Ram Problem??

Tennisjon2002

CAGiversary!
On my computer I have 512MB of RAM but I have been getting messages saying I am low on virtual memory. When I go under System Info., it says I have 448 Mb of Ram. Is this bad? Like my other computer says 512 When I look there? Is my ram bad or is RAM more of an estimated size? Thanks

[quote name='Tennisjon2002']On my computer I have 512MB of RAM but I have been getting messages saying I am low on virtual memory. When I go under System Info., it says I have 448 Mb of Ram. Is this bad? Like my other computer says 512 When I look there? Is my ram bad or is RAM more of an estimated size? Thanks[/QUOTE]

You're probably running too many things in the background. Your computer can only multitask so much.Turn off everything except your browser and antivirus. press Control-Alt-Del and look at the task manager. Go to processes and see what's using a lot of your CPU.

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']umm this isn't really the right board to post this... but I have no clue.[/QUOTE]
My bad I feel like such a noob!!!! I haven't been here in a while (I was addicted so I tried to quit) and hadn't realized the computer section!!! My bad can a mod. please move!! thanks

Virtual Memory has to do with the computer using your a portion of your hard drive as RAM which you can increase if you have a big hard drive. As Jaykrue said make sure unnecessary programs are closed and if you have different accounts make sure they aren't running programs.

Also check that other programs aren't running in the background that you want. Check for spyware, etc. If you want, you can also be safe and run Memtest.

[quote name='JSK414']Get more ram... Newegg has pretty good RAM at competetive prices.[/QUOTE]
I was planning on getting more ram but my computer is still under warranty so I wanna know (being a cheapass) if I can get some for free!!

like someone said before, make sure someting isnt running that shouldnt be. it could be a virus thats running in the backround, so check that out.

oh, and even if your computer is under warranty, i seriously doubt you would get extra RAM from any company. its the kind of thing you pay extra for.

[quote name='jalu6']like someone said before, make sure someting isnt running that shouldnt be. it could be a virus thats running in the backround, so check that out.

oh, and even if your computer is under warranty, i seriously doubt you would get extra RAM from any company. its the kind of thing you pay extra for.[/QUOTE]
I believe my ram is bad, it is only coming up as 448mb not 512. Therefore I would get new ram under warranty. I would also then look around for more ram, sorry if I confused you but I didn't expect to really get more ram from the company.
So can someone tell me: Should System Info show only 448mb???? Shouldn't it say 512???

[quote name='guyver2077']dont know why you have low virtual memory but it sounds like you allocating 64mb to video memory[/QUOTE]

That could be very true. If I recal, tennisjon has an Emachine, which most likely has Integrated video.

[quote name='Moxio']That could be very true. If I recal, tennisjon has an Emachine, which most likely has Integrated video.[/QUOTE]
yea I do have a emachines and a 64mb video card. Do i really need a better video card? I don't game on my computer, I surf the web and stuff. So can someone tell me why my computer is saying I have 48 mb of ram?

because the rest is used by video....emachines generally used shared memory

that's not your problem

it could be spyware or virus related

post a pic of your running processes (ctrl-alt-del)

[quote name='Tennisjon2002']yea I do have a emachines and a 64mb video card. Do i really need a better video card? I don't game on my computer, I surf the web and stuff. So can someone tell me why my computer is saying I have 48 mb of ram?
[/QUOTE]

Because 64 of your 512 is used by your Integrated video. 448 + 64 = 512.

[quote name='Moxio']Because 64 of your 512 is used by your Integrated video. 448 + 64 = 512.[/QUOTE]
yea makes sense now duh

[quote name='Tennisjon2002']Here are my processes:
[/QUOTE]

These are the most suspicious ones I can see. Run your Norton Antivirus, Adaware and Spybot through these files:

csrss.exe
alg.exe
lsass.exe
smss.exe

Also, considering you have integrated RAM, I would suspect that Norton (a process guzzler) and Photoshop (another one) can be contributing to your problem. Also you might want to see if you can disable your AOL and see if that helps. Disable Microsoft's Picture It as well and see if that does anything. And if you're using Nero, InCD is an annoyance. Try and shut that down. You definitely need to clean out (defrag your comp) if you are running that many things at once and it's really stopping you. You might also think about switching antivirus programs - Norton is resource hog. Try Mcaffee or AVG.

bread's done
Back