Rainbow 6 Vegas FREE on Xbox Live (9/16-9/30)

To me this whole MS throwing us a bone twice a month came about after the huge E3 PR nightmare with the announcement of the Xbone and all of their horrible decisions. With the way MS execs had snide remarks for people that complained about the always online mode, mandatory Kinect and no used copies among other controversial choices like being $100 more expensive than the PS4 just made people including loyal Xbox fans irate.

The PS4 dominated presales and MS knew they were going to flop big with their arrogant business model. The only thing MS did right was listen to the feedback and basically did a 180 on all of their inept decisions for the future. The XBL dashboard looks like a commercial app for non videogame products. They tried to do some damage control to win back 360 users as they were just focusing on the Xbone launch as the exclusive AAA release games have been non-existent this year for the 360. They now decided that they will continue to support the 360 for a few more years and their make good is to give away free antiquated games just to say we appreciate your support. It is all just a PR stunt to repair their image so they can say they are giving away free games even though these specific games have been taken out of mothballs.

MS never cared about its customers or providing quality service. You pay the $60 a year for the privilege to play online as if it is even an option when all they push is online. They don't like developers giving free DLC away as they like to make commission off of every purchase even if developer's want to provide free DLC. Just like if a company needs to patch a game to provide something of better quality to the customers, MS wants to charge them for this. They have loosened their stand on these things in recent times, but make no mistake, all of this is to salvage their reputation for future sales and not because they care about their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this thread is like a minefield.

Was going to point out, the DLC for this game is free, there are two packs.

Personally, I don't really mind the games, especially since these licenses are tied to our account even if we stop gold and the fact that this was something that I did not really expect when I signed up for gold, it's definitely a nice gesture.

Are they older games? Sure, doesn't make them any less enjoyable.

Comparing what is being offered to the competition =/= self entitlement. The moment PS+ started giving away games Microsoft should of reacted. They didn't. Now it's just one of the many reasons Xbox One is going to be in last place next generation

You are either a immense microsoft fanboy that doesn't understand competition or a troll.
What their competition is offering is completely irrelevant to the argument. The fact of the matter is, you paid for a service knowing exactly what you were getting, so you have no right to expect more down the line. Also, you can stop with this inane fanboy rhetoric, as it's immensely hypocritical. I'm not a fanboy of anything (unlike a certain person who mentions why another company is so much better in every sentence), I'm just a logical person who won't bitch and moan about not getting something I didn't pay for. Again, this is not a part of the service, it's a bonus. I may not like half the games they've selected, but if I like even one game, then it's a plus for me, because they could have decided to offer nothing at all. When I bought my membership years ago, I sure as hell didn't do so in anticipation of free games.

Seriously pathetic. Playstation gave away Sleeping Dogs a couple months ago. I was hoping XBOX would do the same but nope they suck.

:rofl:
Playstation did not give away Sleeping Dogs. They rented the game to you, and as long as you pay the yearly fee for PlaystationPlus, you will continue to have access to it. Miss one month (or in the event that the PS3 servers are eventually closed) and it will no longer be yours. Providing premium games for the duration of your membership is the defining feature of PlaystationPlus, and I think it's an awesome deal.

XboxLive Gold has a main feature: online play in the most robust console gaming community available. As an extra, additional bonus, Microsoft has decided, of their own volition, to provide games for Gold members free of charge. Once downloaded, they remain able to be played in perpetuity. Consequently, the value of the complimentary games offered will not match the value of the more recent games being rented on PlaystationPlus.

When I stay at a hotel, I'm paying for a room, a bed, access to a shower, and clean sheets and towels. If the hotel offers a complimentary breakfast I will usually partake, even if it is only yogurt and bagels. If I want eggs and bacon, I am free to go accross the street to a restaurant. However, I won't scoff at the cold breakfast because it costs me nothing.

BetterToGive, I don't mean any disrespect, nor do I wish to single you out. There is a lot of the same sentiment that you expressed in this thread and elsewhere, and I simply wish to spend my two cents.

No, these games aren't great for the xbox live member that has owned the system since 2008.  However, for the thousands of people that bought the system more recently, these free releases are the tits!  Almost every release has been a Platinum Hit, an excellent release, that gamers once loved.  Games for Gold has been awesome for me.  I've previously owned but a single GwG release. DR2, AC2, and Defense Grid, have all been gifts, and well worth the $3 a month I pay for Live.

