Rare Guides on craigslist (West Warwick, RI)

WebScud

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
In my nightly craigslist searching I found this:

I have a bunch of video games guides. Most are unavailable to purchase anymore. Some are collecters items. I will list the names and e-mail with an offer for one book or for the whole lot.

Legend of Mana
Legaia 2
Grandia
Tales of Destiny 2
EHRGEIZ
Saga Frontier 2
Breath of Fire 4
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Arc the Lad
Summoner
Threads of Fate
Splinter Cell(stealth action redefined)
Maximo
Metal Gear SOLID
Lunar(silver star story)
Summoner 2
Grand Theft Auto (vice City)
Extermination
Dragon Warrior 7
Star Ocean the second story
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy Ultamate Guide
Resident Evil 1
Valkyrie Profile
Onimusha 2 (samurai's Destiny)
Final Fantasy 4 (final Fantasy Chronicles)
Metal Gear Solid 2
Armored Core(another Age)

All books are unripped and in mint condition. Picture can be supplied upon request. Email me for more information.
I really don't know if there's any deals here since the guy knows that he has some rare stuff...but it never hurts to send an offer. I mean, it's craigslist. He has to be epecting some lowball offers...

http://providence.craigslist.org/ele/162868524.html

[quote name='WebScud']In my nightly craigslist searching I found this:

I really don't know if there's any deals here since the guy knows that he has some rare stuff...but it never hurts to send an offer. I mean, it's craigslist. He has to be epecting some lowball offers...

http://providence.craigslist.org/ele/162868524.html[/QUOTE]

I guarantee he expects Ebay prices, he is just too lazy / dosen't know how to use Ebay.

The fact that he knows some are collectors items means he's done his research.

If the guy was closer, I would try and contact him about the Valkyrie Profile guide. I've been looking around all over for one of those. I'm not willing to pay ebay prices for it though.

[quote name='erehwon']If the guy was closer, I would try and contact him about the Valkyrie Profile guide. I've been looking around all over for one of those. I'm not willing to pay ebay prices for it though.[/quote]

If you want to work something out with him I'd pick it up and mail it for you. You'd just have to cover shipping and like $5 for gas. Warwick is a bit of a drive for me.

I got an email back saying someone offered $300 plus shipping for all of them. Have no idea if that is true or if they were trying to get me to up my offer.

Sold, to me for more than that plus shipping. Needed many of these for my personal collection, guides are my favorite thing to collect- rare, out of print and not coming back in any form ever again and also usually MUCH rarer than the game themselves, also easy to store.

not sure how much raregamergirl paid for those guides. but at around $300 it would be a good price. More than a few of those guides are easily worth $50+. Of couse he also throw in a few common guides like Onimusha

I dont plan on putting them on ebay (the more common ones will be traded in to store, not worth selling on ebay and I keep all guides for my personal collection that are worth keeping. I keep any rare items I get that I think I wont see again. I meant to bid on that eternal darkness tomb edition that a CAG member had, but forgot to, now that is a rare piece). I know all the local game stores and help them out by selling items for them for basically free and have other connections as well. I make virtually no profit though, as I try to only sell items in perfect condition.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']how do you safely do an exchange involving shipping on craigslist?[/quote]

You don't. In fact, they recommened that you do only face-to-face transactions. People get scammed in-person, so the risk via mail is much worse.

On the other hand, it's not too far from waht we do in the trading forum. It's just missing the "close community" aspect.

