Quick question about cable internet- 3mb vs. 5mb for gaming?

A

Apossum

So I've got these two offers right now for cable internet-- 14.99 for 6 months for a 3mb connection and 29.99 for 12 months. Just wondering if the extra $15 will be worth it for PSN and XBL, if there'll be a huge difference. The connection will pretty much just be used by me and usually won't have more than one thing running on it at a time.

any advice on which one I should go with?

[quote name='Zen Davis']Don't go with comcast.[/QUOTE]

I'm stuck with charter, but anyway, i'm wondering about speeds here....

The 3 MB is more than enough for gaming, with a caveat. Usually cable is some large number downstream (3 Meg+ of data coming from cable co. to you), but some really small number upstream (< 500k of data going from you to the cable co.) If you plan on hosting larger games, having a larger upstream number will help. I don't have any hard numbers as far as how much upstream bandwidth different games use, but I would recommend trying to find at least 250-400 kbps upstream. But I think if the 3 Meg plan has at least 250k+ upstream I would go that route.

I just did a quick search and saw one claim that Halo 2 requires ~10k per player, so in theory with 160kbs upstream you could host a 16 player game. That seems a little low to me, but if you err on the side of caution and target 250k you should be ok.

[quote name='mathrandir']The 3 MB is more than enough for gaming, with a caveat. Usually cable is some large number downstream (3 Meg+ of data coming from cable co. to you), but some really small number upstream (< 500k of data going from you to the cable co.) If you plan on hosting larger games, having a larger upstream number will help. I don't have any hard numbers as far as how much upstream bandwidth different games use, but I would recommend trying to find at least 250-400 kbps upstream. But I think if the 3 Meg plan has at least 250k+ upstream I would go that route.

I just did a quick search and saw one claim that Halo 2 requires ~10k per player, so in theory with 160kbs upstream you could host a 16 player game. That seems a little low to me, but if you err on the side of caution and target 250k you should be ok.[/QUOTE]

What Mathrandir said is correct but also remember that if you like Downloading demos and such the 5MB connection will download them alot faster then 3MB connection. I would say it is worth the extra 15 bucks to get the 5MB connection.

I've got Charter's 3meg service, and I can tell you that I can usually host Gears' games through I wired connection with very little lag whining from others.

However, I've been having a lot of little random disconnects with my service lately (the modem will lose and reestablish a connection every now and then). I don't know if it's the modem or if Charter has just been screwy lately.

Anyway, good luck with Charter. Let me know how it works. And the 3meg is about $50 a month here in Mankato, MN, so the price will jump after the promo period is done.

Most games onlyy require a 30-40k up/down stream. You can game comfortably with little to no lag with 768k.

I really wouldnt stress it........................... if you have DSL.

Now Cable modems tend to drop packets like a mofo, so it really doesnt matter if you have 3mb or 5mb... because its gonna lose connection every 10mins.

[quote name='mathrandir']The 3 MB is more than enough for gaming, with a caveat. Usually cable is some large number downstream (3 Meg+ of data coming from cable co. to you), but some really small number upstream (< 500k of data going from you to the cable co.) If you plan on hosting larger games, having a larger upstream number will help. I don't have any hard numbers as far as how much upstream bandwidth different games use, but I would recommend trying to find at least 250-400 kbps upstream. But I think if the 3 Meg plan has at least 250k+ upstream I would go that route.

I just did a quick search and saw one claim that Halo 2 requires ~10k per player, so in theory with 160kbs upstream you could host a 16 player game. That seems a little low to me, but if you err on the side of caution and target 250k you should be ok.[/quote]

Yup!

Its not just the download speed that matters - how much upspeed do you get?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
Now Cable modems tend to drop packets like a mofo, so it really doesnt matter if you have 3mb or 5mb... because its gonna lose connection every 10mins.[/quote]
I've had cable internet for about 7 years now, and not once have I had a problem with my modem dropping connection.

It all depends on the local carrier. In my area, cable is way better than DSL.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Yup!

Its not just the download speed that matters - how much upspeed do you get?[/QUOTE]

It say 512kb.

I think I'm gonna go with the 5mbs connection...

