Racketboy Podcast #30-#35 - New Format! Updated Feeds! New Links! On Twitter!

dsheinem

CAGiversary!
Feedback
136 (100%)
I host the podcast over on Racketboy.com.

UPDATED!
RSS Feed: http://www.racketboy.com/podcast/feed/
UPDATED! Subscribe to iTunes

NEW! Twitter: @racketboypodcst

^^Please note the new iTunes and RSS feeds above, and please follow us on Twitter! I still haven't updated this thread since late last year, but we are still cranking out the episodes. In fact, we recently added a co-host and changed up the format a bit, started posting biweekly, and are doing more things with the show. So now there is still be plenty of the content you've come to expect, but there are also some new additions to the show that we're proud of.

New episodes since I last updated this thread:

Racketboy Podcast #35 – Amateur Auteurism
Racketboy Podcast #34 – PAX East 2012
Racketboy Podcast #33 – Tony Hawk’s Global Warming
Racketboy Podcast #32 – XSEED and Endless History on Ys, Trails, and Falcom
Racketboy Podcast #31 – The Reset Button (first episode with a co-host)
Racketboy Podcast – Special LIVE Show
Racketboy Podcast #30 – Henry Lowood on Game Preservation

Go check them out and share your thoughts!

PAST EPISODES:

Episode #29 - Final Form Games
Episode #28 - The Protomen
Episode #27 - The Speed Demos Archive
Episode #26 – The Able Gamers
Episdoe #25 – Live @ TooManyGames III – James Rolfe & Brett Vanderbrook
Episode #24 – Let’s Get Shakes With PBC
Episode #23 –The Smithsonian’s “The Art of Video Games” Curator Chris Melissinos
Episode #22 - PAX East 2011
Episode #21 - Star Wars Dark Forces Project Leader Darron Stinnett
Episode #20 - Forum Moderator Roundtable
Episode #19 – Atari 2600 Homebrew

Episode #18 – MechCorps @ DragonCon
Episode #17 - Live @ TooManyGames II (Brandon DiCamillo, Island Officials, and Chipocrite)
Episode #16 - Mike Posehn and Dave Foley on the Strike Series
Episode #15 - Indie Shmups
Episode #14 - Retroware TV
Episode #13 – Garnet Hertz’s Outrun Project
Episode #12 – Console Modding w/ Ben Heck and Bacteria
Episode 11 – Live @ TooManyGames

Episode 10 – PAX East Retro-Roundup Pt. 2: The Best of Indie 2D
Episode 9: PAX East Retro-Roundup Pt. 1: Arcades, Wombat, & Retro Stores
Episode 8: Phantasy Star
Episode 7: Keith Apicary/Nathan Barnatt
Episode 6: Apple 1 Replica Creator Vince Briel/Programmer Dave Foley/J.J. Hendricks of videogamepricecharts.com

Episode 5: Programmer Steve Cartwright/Super Fighter Team President Brandon Cobb

Episode 4: Britt LaRiviere, founder of The Speed Gamers/ Desert Bus for Hope team (Loading Ready Run)

Episode 3: Wizard of Wor Record holders

Episode 2: Smash TV Programmers Mark Turmell and Eugene Jarvis

Episode 1: Kurt Kulata of Hardcoregaming101/Racketboy/The Video Game Critic

------------

When you find time, I'd appreciate if you could listen and offer some feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd bump this as I hadn't updated the post since Podcast #2. Any CAGs listening to the show? I'd love to hear your feedback!

I do writing for 8 Bit Horse, and I check in on the racketboy site periodically to check out impressions of retro games. I had actually listened to he first podcast previously (the one with Kurt Kulata), which I found pretty fascinating. Obviously, anyone who's looking into 2D and/or retro games is going to need to check out H101. It was interesting hearing how it came into being, and how Kurt decides which games to cover.

I'm sure I'll check out the others later. It seems like there's been a lot of really good retro gaming coverage hitting over the last few years, which is great. But it also means that the amount of podcasts in my ever-growing queue can be difficult to keep up with. So, I find myself revisiting ones that have particular subject or interview that I'm interested in.

But yes, I like what little I've heard so far, and I've enjoyed reading some of the ther stuff on racketboy.com as well.

[quote name='escapekey']I had actually listened to he first podcast previously (the one with Kurt Kulata), which I found pretty fascinating. Obviously, anyone who's looking into 2D and/or retro games is going to need to check out H101. It was interesting hearing how it came into being, and how Kurt decides which games to cover.

I'm sure I'll check out the others later. It seems like there's been a lot of really good retro gaming coverage hitting over the last few years, which is great. But it also means that the amount of podcasts in my ever-growing queue can be difficult to keep up with.

But yes, I like what little I've heard so far.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the complement! I agree that there's a lot of retro gaming stuff out there right now, much of it quality - some of it not. We're really trying to push for quality over quantity with an interview-based podcast every 3-4 weeks featuring interesting and relevant guests.

And as much as I have my own personal opinions on games/game culture, I don't think that people want to hear me chatter and spew incessantly about why I love X game and not Y game. I don't think they need to know what I think of the newest retro-revival game, and I don't think they need my take on recent game news. My hope is that we can become something like the audio pseudo-equivalent of the short-lived G4 "Icons" show, where the focus is on the people who shape the games industry/culture, not on the hosts of the show :cool:. I personally think that the one-on-one interview format really works best for what we're trying to do.