I actually gave her like $325 shipped for media mail, and there is no way media mail will cost $25 so in all reality it was a bit more. its not the bargain of the century, but to be able to find that many hard to find guides in one spot is a great thing. Its weird because the user actually does have a few of them on ebay right now, I suspect they will take down the ebay listings.

so, raregamergirl, how much do you think the Secret of Mana, Breath of fire 2 + 4, Final Fantasy 3, and Links Awakening guides sitting right next to me could fetch?

this goes far above the "cheap ass" part of gamer.. sorry.. guides are a waste of time.. i got some orarina ones and some Final Fantasy ones and a parasite eve one then various old nintendo powers (SNES era) with a bunch of guides in them.. but i don't go out of my way for them.. if i see them on the cheap then yeah.. but not 300 .. thats not cheap.. and games are easier to storethen guides IMO

Well, I sell a lot of games so its more difficult, sometimes things get mixed up etc. Guides, I keep on a a shelf and they just sit there. Nobody ever asks to borrow them or would ever attempt to steal them because they are, well, guides. You wouldn't believe the games I have had stolen, or that people "borrow" without asking me about. I try to keep people away from all my games now. Its a collection, and those are out of print guides that you really don't see. This is the second best deal I have ever gotten on strategy guides.

As for those guides you listed, the Secret of Mana guide is somewhat obscure, but for some reason is not worth that much compared to other RPG guides. It is worth around $30. Breath of Fire 4 is about $20. They made two versions of FF3, one by Nintendo power that looks official and one not. The more official looking one is worth around $30 while the unofficial version is worth around $45. The breath of fire 2 guide is very rare (I believe it is by prima, i have one), but only worth about $35. Link's awakening guide is around $20.

So you have about $140 or so in guides there so pimp tryanny's estimate was spot on target.

[quote name='urzishra14']this goes far above the "cheap ass" part of gamer.. sorry.. guides are a waste of time.. i got some orarina ones and some Final Fantasy ones and a parasite eve one then various old nintendo powers (SNES era) with a bunch of guides in them.. but i don't go out of my way for them.. if i see them on the cheap then yeah.. but not 300 .. thats not cheap.. and games are easier to storethen guides IMO[/QUOTE]

Many people will argue with you on that. I've actually been doing a lot better lately with harder to find guides than games. It all depends on your source, but most of the guides I get are inbetween $3-5, and they go for $10 and up. Games usually cost more for the same amount of profit

Dave

Not really, post them here and either I can tell you or other CAG members should be able to. Generally, it is only RPG guides that are worth anything. There are a few exceptions, such as harvest moon for the ps1 and a few others. if you cant find it on ebay either in completed items, active items or in an ebay store, then it is somewhat obscure, could be rare.

I bought a lot of guides on here for $115 shipped recently. I thought it was a decent deal. Kept about 30 for myself(bolded) - and the rest went up on tradelist/half.com. Already sold $100 worth. Some guides like Leisure Suit Larry surprised me - sold that one for $17.

Batman Begins
The Punisher
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 3 Limited Edition Guide
The Getaway: Black Monday (w/bonus dvd)
Jade Empire: Limited Edition Guide (w/bonus dvd)
Psychonauts
OddWorld: Stranger's Wrath
Burnout Revenge
Conker: Live and Reloaded
The Art of Tekken
The Art of Tales Of Symphonia
The Art of Tales Of Legendia
Dynasty Warriors W-Force Art Book (Hardbound)

Jak X: Combat Racing (w/bonus dvd)
TimeSplitters Future Perfect
F.E.A.R.
Gran Turismo 4: Driving The Game (Hardbound Art and concept guide)
Half-Life 2:Raising The Bar (Hardbound Art and Concept Guide)
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
The Suffering: Ties That Bind
ATV Offroad Fury 2
007 Bond Everything or Nothing
Armed and Dangerous
Beyond Good And Evil
Chrono Cross (Shiny Exclusive Cover)

Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Deus Ex 2: Invisible War
Enter The Matrix
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Chronicles

Freedom Fighters
The Getaway
GTA: San Andreas
GTA: Vice City
GTA 3
Gran Turismo 3
Grandia 2

Hitman Contracts
Halo
Jak 2
Kingdom Hearts
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Lade
Metal Gear Solid 2
Max Payne 2
Medal of Honor Rising Sun
Mafia
Midnight Club 2

