Ran 2-disc Criterion Collection (OOP) - $14.90 at Frys

The blu-ray comes out in a few weeks but Amazon has it listed as just French and Spanish subtitles, so I think it might just be a lazy port of the HD DVD.

If you haven't seen it, and like Kurosawa, I think it's a must-watch/own. I wish I had a frys in my area to get one (if anyone gets an extra copy PM me) :(

Also from what I've read, the upcoming Studio Canal Blu isn't that great. The Criterion version is probably the best you'll see in the US.

[quote name='token2k6']well for once all stores in my area show this in stock..do I really need this??[/QUOTE]

You could resell it, even used, and get your money back+.

[quote name='freshzen']The blu-ray comes out in a few weeks but Amazon has it listed as just French and Spanish subtitles, so I think it might just be a lazy port of the HD DVD.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, the blu ray is not Criterion.

[quote name='blakhawkjohn']Sadly, the blu ray is not Criterion.[/QUOTE]

I could honestly care less who makes it as long as it has English subtitles.

[quote name='freshzen']I could honestly care less who makes it as long as it has English subtitles.[/QUOTE]

So you don't care if the transfer is shit then? From what I've read, the Criterion edition is still going to be the superior version of the two. I'd suggest you find a copy rather than buy this mediocre Blu-ray release.

Criterion would have been nice, but the important thing is the Blu-Ray is currently the nicest way to see Ran.

BTW if anybody wants the Criterion DVD version, I might be selling mine.

If you live in the NYC area, this will be playing at the Film Forum for two weeks (5th through the 18th). Part of a Kurosawa film block since January.

[quote name='Pasco']If you live in the NYC area, this will be playing at the Film Forum for two weeks (5th through the 18th). Part of a Kurosawa film block since January.[/QUOTE]

nice, wish I'd known about that in Jan.

bread's done
Back