Questions about 360

HotShotX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
So, I'm interested in getting a 360 Elite, and I want to know if I'm making the right decision considering how shitty M$ has been making them lately.

In short, do the new consoles include the 65nm chips/additional cooling? How about the Elites currently in market? If so, anyone know of a place that's posted proof, as in gutting the console, finding the chips, etc.?

~HotShotX

no. if i were u i would stick with the premium..honestly there is no need for a 120gb hard drive right now. rumor has it that the 65nm chips could be in the systems later on though, its ur call if u wanna wait or not.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']8 months, 4 XBLA games, like 10 games worth of saves and I am yet to even use up a single gig. 120 is definitely overkill.[/quote] My forza demo takes up a gig I think. I would have gotten the elite if I didn't have an xbox already. It really depends if you want to download a lot of movies and demos.

The main purpose of the 120 gig hard drive is for ITV which isn't out till end of this year. If you ever think you will be interested in that, get the Elite because the 120 gig hard drive by itself is way overpriced.

No the 65nm chips are not in systems yet, and we likely won't know for absolute certainty they are being put in until some time after they are. It's not like they will advertise that. And it's also very likely you will not be able to walk into a store and identify a 360 that has it.

In short, don't waste your time worrying about it. If you are thinking that the 65nm will make the 360 less likely to die, consider the fact that 65nm is for the CPU, and usually the failure on the 360 is the GPU. Microsoft isn't switching to 65nm to improve quality, it's primarily for cost reduction.

hmm im wondering the exact same thing as op
and from what ive read so far im leaning towards the premium now rather than the elite
so the 120 gig hd is overkill right even if u get arcade games etc
its mostly for movies/tv shows

Well, maybe I'm the exception, or maybe it's just because I have an Elite and don't have to worry about it, but I've alerady filled 20-25 GB or so of the HD space on my Elite in the 6 weeks I've had it. It is definitely nice to have the space. Sure, I could delete some old demos, but you know what? I don't have to, and that's a nice option. I think for only $80 more it is well worth getting the Elite. You also get the HDMI which might come in handy for any newer HDTV's. Mine has a DVI input so I could get an adapter and use that, but it was easier just to hook up component. I will be getting a newer HDTV sooner or later though along with an HD receiver and the HDMI will be nice for that.

Also, while there's no proof, yet, that the Elite is built any better than the older models, there is the possibility (I mean, it can't be *worse*). There were some comparison shots of the boards and while the components are mostly the same there are some definite differences that might be related to fixes for reliability. I forget the actual site, but they had nice comparison animations. You might want to search back to the threads that were around in this forum right before the Elite launched, or simply search the web for them.

As thrustbucket says, the 65nm chips are not necessarily the savior of 360 problems - they are simply a cost-saving move for MS that have the side benefit of less heat and that *may* result in less failures. They also won't make the system any quieter (my biggest complaint with it) since that is all disc drive noise. Some people seem to think this for some reason. I suppose they may need fewer or smaller fans for the 65nm chips, but, really, the system noise is insignificant compared to the drive noise, at least on my Elite. Maybe the Elite is quieter than a normal 360 when not running disc-based games. If so, that's another reason to get one.

But to answer your question, there is a site that did exactly what you are asking about (gutting/comparing) I just can't remember what it is :cry:.

bread's done
Back