Medal Of Honor Frontline
XIII
Onimusha Warlords
Onimusha 2
Parasite Eve
Primal

Project Gotham Racing
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Red Faction 2
SSX 3
Silent Hill 2
Spider-Man:The Movie
Sonic Adventure
Sly Cooper
Sly 2
Spider- Man 2:The Movie
StuntMan
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Twisted Metal Black
Tony Hawk 3
Thrasher Skate and Destroy
Unreal Tournament 2003
Anachronox
Mafia (PC)
Call of Duty (PC)
GTA 3 (PC)
Medal of Honor Breakthrough
Medal of Honor Spearhead
Max Payne (PC)
Max Payne 2 (PC)
No one Lives Forever 2
Unreal Tournament 2004
Star Wars KOTOR (PC)
Duke Nukem 3D (w/bonus cd)
Tron 2.0 (PC)

leisure suit larry guide is somewhat rare, seemed to have a low print run. those dynasty warriors books are pretty cool, IMO, but arent worth much for some reason. surprising considering there are a lot of dynasty warrior fans out there. c
hrono cross guide is worth about $30 or so. FF guide's are worth about $10 each, expect chronicles to go up in a year or two, not to anthology numbers though as anthology was a low print run title and chronicles has a high print run.
kingdom hearts guide is surprisingly worth about $12 or so. parasite eve is about $15. silent hill 2 is worth something now (the movie effect still), about $25 (might want to sell that one if you have not already, its usually about a $5 guide).
few others worth $10 or so max, but a pretty good deal. No $50 pieces or anything ultra rare but a very nice pickup.

Here's the guides I've got, can you tell me if they're worth anything?

Castlevania Symphony of the Night Unauthorized Secrets & Solutions (Prima) - I've seen this one go for quite a bit.
Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn Official Perfect Guide (Versus Books)
Official Resident Evil 2 Strategy Guide (Gamefan Books)
Official Street Fighter III Strategy Guide (Gamefan Books)
Official Darkstalkers Jedah's Damnation Strategy Guide (Gamefan Books)
Street Fighter II Turbo Hyper Fighting Strategy Guide (Gamepro)

I've also got a couple Japanese guides:
Street Fighter Zero 3 Official Guidebook Challenger's Edition
Street Fighter Zero 3 Official Guidebook Master's Edition
Gamest Mook Vol. 123 Rival Schools

Thanks for your help.

i sold my Castlevania Symphony of the Night Unauthorized Secrets & Solutions (Prima) for $30 - prob couldve gotten more but bought it for $10 two months ago so no biggie.

the castlevania guide is worth around $40 or so.
I dont even know what street fighter 3 is (perhaps alpha 3 or double impact or yadda yadda 3).
the shadows of amn guide is pretty rare, worth between $15 and $20.
RE 2 guide is cheap, $5 or so
darkstalkers arcade guide is between $10 and $15 (have this, one just ended on ebay for just under $15, I bought mine on ebay for less than $10 shipped a month or so ago)
street fighter guides are cheap, usually never more than $5

Have no idea on the japanese guides.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Well, I sell a lot of games so its more difficult, sometimes things get mixed up etc. Guides, I keep on a a shelf and they just sit there. Nobody ever asks to borrow them or would ever attempt to steal them because they are, well, guides. You wouldn't believe the games I have had stolen, or that people "borrow" without asking me about. I try to keep people away from all my games now. Its a collection, and those are out of print guides that you really don't see. This is the second best deal I have ever gotten on strategy guides.

As for those guides you listed, the Secret of Mana guide is somewhat obscure, but for some reason is not worth that much compared to other RPG guides. It is worth around $30. Breath of Fire 4 is about $20. They made two versions of FF3, one by Nintendo power that looks official and one not. The more official looking one is worth around $30 while the unofficial version is worth around $45. The breath of fire 2 guide is very rare (I believe it is by prima, i have one), but only worth about $35. Link's awakening guide is around $20.

So you have about $140 or so in guides there so pimp tryanny's estimate was spot on target.[/QUOTE]

cool thanks

bread's done
Back