Question to PS3 Slim owners from a new Owner

dgwillia006

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Is it normal for the Slim to make wierd noises? (They are kind of loud, sound like clicking sometimes, and sometimes like a disc loading noise).

The system works fine, but the noises scare me

from what I've heard from other's comments. Since the other shell is a different plastic from the older ps3's...they react to heat different and make these 'cracking' type sounds.

Yes, I get that plastic crack sound every time it's on for more than a few minutes. I think it does it again as it's cooling down, I don't remember.

Sounds like a normal sound. I have 60 gig launch model and a launch model PS3 slim. Both make the occasional weird clicking noise. I imagine it's just hard drive or disk drive doing whatever it is that they do. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ah, okay thanks. They just scared me XD. Aside from that the system works fine, though i had never heard anything about random sounds of that nature, especially ones that sound so remiscent of a disc loading noise

i bought mine last week and the disk makes a lot of noise. not sure if its because its in vertical position. my 360 was quieter when playing a game.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']i bought mine last week and the disk makes a lot of noise. not sure if its because its in vertical position. my 360 was quieter when playing a game.[/QUOTE]

ummm they're not supposed to be vertical... The slim is supposed to be flat only

[quote name='NonShalant']ummm they're not supposed to be vertical... The slim is supposed to be flat only[/QUOTE]

ummm is that why Sony makes a vertical stand for it? :roll:

500x_500x_kick2.jpg

Anyway if your PS3 is making more noise than a 360 it's either broken, or not getting enough ventilation. My PS3 is whisper quiet unless it's hot out, or I've been playing a long time. It also depends on the game. Some have the disc constantly spinning.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']Anyway if your PS3 is making more noise than a 360 it's either broken, or not getting enough ventilation. My PS3 is whisper quiet unless it's hot out, or I've been playing a long time. It also depends on the game. Some have the disc constantly spinning.[/QUOTE]
I have my slim on the same table I used to have my fat model PS3 on and the fan ramps up to high, but only with games like the GTA Episodes or Red Dead Redemption.

Considering the fact that I also hear disc loading noises almost constantly with RDR, I'd be willing to bet that it's that causing the high fan speed on my slim, since it's virtually silent on Mortal Kombat II.

The only other time I really hear the fan kick into high gear is when it's hot/humid out.

Oh and btw dgwillia006 you will be hearing loud cracking noises when the system heats up and cools down. Those are normal, but are quite disconcerting at first.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but you guys were right ^_^. The noises practically stopped (Either it was the heat, or i just needed to break the system in). Was hearing 10+ in the whole day i played when i got it, barely heard 5 yesterday, and only heard 2 all day today.

As far as I can tell the slim doesn't have enough vents. My phat ps3 never got this loud or hot with such little play. Constant snap crackle pop, hot game discs when i take them out, and it runs louder than my old ps3 too.
I plan on really talking down to sony right before my warranty expires and telling them i got a faulty machine or they were just using false advertising because my ps3 definately isn't quieter or cooler than my first one.
My first one didn't even last a year and a half and to me this ps3 slim isn't made as when as the pstwo(aka ps2 slim).

[quote name='Mr. 420']As far as I can tell the slim doesn't have enough vents. My phat ps3 never got this loud or hot with such little play. Constant snap crackle pop, hot game discs when i take them out, and it runs louder than my old ps3 too.
I plan on really talking down to sony right before my warranty expires and telling them i got a faulty machine or they were just using false advertising because my ps3 definately isn't quieter or cooler than my first one.
My first one didn't even last a year and a half and to me this ps3 slim isn't made as when as the pstwo(aka ps2 slim).[/QUOTE]
With my snazzy(and short imo) one year warranty from Sony coming to an end soon(next month) I may call them up for in warranty service on my slim too. I did the same when my fat PS3's warranty was just about up as well, since I wanted to get my money's worth for the console and I also wanted an extension on my warranty.;)

Mind ya my fat PS3 was pretty loud at times too and the BOTTOM of the case did get warm to hot depending on the ambient temperature in my room and in general, but it never got as loud as my slim does at times.

There are front vents on the slim PS3 both underneath that front part of the PS3 that juts out over the base of the console, as well as a little stripe at the very base of the console itself. But those are woefully inadequate compared to the ones that used to be on the fat PS3 I had.

bread's done
Back