main worry is whether or not all my Shared Games will transfer and still function. (For the majority of them its impossible for me to log back into the accounts to redownload since the owners are inactive/changed thier passwords)

And i know the Data Transfer transfers everything over, but i was just making sure whether or not the stuff would function on the new PS3. (I would prefer to do the PS3 to PS3 transfer because i heard that transfers everything, while the Hard Drive has insane limitations on what gets transferred and what doesnt)[/QUOTE]

Shared games will not work unless you have an extra slot open in those shares. You must login with those accounts, and deactivate the content. Once you get everything on the new machine, you can then reactivate the content on that new machine.

Oh dammit :(, just what i was hoping not to hear. Well.....looks like i aint upgrading then

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back