Rare Last Gen Title Predicitions

movieman2742

CAGiversary!
I'm not too sure if anyone has made a thread for this yet (I do know of the "Is this game rare?" thread.

But I am looking to start hoarding and collecting some of the rare last-gen titles, mostly for Playstation 2. It is near that time in the consoles lifespan that certain games will become rare and hard to find gems in the next few years.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to which titles will become the highest sought after titles in a few years? Like how Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile are for the first Playstation. Anything on the Playstation 2, Gamecube, or Xbox in particular. Feel free to add GBA, DS, or PSP titles too. I personally am only concerned with Playstation 2 titles- more so the RPG's.

Any ideas?

any "rare" PS2 games will just get a reprint, espically RPGs. Unless it is like Marvel vs Capcom 2 where Capcom lost the license.

Video Game Price Charts had an article about potentially rare PS2 games earlier this year. Atlus titles made up the bulk of the list:

http://blog.videogamepricecharts.com/2008/03/make-money-buying-ps2-games.html

Kind of funny to look back on... As of now, none of those games are anywhere close to rare or expensive except for Chaos Wars. It seems increasingly clear that Atlus is doing much healthier initial print runs of their games, and is also willing to reprint them periodically.

Aside from Atlus, I can think of a few JRPG releases that have held their MSRP or increased in value: Magna Carta, Ar tonelico (the box set, not the budget re-release with no extras), Working Designs' Growlanser releases. The common theme here seems to be box sets with a bunch of extras. But, none of those games were reviewed particularly well or were big hits, even within their niche, so I don't think they're going to increase in value all that much in the future.

Really, I don't think there are any sure-fire rare gems for PS2. The popular, highly sought-after games all seem to get reprinted eventually, and the ones that have stayed rare aren't popular enough to really explode in value.

Anyway, if you still want to cast a wide net on the off-chance that a game might go way up in value, here are some ideas:

Ar tonelico series
Atelier Iris series
Dark Cloud 2
.hack series
Eternal Poison
Grandia series
Growlanser series
Luminous Arc series (DS)
Magna Carta
Rogue Galaxy
Shin Megami Tensei series (especially the Digital Devil Saga games)
Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant
Skies of Arcadia Legends (GameCube)
Stella Deus
Tales series (PS2/GameCube/Wii)
Xenosaga Episode III

Any of those are 'okay' bets in that I think it's unlikely that a sealed copy will actually go down in value, so at worst you break even. As for going up in value enough to make it worth your while... good luck. :)

I think things with extra content before reprints like the persona 3 and 4 with the art books could get rare.

Atlus/NIS is pretty much completely off the table in these reprint happy times.

You need to look for things for which the rights to reprint are hard/impossible to get: MvC2, Tactics Ogre, Shadow Hearts.

Nintendo published stuff has the potential to get rare as long as they themselves dont reprint it (Tetris DS). Nintendo doesnt let anyone touch their shit.

I am not sure why there would be any problems with Tactics Ogre and Shadow Hearts. Atlus lost the right to Disagea series after the first game but they still reprinted Disagea 1.

If you're just now starting to look for PS2 games that will increase in value, I think you're too late. Most of the rare games have already had their price increase, and it's difficult to guess which ones will continue to rise. If I were you, I'd focus my attention on two main categories of games:

1. GAMES WITH CONSTANT PRICE - These are usually RPGs, fighers, and adventure games since the focus is solid gameplay or a solid story rather than incredible graphics. They don't depreciate because there's a timeless aspect to them (i.e. they don't get "old"), but they don't increase in value because they're not exactly "rare." The reason to get these games is because if you could spend $20 to get a game now or $20 to get it a year from now, you should get the game now so that you can have that extra year to play it and keep it in your collection.

2. UNIQUE/UNCOMMON BARGAIN TITLES - These are the games like Mister Mosquito, Shadow of Destiny, Disaster Report, etc. You can usually find these for under $10 each, but they're often somewhat difficult to find. The reason to pick these up now is because they're low-supply/low-demand, and you'll spend less effort trying to locate them now than you would in a year or two.

As you can see, the types of games I recommend that you get aren't going to net you a profit, but they'll yield other benefits. Given that most games will depreciate over time, these games are probably your best investment opportunities (assuming you actually want to play them or own them simply for collection's sake).

Off the top of my head, Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle was originally Quest, which was absorbed into....Enix was it?

If the rights were easily obtainable, GQD wouldve reprinted them back in the days when they did Rhapsody/Saiyuki/Persona 2. Count on it.

Shadow Hearts is the now defunct Aruze group, who owned the developers (Nautilus). Some of them went on to Feelplus, which is owned by Microsoft Game Studios. To be fair, their characters are in Chaos Wars (2006 JP, 2008 US), but maybe the original deal was inked when the company still existed.

Some people have been saying that Yakuza 2 ($30 msrp) has a good chance of becoming rare. It's a rather niche series that didn't get the attention that it should have.

