Radioshack to start buying your Used video game consoles

Ye0ldmario

CAGiversary!
I just heard that Radioshack is letting people trade-in their video game consoles for store credit. Here's the article.

As the US economy tightens, and business gets tougher, more and more companies are turning to second-hand goods sales to help pad their bottom lines. Which is why Radio Shack will now accept console trade-ins.

Yes, the venerable old chain announced today that the pre-owned trade-in program it's been trialling on its online store will now be rolled out to 4400 Radio Shack stores across the US.

Under the scheme, customers can take their old console, trade it in and "apply the value of old products to new purchases".

According to Radio Shack's site, you can get "as much as" $76.50 for a Pro 360, $113.79 for a Wii and $175.44 for an 80GB PS3.

Code:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jAP9DmuDec8LZL_MQ5-C53BPjJFQD97ISC981

Of course you can get more money if you sell on craigslist.

Thoughts?

I think I can get more after smashing my consoles with a hammer and putting it on ebay than what they are giving for trade ins ~_~

It might be fun, though, to just bring in ALL of your used electronics and just see how much they'll give you. Then, politely decline and leave with all your stuff.

Really? A few of my local shacks have said they're getting out of the game business (as evident with their clearance sales).

[quote name='Guerrilla']Really? A few of my local shacks have said they're getting out of the game business (as evident with their clearance sales).[/quote]

Well, this really isn't so much about gaming as it is about the expansion of their electronics trade-in program. I don't know all the details, but I doubt they are the ones selling the used electronics. They are probably playing middle man for another company, sort of like how Amazon is buying used games now, but they aren't the ones selling them.

This is kind of hilarious to see. There's this company online (forgot the name), that buys used electronics.

They offer around the same prices as these, and you can trade in towards an HD radio or something like that.

But hey, there's always desperate suckers out there.

Can't RadioShack just go die? Bye-bye. I don't have anything against RadioShack. I think their time is up. Sorry. There's one in a block away from my home but I hardly shop there. =P

Speaking of "as much as," of course RadioShack would say this. RadioShack is a business chain thus nearly ALL businesses likes to deal with dirty, I wonder when will they wash their hands, really? =/

[quote name='DuelLadyS']What do you think they'd do if I showed up with the broken Atari that's been sitting in my closet since freshman year? :lol:[/quote]

You'd have to pay THEM to take it? :D Or I'd take it if it has the tv cable/adapter for it, since I lost mine. I still have a 2600 from when I was a kid. I used to have two and I dumpster dived a shitload of games I didn't have from the local college when the kids left for home the one year.

I had probably 100-200 games for it at one point, which I sold with a complete system with paddles and all for $20 or so. :roll:

[quote name='greenrocks']Can't RadioShack just go die? Bye-bye. I don't have anything against RadioShack. I think their time is up. Sorry. There's one in a block away from my home but I hardly shop there. =P

Speaking of "as much as," of course RadioShack would say this. RadioShack is a business chain thus nearly ALL businesses likes to deal with dirty, I wonder when will they wash their hands, really? =/[/quote]

I like Radio Shack, at times, but Gamestop is worse with the bullshit they pull with the select trade values page on their site. I actually liked when they had 'tradestop.com' set up because you could look up many games and they'd tell you the values for them without you having to go in and hear their laughable TIV's in person.

But I guess enough smart people were using that site and just decided to use their old games as coasters/frisbees because they found out that's all they were worth to Gamestop. I guess due to that fact, Gamestop wasn't getting enough traded copies of Madden 2002 for PS2, so they took the site down.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You'd have to pay THEM to take it? :D Or I'd take it if it has the tv cable/adapter for it, since I lost mine. I still have a 2600 from when I was a kid. I used to have two and I dumpster dived a shitload of games I didn't have from the local college when the kids left for home the one year.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had the cables for it- the only reason I know it's broken is becuase I took it to a retro game con and found some guys nice enough to hook it up and test it for me. (Somehow, I think I've always hoped I'd get it fixed. In all likelyhood, I'll end up doing option b: mounting the motherboard into a shadowbox as a wall display and re-purposing the casing into a desk set. :D)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Is it a 2600 and if so, is it a Sunnyvale Heavy Sixer? I believe those go for a decent buck on Ebay. They had six switches, a bit more plastic trim and heavy RF shielding, among other things.

I've found a few sites with articles about them, but no really good up close pictures.

Here's the main pic I found for one of them: http://www.atariage.com/2600/systems/sys_AtariVCS.jpg[/QUOTE]

Yes and no- it's just yer plain black 2600... I like it better than the wood grain VCS, hence the repair/wallbox/desk set plan as opposed to just tossing it.

bread's done
Back