Randy Johnson Perfect Game

goldengraham

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I dunno how many of you follow baseball, but old man has just thrown a perfect game . I'm really pulling for him, not a D-backs fan but an admirer of someone who is 6'10" and can throw a baseball 100+ like he can.

Pretty unique thing, what is he like the 14th or so person to ever throw a perfect game? He is probably the best picther though to throw one ever.. well Cy young I think tossed a perfect game.. but I know clemens hasn't nor maddox. Martinez tossed a perfect game through 10 but lost that was a few years ago.

ya to go, a great accomplishment, and gives the d-backs something to cheer for this year. (may be slim from here on out)

[quote name='Lootr2Core']Pretty unique thing, what is he like the 14th or so person to ever throw a perfect game? He is probably the best picther though to throw one ever.. well Cy young I think tossed a perfect game.. but I know clemens hasn't nor maddox. Martinez tossed a perfect game through 10 but lost that was a few years ago.

ya to go, a great accomplishment, and gives the d-backs something to cheer for this year. (may be slim from here on out)[/quote]
I think its 16 making him no. 17

Just checked out cbssportsline.. he is the 15th.

there was 2 before the modern era,
and about 7 or so 'unofficial ones' like the martinez one, or one guy came in for Babe ruth after the first batter and retired every other batter (the 1st guy got on base on ruth but then was thrown out trying to steal, hence this fella got credit for the out)

Perfect games are great, but I don't know if any can top Don Larsen's. The guy isn't even a particularly good pitcher, but he comes and throws one in the WORLD SERIES! Against the Dodgers no less, amazing stuff.

yup hard to top that.

However.

Reading now about Harvey haddix Pitched 12 perfect innings, lost in 13th on an error, sacrifice bunt, walk and double.

12 perfect innings!

[quote name='Lootr2Core']Just checked out cbssportsline.. he is the 15th.
[/quote]

No, he's the 17th. 15th in the modern era.

He's giving up 2 hits in like the last 17 innings.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']i find it odd that hes only had 1 perfect game prior to this. He sure is a pitching phenom.[/quote]
you mean no hitter right?

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='BasketCase1080']i find it odd that hes only had 1 perfect game prior to this. He sure is a pitching phenom.[/quote]
you mean no hitter right?[/quote]

Yeah, that's probably what he meant, at least that's what Johnson has now, I no hitter and 1 perfect game.

the only reason i even know of his name is b/c of this video i saw of him. he pitched, and it struck a bird. it was so hilarious, all the birds feathers flew off instantly and u could c a featherless bird dropping down to the floor. it actually really closely resembled those old cartoons.

[quote name='dcfox']I'm more surprised that Clemens doesn't even have a no hitter at this point.[/quote]

Its just his pitching style wont really allow for it.

Must be a great day for pitching, Jason Schmidt of the Giants just threw a one-hitter. Only hit was a cheap infield hit too.

[quote name='"RichD1"'][quote name='Lootr2Core']Just checked out cbssportsline.. he is the 15th.
[/quote]

No, he's the 17th. 15th in the modern era.

I'm wondering, 50 years from now will the records still be 'in the modern era" or the last oh say 75 years be called something else, and new records will develop?

This was the 15th perfect game of the modern era, which began in 1900.

So since the modern era began in 1900, and baseball began in the mid 1800's shouldn't we now be in the 'postmodern era' or something else?

[quote name='goldengraham'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='BasketCase1080']i find it odd that hes only had 1 perfect game prior to this. He sure is a pitching phenom.[/quote]
you mean no hitter right?[/quote]

Yeah, that's probably what he meant, at least that's what Johnson has now, I no hitter and 1 perfect game.[/quote]

2 no hitters. A perfect game IS a no hitter.

I'm wondering, 50 years from now will the records still be 'in the modern era" or the last oh say 75 years be called something else, and new records will develop?

Depends if there are any drastic changes in how the game is played from now until then.

He may be 17th but he is also the oldest player to ever pitch a perfect game. That's pretty damn impressive.

By 3 and a half years! That's insane!

[quote name='Lootr2Core']
So since the modern era began in 1900, and baseball began in the mid 1800's shouldn't we now be in the 'postmodern era' or something else?[/quote]

No, the game hasn't changed much since then.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']he's lucky he got two runs from his team, DBacks blow hard[/quote]

Thats for sure(but better than tampa)

[quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']he's lucky he got two runs from his team, DBacks blow hard[/quote]

Thats for sure(but better than tampa)[/quote]

thats not saying much though

He grew up in Livermore, CA which is where I'm from. I was just visiting his high school (my rival high school) today. :D

The secret is in the mullet he had a 2.89 ERA coming into the game so he has hardly had a bad year. his win loss record is bad cause he gets no support

[quote name='AtmaWeapon']He grew up in Livermore, CA which is where I'm from. I was just visiting his high school (my rival high school) today. :D[/quote]

That's pretty cool. Kerry Wood went to the High School I was supposed to go to until I moved. My neighbor was friends with him

I went to his other perfect game when he pitched for the seattle mariners. Also i saw a chris bosio no hitter and Griffey and Buhner hit the cycle in consecutive seasons.

Im almost glad i grew up without a father. Thanks for the free tickets Big Brothers!

[quote name='Lootr2Core']was there a 'drastic change' between 1899 and 1900? It seems to just be a nice round figure.[/quote]

It's not.

The American League.

[quote name='RichD1'][quote name='Lootr2Core']was there a 'drastic change' between 1899 and 1900? It seems to just be a nice round figure.[/quote]

It's not.

The American League.[/quote]

1901 american league started wasn't it?

maybe 1900-1955 should be one 'era' then 1955-- be 'modern' since the color barrier came down and the Negro league folded.

how bout this 1955-1990 modern era

1990-2004 steroid era

2005+??

EDIT: 1955-197? (whenever Curt Flood won the free agency lawsuit)

1977-199? Modern era
199?-2004 Steroid Era
2005+ the yankees vs everyone else era.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever'][quote name='Lootr2Core'][quote name='Ikohn4ever']he's lucky he got two runs from his team, DBacks blow hard[/quote]

Thats for sure(but better than tampa)[/quote]

thats not saying much though[/quote]

I could put in, well at least they are almost better than the Winnipeg Goldeyes in the great Northern League of Baseball.

[quote name='Lootr2Core']maybe 1900-1955 should be one 'era' then 1955-- be 'modern' since the color barrier came down and the Negro league folded.

1990-2004 steroid era

2005+??

1977-199? Modern era
199?-2004 Steroid Era
2005+ the yankees vs everyone else era.[/quote]
I heard something about major league putting an asterisk next to Barry Bonds' record. What ever became of that?

[quote name='Lootr2Core']maybe 1900-1955 should be one 'era' then 1955-- be 'modern' since the color barrier came down and the Negro league folded.

1990-2004 steroid era

2005+??

1977-199? Modern era
199?-2004 Steroid Era
2005+ the yankees vs everyone else era.[/quote]

Yes, AL started in 1901.

2005+ = Yankees era? Yankees era started in 1918. *laughs at Boston*
The color barrier can't be considered because it wasn't a change to how the game is played; neither were steroids. Besides, I don't make the eras.

Not to sound dumb, (I'm not a baseball fan and can't find the answer in any of the news stories) but what exactly is the difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game?

[quote name='ezempel']Not to sound dumb, (I'm not a baseball fan and can't find the answer in any of the news stories) but what exactly is the difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game?[/quote]
A perfect game, no opposing runner reaches a base (via error, walk, strikeout of a wild pitch/passed ball), in a no hitter, a runner can reach, but a hit is never recorded.

bread's done
Back