Random Lockups, Ram Timings.

ricky715

CAGiversary!
I have a Biostar TP43D2-A7 mobo and some PC6400 OCZ ram. The ram timings are supposed to be 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v i think and the mobo sets them at 5-5-5-5-18, no matter the volt setting. I've tried everything between 1.8 and 2.1 and its a no go. For a long time the system would lock up randomly, with no indication as to what went wrong. I have read on some other forums that they are having some problems with this mobo and ram. It seems to be running fine now, running for about an hour (longest yet). I go into the bios and try to change the timings myself and it wont let me do anything to the numbers. I'm very new to ram timings.

Thanks
Ricky

Yikes. You probably need to discuss this on a board specific to your motherboard. I have a MSI motherboard and I can change my RAM timings however I want. It's hard to believe it isn't hidden somewhere in your BIOS.

I figured out how to change the ram timings, and it didnt change anything. I think it might be my evga 8800gs. Sometimes before it crashes it will do the display driver has crashed and has recovered thing, but after that it will lockup. I've updated to 177.66 beta as per instructions on another forum, but no dice. Any ideas?

Ok, so another weird thing.
The led's on the board were saying vga error and it wouldnt post. Just for kicks i turned the psu upside down and it worked. turned it back and it stopped working. must have done it 5 or 6 times so im pretty sure it wasnt a coinsidence. Very weird. I'm typing this on the crashing computer, and i dont know how long its gonna last.

[quote name='ricky715']Ok, so another weird thing.
The led's on the board were saying vga error and it wouldnt post. Just for kicks i turned the psu upside down and it worked. turned it back and it stopped working. must have done it 5 or 6 times so im pretty sure it wasnt a coinsidence. Very weird. I'm typing this on the crashing computer, and i dont know how long its gonna last.[/quote]

Personally it sounds like a power supply issue. The random crashes, and then the physical aspect of turning it upside down... What kind of PSU is it?

Another test I would run would be Memtest. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and create the bootable ISO. Let it run for at least 5 loops, and see what, if any, errors occur. However, I would truly lean to it being a PSU issue...

bread's done
Back