Questions about package loss during trading after you sent the payment (updated)

[quote name='GBAstar']Derpity Derp Derp[/QUOTE]

DC is not insurance, and is a different issue. So, Derp yourself.

Additionally, "Worked into to selling price" means, buyer is paying for it. So Derp yourself, Again.

Look, I'm done with you. The fact of the matter is, this is not a store, this is a trading community, with a set of rules put forth by moderators, and followed by the users. Delivery confirmation is expected in every trade now, cause it was developed as a standard for CAG, not because e-commerce requires it, and Insurance/rules for lost packages has not developed in the same manner for CAG. I've gotten many packages from ebay and other places with no delivery confirmation.

This being the case, and clearly a torn one, it's not up to me or you to decide, you can be as wrong as you'd like to be, but I'll wait for a mod to decide on the issue. If a mod says, a buyer is responsible for lost packages, I will happily add a caveat to my tradelist that says "by accepting any trades you understand that my responsibility ends when I drop the package off with USPS, and I will gladly work with you to reach an equitable agreement in the case of a lost item, but you are not entitled to a 100% refund". That is all.

Say the seller mails out the package but the address supplied by the buyer has some sort of discrepancy in it and the mail is never received... who would be at fault? The seller shipped the package to the correct address and the address itself was not correct, and because it could not be delivered, say it was "lost" upon returning it.... How would anyone know that the package wasn't attempted for delivery? How would anyone know that the address it was shipped to was not a deliverable address?

Say the package was shipped certified and the post office requires a signature to drop it off. The buyer was not home at the time the delivery attempt was made and never thought to check with his local postal agency to see if they were holding it, as many places will do. Would the seller be expected to refund the buyer because the buyer wasn't home and didn't check his local post office? Some places will hold it up to two months before they ship it back to the sender.

Say the seller sends the package and the buyer, for god-only-knows what reason, had to temporarily relocate to another residence (fire, chemical evacuation from train wreck, remodeling, zombie attack, etc)... and the package could not be delivered due to the lack of a forwarding address and/or no mail receptacle, and in the process of not being able to deliver it, the package was sent back to the seller but got lost in the mail upon return... would the buyer or seller be at fault?

I deal with returned mail in my job every day and things come back to my office for all sorts of reasons, and almost every single one of them has a little yellow sticker ranging from "attempted not known" to "not deliverable as addressed" to "no such street" to "no such number" to "return to sender" to "unable to forward" to "no mail receptacle" to "no forwarding order on file" to "moved, left no address" to "vacant" to and actual forwarding address. It can be a pain.

My favorite one is "attempted, not known" because it could mean anything. My second favorite one is "not deliverable as addressed" because that could mean either the address on the envelope is wrong or illegible or that address does not actually exist. My favorite all-time "returned to my office" piece of mail was correspondence sent out in 1983 that was returned to our possession in 2008. The envelope had been "misplaced" by USPS for almost 25 years.

anyhoo... The problem is that the buyer could have fulfilled his end of the deal, which is to pay for hte items. And the seller can fulfill their their end by shipping it off as intended. So, personally, what I would say to sellers is... offer insurance. If the seller doesn't take it, you're not inclined to be responsible if something gets lost. And if the seller requests the item be shipped a certain way through a certain carrier, the seller also shouldn't be at fault.

That's just my take.

BTW... the package arrived yesterday according to the tracking number. :roll:

bread's done
Back