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
Now Cable modems tend to drop packets like a mofo, so it really doesnt matter if you have 3mb or 5mb... because its gonna lose connection every 10mins.[/QUOTE]

I work in internet tech support for a large ISP (leave it at that), and modems should not be dropping packets like a "mofo" or otherwise.

If they are it's often a sign of the down/upstream signals not being strong enough (or too strong) for the modem, a loose coax cable somewhere, a splitter going bad, or possibly the modem itself experiencing issues. You may want to contact your ISP and see what's up.

[quote name='Apossum']It say 512kb.

I think I'm gonna go with the 5mbs connection...[/quote]What are the non-promo prices for those two services? I have to imagine 5MB is gonna be killer after the promo period. I'm paying about $50 a month for (I think) 1.5MB, but that's because I'm stuck with a shitty cable company - my old provider was about the same cost for 3, I believe.

I pay roughly $55 a month for 8mb from comcast...I would say if you can afford it with no problem, always get the faster speed....I can't wait for the verizon fios to be turned on in my area....that is roughly 15mbs for about $40 a month

Well I would go with the 12 month promo period, it's faster and the promo is longer. While you may not need that much speed, unless you plan on moving or switching ISPs that $15 plan will probably jump to $35 or $40 after six months anyways/

[quote name='botticus']What are the non-promo prices for those two services? I have to imagine 5MB is gonna be killer after the promo period. I'm paying about $50 a month for (I think) 1.5MB, but that's because I'm stuck with a shitty cable company - my old provider was about the same cost for 3, I believe.[/QUOTE]

The non promo price for 3mb is $54 and 5mb is $70, but the good part and only reason I'm considering this is that I'm not bound to a contract. I'm gonna try it out for this month and see how it goes.

[quote name='Apossum']The non promo price for 3mb is $54 and 5mb is $70, but the good part and only reason I'm considering this is that I'm not bound to a contract. I'm gonna try it out for this month and see how it goes.[/quote]

WOW thats a lot...

Do you have the option of verison FIOS? what is the comparable DSL offering? Do you get a sizable discount for bundling TV service?

Maybe its just that I live in a different state, but that seems like a total ripoff.

[quote name='Apossum']The non promo price for 3mb is $54 and 5mb is $70, but the good part and only reason I'm considering this is that I'm not bound to a contract. I'm gonna try it out for this month and see how it goes.[/quote]In that case, yeah. It's actually cheaper for the 12 month period.

[quote name='Apossum']The non promo price for 3mb is $54 and 5mb is $70, but the good part and only reason I'm considering this is that I'm not bound to a contract. I'm gonna try it out for this month and see how it goes.[/quote]

Yep, it sucks living out in the middle of nowhere. Where they're the only company and can jack your rates to whatever they wish. Even though Comcast frown upon a lot, I had great experience with them, even at the promo, my prices were still decent. Now here in Alaska, it's about the same as you're looking at, but there is never any promo since it's either take or leave.

[quote name='BattleChicken']WOW thats a lot...

Do you have the option of verison FIOS? what is the comparable DSL offering? Do you get a sizable discount for bundling TV service?

Maybe its just that I live in a different state, but that seems like a total ripoff.[/QUOTE]

I don't think FIOS has made it here yet (Madison, WI.) not sure about the other questions either, but I don't think the discounts are that great on bundles. I think they are the only game in town for cable. AT+T has a DSL service though...

I looked into Charter's prices last year when I moved into my apt and it was outrageous so I haven't bothered to check anything until this promo caught my eye. I have a free wi-fi connection through the building's servers and had free cable since one technician takes care of the whole building and he leaves everything hooked up most of the time. :lol: I know regular cable with no movie channels is $50, or $40 after a student discount :roll:

This new connection is great though. Just a played a bunch of decent matches in Tekken online. there's still some annoying input lag, but last night on my wi-fi connection it was practically unplayable.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't think FIOS has made it here yet (Madison, WI.) not sure about the other questions either, but I don't think the discounts are that great on bundles. I think they are the only game in town for cable. AT+T has a DSL service though...

I looked into Charter's prices last year when I moved into my apt and it was outrageous so I haven't bothered to check anything until this promo caught my eye. I have a free wi-fi connection through the building's servers and had free cable since one technician takes care of the whole building and he leaves everything hooked up most of the time. :lol: I know regular cable with no movie channels is $50, or $40 after a student discount :roll:

This new connection is great though. Just a played a bunch of decent matches in Tekken online. there's still some annoying input lag, but last night on my wi-fi connection it was practically unplayable.[/quote]

I'm glad its working -- and, it was the actual prices not the promo ones that made me balk.

