"Rare" and "Valuable" Games

azel

CAGiversary!
I've been collecting (meaning that I actually hold on to my games) for about 7-8 years now and I've noticed some definite trends in the market.

Around 2000 or so, the "Rare" game market really hit its peak. This was when you could sell copies of Chrono Trigger or FF3 for 60-70 bucks+, rare NES titles for $50+ (DW3/4), and htf systems (i.e. Vectrex or Turbo Duo) for serious cash.

I remember buying copies of many rpgs back around this time, thinking they would be RARE or VALUABLE. It turns out that most of my collection has not appreciated in value but has actually depreciated somewhat. This is due in part (I feel) to re-releases, emulation, and piracy.

Nonetheless, the holy grails of gaming (Panzer Dragoon Saga, boxed heavy sixer Atari, Dracula X) have actually appreciated in value, while those aforementioned have not gained nearly as much or have lost value.

I think the lesson to be learned here is - Don't buy games because you think they will be worth money. I've seen people on these boards talking about "rare" PS2 rpgs (hell, even Rez isn't that rare) and other mass-produced software.

Just like comic books, baseball cards, magic cards, etc. - Only the most valuable will likely retain their value. Don't buy into the hype.

Pretty well said. Do not buy an old game to resell. Play it. It will likely depreciate as you said. If buying for an investment, only do so if a game is dirt cheap (i.e. CC $5 sale). You may get some appreciation then, but is still likely not gonna get you the same return as a real investment, like mutual funds.

The only RPG I consider valuable is Earthbound for SNES.

I actually owned a copy when it first came out -- box, guide and all of the inserts. I sold it like an idiot in order to get a N64... which I think was a mistake. I shoulda mowed a few more lawns.

Anyway, those go for a lot of money on eBay. I got a cart and the guide for $45 or so four years ago. I just wish I had the gigantor box to go along with it.

As far as the rare next gen console games... I honestly don't mess with those titles. None of them look that good to me, to be honest.

The only RPG I consider valuable is Earthbound for SNES.

250,000 copies means Rare? Valuable... maybe for now. But once people realize that it takes little effort to find it, Earthbound's price will drop. Just like the Top Loading NES, just like any model of Atari 2600. I could go on, but there is no point, because people don't listen.

Of the thousands of games out now for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, ONE GAME is a bonafide authentic rare game, and that is NCAA Basketball 2K2 for the Nintendo. Recalled a day before it's on-sale date, very few copies made it out. You see it on Ebay all the time because people know the backstory to it, but realisticly very few copies made it out. Maybe less then 1,000 even.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Of the thousands of games out now for the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, ONE GAME is a bonafide authentic rare game, and that is NCAA Basketball 2K2 for the Nintendo.[/quote]

It's actually NCAA Basketball 2K3.

A quick fun fact: To date, it's the only college basketball game on the GC.

It's actually NCAA Basketball 2K3.

Duh... you're right. Me is smart. Me is learneded.

Anyway, unlike other recalled games (such as the Guy Game), this is a rare instance where they shipped the game and then changed their minds and recalled it before it's official on sale date. Visual Concepts had a tiff with Nintendo and decided that Nintendo wasn't worthy of the 2K series. If I recall correctly, it was because Nintendo wouldn't put their games on Nintendo's kiosk discs. Fun times.

[quote name='azel']
Around 2000 or so, the "Rare" game market really hit its peak. This was when you could sell copies of Chrono Trigger or FF3 for 60-70 bucks+, rare NES titles for $50+ (DW3/4), and htf systems (i.e. Vectrex or Turbo Duo) for serious cash.

I remember buying copies of many rpgs back around this time, thinking they would be RARE or VALUABLE. It turns out that most of my collection has not appreciated in value but has actually depreciated somewhat. This is due in part (I feel) to re-releases, emulation, and piracy.
[/quote]

I'd say the two biggest reasons for depreciation in your collection are re-releases like you pointed out but also a change in the interests of the gamming population. The shit has been towards PS1 RPGs, now that they are difficult enough to find more people have started to focus on them and in doing so less attention is paid to nes and snes games with the exceptions being earthbound and Mega man X2,3 since all the FFs and BoFs for the snes have been ported to newer consuls. With the new Mega man X collection comming out possibly an earthbound port in the future we could see a total disconnect between those who buy these games to collect and those who buy them to play.

In the long run yes collecting older games doesn't pay off because even if the interest remains who can predict what will get ported and what will be "rare" enough to hold some value.

Instead if you wish to collect for profit take a look at newer RPGs like Shadow Hearts until the sequel hit it was $20 everywhere then it jump up above $50 and is now slowly falling down, there is a period with most RPGs in which if you collect them for a little while you can make a bit of a profit.

There are still limited run games being produced. The problem is that people are looking for rare games in the mainstream game category.

Baldr Force EXE for the Dreamcast is an example of a current game recieving a limited production run.

All very well said in this thread. Many should look to it to understand gaming and what it is all about. People can collect games but for the real aspect of gaming, to play and be entertained.

[quote name='javeryh']Does anyone know if "rare" and "valuable" games will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Yes because only a million were made so if you don't open them for ten years you'll be rich.

[quote name='azel']I think the lesson to be learned here is - Don't buy games because you think they will be worth money. I've seen people on these boards talking about "rare" PS2 rpgs (hell, even Rez isn't that rare) and other mass-produced software.

Just like comic books, baseball cards, magic cards, etc. - Only the most valuable will likely retain their value. Don't buy into the hype.[/quote]

Buying games/comics/cards as investments instead of putting said money into the stock market or even bonds = teh stupid.

bread's done
Back