When Yakuza 3 eventually comes to the U.S. (with better marketing, hopefully) many people might start looking for Yakuza 2. With that being said... it's very difficult to make a profit off investing in games because you might lose more money than you gain.

edit: It's an old post, but it led to some interesting discussion.... http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176888

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, Yakuza 2 won't become rare. It had a higher print run than Spikeout Battle Street, and you can still find that one for less than $30.

[quote name='video_gamer324']If you're just now starting to look for PS2 games that will increase in value, I think you're too late. Most of the rare games have already had their price increase, and it's difficult to guess which ones will continue to rise. If I were you, I'd focus my attention on two main categories of games:

1. GAMES WITH CONSTANT PRICE - These are usually RPGs, fighers, and adventure games since the focus is solid gameplay or a solid story rather than incredible graphics. They don't depreciate because there's a timeless aspect to them (i.e. they don't get "old"), but they don't increase in value because they're not exactly "rare." The reason to get these games is because if you could spend $20 to get a game now or $20 to get it a year from now, you should get the game now so that you can have that extra year to play it and keep it in your collection.

2. UNIQUE/UNCOMMON BARGAIN TITLES - These are the games like Mister Mosquito, Shadow of Destiny, Disaster Report, etc. You can usually find these for under $10 each, but they're often somewhat difficult to find. The reason to pick these up now is because they're low-supply/low-demand, and you'll spend less effort trying to locate them now than you would in a year or two.

As you can see, the types of games I recommend that you get aren't going to net you a profit, but they'll yield other benefits. Given that most games will depreciate over time, these games are probably your best investment opportunities (assuming you actually want to play them or own them simply for collection's sake).[/QUOTE]

You would expect Incredible Crisis or Nobody can stop Mr. Domino to be hard to find, but they are fairly common.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Off the top of my head, Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle was originally Quest, which was absorbed into....Enix was it?

If the rights were easily obtainable, GQD wouldve reprinted them back in the days when they did Rhapsody/Saiyuki/Persona 2. Count on it.

Shadow Hearts is the now defunct Aruze group, who owned the developers (Nautilus). Some of them went on to Feelplus, which is owned by Microsoft Game Studios. To be fair, their characters are in Chaos Wars (2006 JP, 2008 US), but maybe the original deal was inked when the company still existed.[/QUOTE]

Atlus owns the right to Ogre series since the PS1 days in the US. The reason it didnt get a reprint is probably the same reason they didnt reprint Brigandine. The first 2 Shadow Hearts still belongs to Midway in the US, doesnt matter that the Japanese publisher went out of business. The difference with MvC2 is due to licensing issues, which those games dont have.

[quote name='62t']The first 2 Shadow Hearts still belongs to Midway in the US, doesnt matter that the Japanese publisher went out of business.[/quote]The Shadow Hearts series would be an awesome candidate for one of those bargain priced 3-game box sets that are coming out of the woodwork these days.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The Shadow Hearts series would be an awesome candidate for one of those bargain priced 3-game box sets that are coming out of the woodwork these days.[/QUOTE]

Problem is that SH1 and 2 were published by midway and 3 is from XSeed.

robot alchemaic drive ( R.A.D) that game is a hard game to find and on top of that its a pretty fun game. i lucked out and bought a used copy from the ebgames website complete with box and instructions. havent seen it listed since then. also shinobi is pretty rare to find and nightshade ( the female version of shinobi games) is even a rarer find in many stores.

i think that website was wrong about the samurai showdown compilation and the kof compilations being worth money down the line. for one theyve made alot of compilations of those games on alot of diff systems and you can get those games easily enough. now if there was a compilation of some of the lesser known neo geo games like or if the samurai showdown compilation had the 3d samurai showdown game then maybe.

[quote name='62t']You would expect Incredible Crisis or Nobody can stop Mr. Domino to be hard to find, but they are fairly common.[/quote]

I love Mr. Domino. What a great game.

Hmm robot alchemaic drive, might have to throw that one on Goozex

What about the Guy Game or Jurrasic Park for ps2/xbox both can fetch a nice price.

I would say down the road a sealed black label Final Fantasy XII and KH2 would worth more money than most "niche" games with low print.

[quote name='62t']You would expect Incredible Crisis or Nobody can stop Mr. Domino to be hard to find, but they are fairly common.

Atlus owns the right to Ogre series since the PS1 days in the US. The reason it didnt get a reprint is probably the same reason they didnt reprint Brigandine. The first 2 Shadow Hearts still belongs to Midway in the US, doesnt matter that the Japanese publisher went out of business. The difference with MvC2 is due to licensing issues, which those games dont have.[/QUOTE]

Square bought the rights to Tactics in 2002.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Square bought the rights to Tactics in 2002.[/QUOTE]

And Atlus would still own the rights to existing games. Just like Sony still owns the right to FFVII and FF Tactics for PSOne.

bread's done
Back