Radeon HD 2400 vs GeForce 9400 GT

MaddogMonty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
If all you want is to output at 1920x1080 I would just grab the cheaper Radeon and save the $.

[quote name='HowStern']If all you want is to output at 1920x1080 I would just grab the cheaper Radeon and save the $.[/QUOTE]

Great thanks. So it should be sufficient for just browsing the web and such?

9400gt is equivalent to a 2400hd according to tom's.

however, those two cards you have linked, the 2400 has 256mb memory, the 9400gt has 1gb.

I am not familiar with these cards specifically but I can apply general knowledge to maybe help you out.

the onboard memory is usually looked at for higher resolution textures in games. lots of vram is good, but ONLY if the card can keep up with the speed of the ram. if you've got a ton of ram and the gpu can process the information fast enough to matter, then... well it isn't going to matter how much vram you have.

so, the question is what are you focused on here? do you want to do gaming on this machine or is it strictily a video playback rig?

benchmarks i'm reading for the 9400gt are putting games like devil may cry 4 at a fairly low 1280 resolution at an almost unplayable 17 fps even when on low settings. however it does just fine with HD video playback.

the 2400hd with half life 2 ep1 benchmarks struggles as well on lower resolutions with 20-25fps. you should see this video of COD4 on the lowest possible settings (640x480 resolution even :lol:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb57YdvnZxM

Its pretty bad, and thats the "pro" version of the card, better than the one you have linked from newegg. But I would say both cards are equally poor at playing new.. well I guess you can't even really call them newer games anymore hl2:ep1 is fairly old now and COD4's sequel is coming out.

Both seem to work fine for hd video playback though.

Thank you very much for your time crystalklear64. I have a 360 which I use to do my primary gaming so I should be fine in that regard. I really just want to do some casual computer usage and have a decent video quality to go with it.

I always prefer Nvidia, but based on what you want to do and the price difference I think the ATI card would be fine.

That 9400gt is almost $20 more than the 2400. No reason to spend more money than the 2400 when all he wants is support for 1920x1080 for web browsing and casual usage. He has a 360 for gaming he said.

Oh man it hurts me to think about buying either of those cards for that kind of money. Honestly the only right answer is to save that $70 or so and put it towards a new machine. Neither of those cards is worth more than $25 in PCI Express form.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Oh man it hurts me to think about buying either of those cards for that kind of money. Honestly the only right answer is to save that $70 or so and put it towards a new machine. Neither of those cards is worth more than $25 in PCI Express form.[/QUOTE]

Hmm that makes no financial sense :) He doesn't use the computer for any gaming at all. He just wants to surf web at 1920x1200. The $60 HD2400Pro will get the job done. Yes it's ridiculous to spend that much for a PCI video card, but it's more ridiculous to spend $300 on a new computer to do the same thing he'll be doing with the $60 PCI video card.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back