Radiata Stories (Square Enix PS2 RPG) $19.90 JPN/Asian @ Play-Asia.com

Why is it so cheap? I thought imports went for MORE than normal (which I would expect to be $50 for this game). The reason I ask is that I have this preordered at GR, and would switch the preorder to something else if this is going to be released as a budget title in the US. Either that or maybe it isn't that great and thus it has been discounted sharply since release in Japan? In that case I'd switch it because it might not be a good game. Any ideas?

[quote name='io']Why is it so cheap? I thought imports went for MORE than normal (which I would expect to be $50 for this game). The reason I ask is that I have this preordered at GR, and would switch the preorder to something else if this is going to be released as a budget title in the US. Either that or maybe it isn't that great and thus it has been discounted sharply since release in Japan? In that case I'd switch it because it might not be a good game. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

It will not be a budget title in the US. It will cost at least $40. As for the game not being very good, you are correct. In Japan, the sales and reviews were not that good. It seems the game is trying to be innovate, but the battle system system and story are average at best. Also a lot of people were expecting more from the makers of Valkyrie Profile and star ocean, so maybe their expection were too high. I suggest looking up at some of the comments from people who played this game on gamefaqs

What the OP didn't mention is that the deal was only for a week... Play Asia apparently has a deal of the week type thing, and Radiata Stories was the deal of the week.

It will go back to 60 in a day... look at the link, where it says "Deal Expires in 1 day, 6 hours, and 10 minutes"

This is like Gamestop's deals on their website that go up for a few days, with the stopwatch.

The GameFAQ's board for this only has one page (from what I saw), and opinions seem to be split. It seems alot of the people expected something totally different then what they got. It's a crappy place to go for reviews anyways... wait until it starts hitting some review sites here to see what goes on.

blah, I know enough japanese to manuever menus (thank you Star Ocean, before the friggin sweet patches came out). Twenty bucks?- may as well see how it goes.

The style may be like Threads of Fate, but it's nothing like the game at all. It s more like Star Ocean 3 mixed with Saga Frontier. Its a free roaming scenerio system with a day/night feature and a battle system kind of like a simplifed Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

[quote name='62t']It will not be a budget title in the US. It will cost at least $40. As for the game not being very good, you are correct. In Japan, the sales and reviews were not that good. It seems the game is trying to be innovate, but the battle system system and story are average at best. Also a lot of people were expecting more from the makers of Valkyrie Profile and star ocean, so maybe their expection were too high. I suggest looking up at some of the comments from people who played this game on gamefaqs[/QUOTE]

Actually, it received a 36/40 from Famitsu magazine (the most well-known Japanese gaming mag)'s four judges, including a 10 from one of them. It sold 152,000 units its first day out (Jan. 27), and as of February 13, it had sold 253,000 units. I wouldn't call that "not that good."

[quote name='Drakken']Actually, it received a 36/40 from Famitsu magazine (the most well-known Japanese gaming mag)'s four judges, including a 10 from one of them. It sold 152,000 units its first day out (Jan. 27), and as of February 13, it had sold 253,000 units. I wouldn't call that "not that good."[/QUOTE]
while Famitsu is popular, it is more like saying gamepro is well known and respected in the US. The review are really short and they tend to favor Nintendo games. It seems you only list the sales for the first few weeks. The game did sold well at, but the sales up to now is a lot less than other Tri-Ace games. Again it is a lot more helpful looking at comments from people that played the game and see what they like and dont like than to rely on scores or sales.

I bought the game a few months ago at nearly full price. It's not very good. Graphics are excellent, but the battle system is really slow and boring, especially compared to Star Ocean 3. I think it will be better in English, because the storyline is more focused on humor, but as a game it's pretty mediocre. Still, for $20, I'd say it's worth it.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']most of squarenix's recent games are average at best...[/QUOTE]

You're right, they churn out a lot of average at best games now... like the awful Brave Fencer Mushashi game on PS2 (the original PS1 version was pretty good but I don't know what happened to the sequel).

They used to spread out the games more and have longer production cycles... but now they're trying to cash in all their cash cows and mediocre new franchises.

bread's done
Back