I'm a fan of the Video Game Critic, so I listened to your first episode when it debuted. I recently subscribed through itunes, and listened to the first parts of the "sega nerd" and Phantasy Star episodes. Terrible. I unsubscribed.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I'm a fan of the Video Game Critic, so I listened to your first episode when it debuted. I recently subscribed through itunes, and listened to the first parts of the "sega nerd" and Phantasy Star episodes. Terrible. I unsubscribed.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you feel that way. Do you have an endeavor you care about that I can come take a shit on?

A strong majority of the feedback for the show has been very positive. The rest has been constructive criticism. Congrats on being the first plain 'ol asshat.

[quote name='dsheinem']Sorry you feel that way. Do you have an endeavor you care about that I can come take a shit on?[/QUOTE]Yeah, I care about my ears, but that "sega nerd" episode already took a shit on them, so no further effort is required. ;)

Seriously, who was that? Surely that wasn't a real person.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Yeah, I care about my ears, but that "sega nerd" episode already took a shit on them, so no further effort is required. ;)

Seriously, who was that? Surely that wasn't a real person.[/QUOTE]

Keith Apicary: a character played by Nathan Barnatt (who was interviewed as "himself" in the second half of the recording). He's quite popular over on Screw Attack and does live stuff in comedy clubs in LA. Granted, his humor isn't for everyone. The questions/content for that episode was selected by a listener who won "director rights" for a show in a charity auction...

All of this is explained (with links to clips, etc.) in the link for that episode above.

Gave episode 9 a listen today at work. Excellent podcast! I was thoroughly blown away. I'll keep a lookout for future episodes.

[quote name='nickerous']Gave episode 9 a listen today at work. Excellent podcast! I was thoroughly blown away. I'll keep a lookout for future episodes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words. Episode 10, the second half of our PAX coverage, is now up.

I enjoyed #10 alot.

I'm somewhat biased given my relationship with one of the interviewees, but I'm genuinely interested in anything that raises awareness of indie games and/or 2D. These are 3 of the more interesting indie developers out there, and each has some really excellent titles that stand well on their own even against mainstream games from major developers.

Glad to see some of you are listening. Let me know what you think - good or bad! Constructive criticism is always welcome.

New show!

Check the end of the first post in this thread- if we have any artistically inclined CAGs that would want to help us out. please let me know!

Comments on Episode 15:

Lots of great industry insight in these interviews, once again. I was particularly suprised by the Matthew Doucette inteview. He is an active participant in the community at large and has worked on some well-produced games, so it was interesting to see that he hasn't had a tremendous amount of experience in that area.

The interview with Adam Melecki was also very interesting, especially given his wide range of duties with the company. Rockin' Android a lot of interesting titles from Japan and have developed a strong cult following. They are practically an Atlus for doujin shooters, and I look forward to seeing what else they bring over, particularly the games that are being ported to the downloadable console market, since that market is largely untapped in this area.

Not a lot to say in terms of constructive criticism. I did notice a lot of microphone noises in the first 2 interviews which was kind of distracting. For these kinds of interviews, I tend to prefer video podcasts to audio-only, if for no other reason than to be able to see what's being discussed. Obviously, that's a lot more work, but I think it would really add to the shows.

Either way, lots of interesting content and great guests, as usual. I really enjoyed the editorial section in this episode and would love to see it expanded.

[quote name='escapekey']Comments on Episode 15:

Lots of great industry insight in these interviews, once again. I was particularly suprised by the Matthew Doucette inteview. He is an active participant in the community at large and has worked on some well-produced games, so it was interesting to see that he hasn't had a tremendous amount of experience in that area.

The interview with Adam Melecki was also very interesting, especially given his wide range of duties with the company. Rockin' Android a lot of interesting titles from Japan and have developed a strong cult following. They are practically an Atlus for doujin shooters, and I look forward to seeing what else they bring over, particularly the games that are being ported to the downloadable console market, since that market is largely untapped in this area.

Not a lot to say in terms of constructive criticism. I did notice a lot of microphone noises in the first 2 interviews which was kind of distracting. For these kinds of interviews, I tend to prefer video podcasts to audio-only, if for no other reason than to be able to see what's being discussed. Obviously, that's a lot more work, but I think it would really add to the shows.

Either way, lots of interesting content and great guests, as usual. I really enjoyed the editorial section in this episode and would love to see it expanded.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback! This show was a lot of fun since shmups are probably my favorite genre (even though I suck at them). Most of the mic problems are on the end of the other person - not much I can always do about that. A video podcast is a harrowing thought, and I would need some serious help for something like that.

Did you remember enter the contest? Not many entries so far - there are free Gundemonium games to be had!

Yeah, I'm no video expert, but we usually ask the developer to provide a few minutes of footage, and just let it run in the background. I know that there's plenty of software out there that makes it somewhat less painful. Of course, a 1.5hr podcast would take a long damn time to produce, and the file size would be a tad unreasonable.

Just a suggestion. The nice thing about suggestions is that it allows me the opportunity to provide insightful remarks without actually having to do any work :).

And no, I totally forgot to enter the contest. I hopped back on here to leave comments when I was finished. Of to do it now...

I haven't heard 15 or 16 yet, neither one seems to be up on iTunes??

I dl all my casts directly thru iPhone lol

[quote name='JEKKI']I haven't heard 15 or 16 yet, neither one seems to be up on iTunes??

I dl all my casts directly thru iPhone lol[/QUOTE]

The feed on iTunes was created by a fan but they aren't always able to update as often we'd like. We are trying to get it switched over. Sorry for any delays...

bread's done
Back