At this point in the campaign, can't someone come up with better complaints?  These posts are rehashed every two weeks.  You are the people i point to when I hear complaints about Hollywood spitting out the same predictable crap, over and over again.  The average public loves repetition,

No, these games aren't great for the xbox live member that has owned the system since 2008. However, for the thousands of people that bought the system more recently, these free releases are the tits! Almost every release has been a Platinum Hit, an excellent release, that gamers once loved. Games for Gold has been awesome for me. I've previously owned but a single GwG release. DR2, AC2, and Defense Grid, have all been gifts, and well worth the $3 a month I pay for Live.

At this point in the campaign, can't someone come up with better complaints? These posts are rehashed every two weeks. You are the people i point to when I hear complaints about Hollywood spitting out the same predictable crap, over and over again. The average public loves repetition,
I would tend to agree with you on the games being free complaint, but I will not loosen my opinion on the company unless I see them continue this free program when the Xbone comes out. Now I don't expect brand new next gen games being free, but if MS says they will continue to support the current 360 users for several more years and not stop support immediately after the Xbone comes out, then I want to see this free games program continue. If not, it was simply a smoke and mirrors PR move to repair their damaged image after the horrible E3 debacle.

From my perspective, after having PS+ for a few months now, the main difference between the two programs is largely irrelevant. Most people don't want to play old games. If PS+ gives you a 1 or 2 year old game, you play it, then delete it. Meanwhile the free games for Xbox 360 are extremely old and most people have no interest in them. Sure the games are yours forever but who really cares when they're super old and for the 360 without any sort of "crossbuy"? Point being, the system is on its last legs. How many people want to own a digital copy of some old ass shooter for the original Xbox? Not many people would care and that's going to be the situation here in another year (2 tops).

That said, I'm taking the games because why not? Also, I want to get the developers some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your opinion. However, people tend to forget a huge thing and that is the PS+ aggressively reduces AAA games and adds them into bundles with free DLC weekly. Also, there have been many PSN games that have been marked at $15-20 and for PS+ they are free on day one. I remember a game I was looking forward to for a year that was released on PSN called Stacking and it was free on day one. I would have gladly paid $15 for that game to support the developer. There are many times I am shocked at how Sony gives us PS+ subscribers these incredible deals and I am afraid this generosity by Sony will not continue as they have truly spoiled us.

Finally got the master of ceremonies achievement last night. So many people playing MP last night, I'd reckon it was near launch server population.

Playstation did not give away Sleeping Dogs. They rented the game to you, and as long as you pay the yearly fee for PlaystationPlus, you will continue to have access to it. Miss one month (or in the event that the PS3 servers are eventually closed) and it will no longer be yours. .
You can't speak with any certainty as to what the future will hold for digital PS3 games. I doubt they'll just suddenly yank them from subscribers. You should also note that your previously downloaded games will reappear once you renew your subscription to Plus.

One can argue the rental thing, but I'd rather have unlimited access to a $28 game during my subscription than a $3 game. That's the current used price in both Sleeping Dogs and Rainbow Six Vegas.

If Microsoft is going to mimic PS+ and offer free games, I think it's perfectly fair as a consumer, to make light of the fact that they're being as cheap as possible with it.

Does Sony have a much better relationship with third parties to be putting up games like Sleeping Dogs, Battlefield 3, and Hitman? Or are they just putting forth a better effort to deliver their customers some value?

Just like anything, vote with your wallets. I know I am.

If Microsoft is going to mimic PS+ and offer free games, I think it's perfectly fair as a consumer, to make light of the fact that they're being as cheap as possible with it.

Does Sony have a much better relationship with third parties to be putting up games like Sleeping Dogs, Battlefield 3, and Hitman? Or are they just putting forth a better effort to deliver their customers some value?

Just like anything, vote with your wallets. I know I am.
I honestly really hate playing games on the PS3. Because it isn't my main console, every time I turn it in on it takes hours to update. Obviously consoles need to update titles, but it just seems far more frequent on the PS3 then the Xbox.

There are aspects of all consoles that need to be worked on.

Let's face it no one here at CAG is paying full price for xbox live gold service (I regularly see deals for 35 to 40 a year, rarely do I see PS+ on sale.) so you can't compare full price to full price.

That being said, getting a free game is cool. I personally missed out on Crackdown when it was originally released. I thought the game wasn't very good, and reminded me of Red Faction, but worse. But whatevers, I played through most of the game until it got too buggy to play.

As for Magic. Obviously I am a fan of it. I got a copy of it provided for me before it was released and considering there was already 3 versions of the same game already that are not cross platform I marked it as a pass. But for free? It is an incredibly deep strategy game that delivers hours and hours of gameplay can't argue with that and can't argue that for nothing.

bread's done
Back