Questions with Transferring Games/Media to New 360

Stoic Person Eater

CAGiversary!
Feedback
231 (100%)
I am getting a new slim 360 and will giving my older model 360 to a relative to use. This is my first 360 swap and I just had a few questions. If you have any insight or know of any "how-to guides" that breaks down any of my questions, I would appreciate it.

1. Is there a way I can transfer all the games, add-ons and media I have downloaded to my new 360, but he can have access to all of the games as well? I've read through Shipwrecks guide to sharing games; not sure if this is the same kind of deal.

1A. If I create a (Gold) XBL profile on my old 360 for him before transferring off my profile to the new 360; will it retain all of the games and other downloads?

2. Can I transfer my profile and games using a USB flash drive or USB hard drive (WD Passport) instead of purchasing one of Microsoft's cables?

2A. If not, does anyone have a cable I can rent/buy from you?

Any heads up, I appreciate it.

If you transfer your content/licenses to the new console, then in order to play your download games and content on the old console, you will need to be logged into it as well. You can't be logged into both at the same time. So the only way to do it is to *not* do a license transfer. Then you will be able to play your download stuff (redownload it) on the new console as long as you are logged into it. Anyone will be able to play the content on the old one regardless of whether or not your are logged into it.

So this may or may not be what you want to do. If anyone else in your family plays Xbox, you'll want the licenses on your new Xbox.

Hopefully that helps.

So you're saying NOT to do the license transfer, but to transfer my profile - log in to the new system as myself and download everything again? Then, my brother will be able to play the games on the OLD 360; will he have to be logged in as me? Can I remove my profile so he doesn't have access to my account, etc?

Example: I have Halo Map Packs on my old 360, is there a way I can transfer those to my new 360, but then my brother will be able to access them as well - but under his account?

I guess I am not too familiar with multiple accounts on a 360 and whether or not games/dlc downloaded are shareable to multiple users on the same 360.

On the old Xbox, any account will have access to the content - your account doesn't need to be on the console. On your new console your profile will have access to the same content, but anyone else logged in will not, unless your account is also logged into it (use a 2nd controller). Oh, and you will only have access to the content on the new console as long as you CAN log into Xbox live. So if your internet or Live is down, you are SOL, but on the other console everything will still work.

It depends on what you want. Because of how licenses are set up, the DLC or game is tied to the account and the very first console that downloaded it.

When you purchase content, you receive a license to use that content. The license has two parts: the system license and the local license. The system license applies to the gamertag that purchases the content, and the local license applies to the console where you first downloaded the content.

So if you bought the game for your console A under your gamertag.... Anyone that uses that old console A can play the game or DLC, no matter what their gamertag is. And that console doesn't have to be connected to Xbox Live in order to use it.

On console B, only the gamertag that paid for the game/DLC can play it. And on console B, the person has to have their 360 connected to Xbox Live in order to play it. So yeah, if the Internet goes down at your house or Xbox Live goes down, you can't access the game.

So if your new console B is the main console, you should transfer the licenses to the new console so that you don't have to be connected to Xbox Live in order to use it. And so anyone can play on the new console B. Otherwise, if you leave the licenses on the old console A, only you can play it on the new console. No one else. And you have to be connected to the Internet on console B in order to play it.

Now, if your point is to share your games. Then leave the licenses on old console A. Then anyone can play on that. And you can play it on your new console B.

Right now, your licenses are on your old console so your bro can play it on the old console under his gamertag. Anyone can play the game on the old console under their own gamertag. But on the new console, only you can play it.

You can't pick and choose which licenses to transfers. It transfers all of them. And you can only do a transfer every 4 months.

I will be the only one playing on the new console, except for guests on occasion. I guess the nice thing to do would be to leave the content for him and then I can use it as I usually have internet and XBL. Perhaps I can get some money out of him for it.

If I do the license transfer, he will have nothing -except what was purchased under his account, correct?

bread's done
Back