Quiet case fans?

dragonsho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
So basically, I built a new comp about a month ago, I dunno if anyone remembers my thread asking for advice. I need a bit more advice now.

As my friend puts it, my computer sounds like a vaccuum. I think that 2 of the fans that came with the case are pretty quiet and good, while the 3 others are quite loud. They are all 90mm. They are

2 x 90mm Side Fan (intake)
1 x 90mm Rear Fan(exhaust)

Can anyone recommend any quiet fans that will pump a decent amount of air?

There's nothing wrong with the standard Antec Quietcool line that Circuit City sells. I've always liked their fans considering noise/airflow/price. Usually around $8-$10.

This is the quietest 90mm fan I could find on Newegg. This one should be pretty quite and moves a good amount of air.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999966

When looking for quiet fans, look for the noise level usually measured in dBa. The quietest fan I ever had is 23.5dBa and was almost silent. The problem with those though was that they didn't move too much air (CFM). Here are the two fans I'm comparing just so you can see what I mean. The AeroCool is what I had originally and what I have no, the Arctic Cooling were the ones I switched to for a bit. There's quite a jump from 23.5 to 32dBa... but they're not too loud so I stuck with the Aerocools.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16835129245,N82E16835186008

Personally, dont buy a quiter fan, buy a fan controller. Thermaltake sells one that controls 4 fans in a 5.25 bay for $26 retail. Sure you could find them much cheaper through other retail outlets online.

Guess Im lucky, my board controls fan speed pending on CPU usage/heat.

Also, the other thing to consider would be if your fans are working in the proper direction. Traditionally you just want one intake fan in the front, then your rear fan to be your exhaust fan. Does your case have plenty of venitilation holes? If it doesnt, it could be causing the fans to over work, causing the extra noise.

I would also suggest a fan controller. You could keep them all on low until you need them (play a game).

Well, I have a Xaser V and the fan controller doesn't work for shit. I have everything hooked up, but the thing is, in the manual, it said to hook up the cpu fan to some connector to the fan controller. I did that originally and every time I booted up it gave me an error that there was no cpu fan. Also, fan control didn't work (dunno why). What I did do, was I just plugged the cpu fan into the mobo (like normal) and don't get the error.

Any suggestions how I could get it working?

Edit:
Also when I open the bezel, there is a connector that says "For Fan 3 Connector" that isn't plugged into the hardcano unit. I am not sure if this should be plugged in or not.

Edit 2:
I just took out the 3 pos fans, and now have just an intake, exhaust, and the heatsink fan. So far CPU is idling around 24 and the cores around 28-30. Pretty good. I just ordered one of those kingwin fans to see how that is. For 3$ shipped, can't really go wrong.

I just received some Antec fans from Amazon that I think were a pretty good buy. I got a couple TriCool 92 MM for $4.95 each, 80MM for $3.95 each, and the elusive green LED 80 MM for $9.99 (mwhahahahaxboxmwahahahahaha). The TriCool series are the ones with the manual 3 speed switch. The other Antec fans are priced decently, too, and I got free Super Saver shipping which came surpisingly quickly. $25 minimum to hit the Super Saver deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-TriCool-unit-TRICOOL-92MM/dp/B00066ISVQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199823013&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-TriCool-unit-TRICOOL-80MM/dp/B00066ISVG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199823770&sr=1-3

You could try one more thing...

If you have your fans hooked up to your mobo's 3-pin fan connectors, Speedfan can actually control them by reducing the voltage. This helps a lot when you have loud fans... used it all the time. The only thing is is that it can't vary the speeds from the the same set of fans.

For example, I have 2 case fans and then my processor's HS fan which can be controlled by Speedfan. If I set my case fan speed to 50% then both of my case fans slow down to 50% speed. I can't vary them... they both have to be the same. I can, however, have the CPU fan at 100% and let the case fans at 50%.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Speedfan only works if I have voltage controllers built into the board, though, right? I only have monitoring capabilities on my boards.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. I've got a pretty basic mobo and it works with mine. You might as well download it and give it a try... can't hurt.:)

bread's done
Back