Questions on the Walmart D2D thread

Do you need to have the blu-Ray/DVD case to do the D2D at Wal-Mart

Forgive my ignorance but what is D2D?
Disk to digital. It's done through the VuduToGo software that you download to your PC/Mac. You plug in a movie's DVD or Blu-ray and it verifies that you own the movie and for a small fee allows you to add the movie to your Vudu library (SD or HDX for DVD movies, HDX only for Blu-ray movies).

Both Flixster and CinemaNow have a similar program through their software, but only Vudu allows you to D2D from Blu-ray copies of movies.

Just because the Walmart employee that does in-store D2D may not be 100% familiar with the program, it's best to have the disk in the original case or something that looks like the original case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because the Walmart employee that does in-store D2D may not be 100% familiar with the program, it's best to have the disk in the original case or something that looks like the original case.

A question, and I know this has been discussed at great length in Vudu's support forums but I still don't understand how to get it to work:

My PC's Blu-ray drive allows me to D2D both Blu-ray disks and DVD disks, but every single DVD disk that I try to read using the Blu-ray drive (or even the DVD drive) the disk is immediately unrecognizable by VuduToGo.  Anyone have an understandable way around this issue?

Anyone try because I'm trying to use steelbook ver movies to do with the D2D but I don't want to bring my steelbook with me just the disc

Anyone try because I'm trying to use steelbook ver movies to do with the D2D but I don't want to bring my steelbook with me just the disc
I bet a generic DVD or Blu-ray case would work fine. Or if you don't have a spare one laying around, take the artwork and disk out of another Blu-ray case and use that temporarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all movies  be Used with  D2D like movies like Dragon ball z or full metal alchemist

Last edited:
Are all movies be Used with D2D like movies like Dragon ball z or full metal alchemist
Go to this link:

http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

Add any movies to the list that you can. If you start typing the title and nothing appears then it isn't elligible for in-store D2D. Print out the list and take it to a local Walmart that offers the service. They can tell which account the movies need to go into from the printout. The biggest problem you'll have with this is finding an employee that is familiar with how to do D2D. I've been turned away a few times in the past, it's pretty frustrating.

I heared about a machine were u can do it yourself at a Wal-Mart  how do i find out what store's have them near me

I heared about a machine were u can do it yourself at a Wal-Mart how do i find out what store's have them near me
I've never heard of such a machine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. :) Follow this link:

http://www.walmart.com/cservice/ca_storefinder.gsp

This will supposedly tell you which stores offer D2D services, but I honestly can't tell which stores in the list do/don't offer D2D. It's probably best just to call in to the Photo Center of your Walmart and ask that person.

I have used the In-Home Vudu To Go application and converted quite a few movies, 50+, both Blu-Ray and DVD. I have always used the In-Home app since I know you get 50% off your conversion cost when you do 10 or more movies.

On occasion, I have had an issue where a Blu-Ray or DVD went unrecognized and then the next couple I try do the same thing. I have either restarted the app or kept trying a new one until it was recognized. Then I go back in reverse order of the failures to try again. This has worked for me in the past. I think the app is a bit flaky as it has gone to not responding or froze on several occasions.

So if u do the Wal-Mart way do you also need to pay Vudu too

So if u do the Wal-Mart way do you also need to pay Vudu too
No, you only pay Walmart the transfer fee. But since Walmart owns Vudu the money essentially goes to the same big bucket. There are advantages to using either service:

• In-store: There may be coupons floating around that take $2 off an in-store D2D. I tried to use these several times back in 2013 but I never had any luck. I always tried more than one movie at a time so maybe if I did one at a time I would have had better luck.
  • In-store: If you've ever tried the at-home D2D using VuduToGo, you know how frustrating it is for the app to not be able to read your movie disk or for the app to read it as the wrong movie. By taking your disk with you to the store, you bypass all that technical glitch nonsense.
  • At home: Vudu credits, sold regularly here and at other places on the internet, will cover the transfer fee for adding movies.
  • At home: If you add ten or more movies in one transaction Vudu will give you a 50% discount. However, this promotional discount has been set to expire many times and has been extended just as many times, so I wouldn't consider it a permanent discount.
  • At home: As mentioned above, sometimes the VuduToGo app will recognize your movie as another movie. This is a pretty easy way to get a movie added to your UV collection if you don't actually own that movie. Also, sometimes a movie from a trilogy or a series will be recognized as all of the movies from that series so you can add them all at once from the same disk. That is quite handy. :) However, this is all probably due to the software still being in Beta and having technical glitches, so I think when the Beta is finally over and all the bugs have been worked out that these two hidden gems will probably cease to exist.

A question, and I know this has been discussed at great length in Vudu's support forums but I still don't understand how to get it to work:

My PC's Blu-ray drive allows me to D2D both Blu-ray disks and DVD disks, but every single DVD disk that I try to read using the Blu-ray drive (or even the DVD drive) the disk is immediately unrecognizable by VuduToGo. Anyone have an understandable way around this issue?
I've found that DVD's on average are far more likely to not be recognized. I honestly think this is because on average there are more DVD versions out there of a movie than a Blu Ray and the software simply doesn't have every possible version saved.

Wow awesome deal dude. Thanks so much for posting this in the deals section. Im going to buy 10 of them and flip them on ebay for a tidy sum.
Bad title aside, as it is actually a "Vudu" service rather than Walmart (yes, same company but it's bound to cause confusion), D2D can be a pretty great deal. I've unlocked dozens of HD digital copies of movies for $1 each (typically less because of Vudu credits). I regularly check out DVD's from the library and perform D2D with them as a super cheap way to have access to a copy of that movie.

I've found that DVD's on average are far more likely to not be recognized. I honestly think this is because on average there are more DVD versions out there of a movie than a Blu Ray and the software simply doesn't have every possible version saved.
I tend to agree with you on the fact that there are more variations of a movie on DVD than on Blu-ray, but I get a 100% failure for EVERY single DVD I try on my desktop whereas if I try to D2D a DVD on my laptop I get a pretty decent success rate.

I'm a physical media supporter but this is about the only way I'd ever convert years from now if digital does take over (which I don't believe it will, if ever for many years, internet-wise the US is still behind a ton and these companies won't risk alienating consumers who don't have the means). I have too many films and no way in hell am I rebuying shit I already had to rebuy once with the DVD-Blu conversion.

bread's done
Back