Questions about my xbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DyingInGlory

CAG Veteran
hey everyone here's the deal, i bought my xbox preowned and i normally buy games used as well, but the problem is my xbox keeps saying Disc Read Error at random points of a game and for a while i thougth it was because of the used games, but i just recently bought Espn Footbal 2k5 brand new, and yet again it said disc read error, now i have a year warranty to take my xbox back and get it replaced with another preowned one. . .Should i take it back to get another one? Oh and i asked this question on another site and they said it was because i had a thompson drive? so how can i tell what kind of drive the x box has?? and what is the best kind?

If you're getting errors on most of your games I would take it in and have it exchanged since it's under warranty. A lot of people with the Thompson drives have had difficulties in the past so if you have an older model you're not alone.

i believe thompson were the drives used in 1st gen xbox.. you can goto xbox-scene and dig up how to find out your drive manufacturer. as for trading your xbox for another, id say go ahead. and when they bring out the new one look on the bottom of the xbox it has a date on it. try to find one w/ a recent date. its the date it was made.

Amazingly, a question like this might draw even more helpful hints were it to be posted in the XBox forum as opposed to, say, the DEALS forum.

Edit: Which I see that it now is.

[quote name='DyingInGlory']hey everyone here's the deal, i bought my xbox preowned and i normally buy games used as well, but the problem is my xbox keeps saying Disc Read Error at random points of a game and for a while i thougth it was because of the used games, but i just recently bought Espn Footbal 2k5 brand new, and yet again it said disc read error, now i have a year warranty to take my xbox back and get it replaced with another preowned one. . .Should i take it back to get another one? Oh and i asked this question on another site and they said it was because i had a thompson drive? so how can i tell what kind of drive the x box has?? and what is the best kind?[/quote]

The same thing happened to me when I got my xbox preowned from Gamestop.com ... and it wasn't until I bought a new copy of Oddworld that I realized it was my xbox and had one (1) day left to return the box... fortunately the people over at gamestop were nice enough to accept the box after I called them.. and were quick in replacing that box with this one I have now that works fine... Good luck (yes return it)

I'm on my second Xbox, as is my brother. I moved my first one around to various locations quite a bit, but I followed all of the arcane rules (never leave a disc in the drive, etc.) to try to take reasonably good care of it. Now that I'll have my own living room at school next year, my second one will be staying put. Most problems just seem to be random, however. Consider a warranty (or buy from Costco if you can) to ensure that you can get a new one for free or cheap. Good luck.

I have a refurbed Xbox with a Thompson drive and almost two years later I've never had one problem with it.

I think the whole thing about the Thompson drives breaking easily is bull. Mine has never given me a problem.

I got a new XBox 2 years ago and it has a Thompson drive, and I've never had a problem with it. I've never had a problem with any of my consoles. I think a lot of it comes down to people not being very careful with them.

bread's done
Back