In 6 months, maybe you can switch to a DSL promo, then switch back.. my Mom keept doing that.. never paid more than $30 a month for broadband.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm glad its working -- and, it was the actual prices not the promo ones that made me balk.

In 6 months, maybe you can switch to a DSL promo, then switch back.. my Mom keept doing that.. never paid more than $30 a month for broadband.[/QUOTE]

I went with the 5mb connection so I won't need to. yeah, it's gonna suck when this is over. hopefully some other company will come around within a year.

what's the deal with FIOS? Is it cheaper and faster? how much better than cable is it...

[quote name='Apossum']I went with the 5mb connection so I won't need to. yeah, it's gonna suck when this is over. hopefully some other company will come around within a year.

what's the deal with FIOS? Is it cheaper and faster? how much better than cable is it...[/quote]
I'm on Comcast currently, and never used FIOS.. basically its an alternative to the cable companies.. that I really hope will drive down prices.. as it is competition in that space, and rates are currently absurd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/FiOS/root/address_entry.asp

Fios is an all optical network that verizon is setting up. They got pissed that the cable tv companies were going into the phone market, so they are striking back by offering everything that the cable companies offer, but better packages and cheaper. The have blazing fast speeds for interenet. MSFT I believe is supporting the software on the cable box. I am fairly sure it isn't available out of the gate, but allegedly a really cool feature will be offered in the future.

Currently cable companies send every single channels info to your box and when you change the channel your box takes care of deciphering it. It takes a lot of bandwidth and requires the use of heavy compression. Fios allegedly (from an article I read about 2 - 3 years ago in time magazine) will only send 1 channel (the one you are watching ) to your box. When you change the channel, your box will request the info from verizons servers. This does a couple of things. It will allow for more channels to be available as it won't have the bandwidth constraints. The speed of the network should be very fast, so you shouldn't notice much of a drop of signal when you change the channel. The visuals should improve, as it doesn't need to be compressed. The future thing that I was talking about, is the ability for you to control the camera at sporting events. Lets say you are watching a baseball game, and there are 10 camera's at the event. In theory, the software was developed for you to be able to have access to all 10 camera and to chose the one you want to look at. So if there is a close play at the plate, you can flip the channels to see the best view of the action. I don't know how far off that is, but it sounded awsome to me. Best case scenerio is that fios will get the pricing down for cable, tv, and phone and with the competition, allow for regular improvements on interenet connections.

I have had comcast for a long time, and for the first couple of years, I would get speed boosts every 6 months to a year. They would go up 1/2 to 1mbps in the connection speed. That hasn't happend for me in over 2 years. They claim, that the week before verizon sets up the fios in my area, they are going to double my connection speed in order to compete with the fios 15mbps. That was about a year ago now, verizon had laid the wiring down in my neighborhood about 1 1/2 years ago, but they haven't flipped the on switch yet. My parents who live about 5 min away in the next town, had verizon setup show about 1 3/4 years ago, and about a year ago now they switched the service on. So they are getting about double the internet speed and are paying $25 less a month then I pay and they are out of the promo period. Whenever I call comcast they tell me I am not in a competitive market, and they will up the speed when they can :(

[quote name='Apossum']It say 512kb.

I think I'm gonna go with the 5mbs connection...[/quote]
Dont host games with that in Halo. I have a 488kb (something like that), and my host switches between low green/high yellow bar the entire game depending on if I have a computer on or not at the same time. You will have a mediocre to good host at best (meaning on your host, shots wont hit crossmap). But if you are not looking to host, your upload doesnt matter much, and basically any download speed works as long as it isnt dialup.

[quote name='life.exe']Dont host games with that in Halo. I have a 488kb (something like that), and my host switches between low green/high yellow bar the entire game depending on if I have a computer on or not at the same time. You will have a mediocre to good host at best (meaning on your host, shots wont hit crossmap). But if you are not looking to host, your upload doesnt matter much, and basically any download speed works as long as it isnt dialup.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I'm not too concerned with hosting any games, just playing.

bread's done
Back