Rare & Older Video Game Shop In Vancouver Area?

mattpoto

CAG Veteran
I currently only know of Gamedeals in New West and GameOn in Surrey. Does anybody know of any other cool little video game stores that sell used or hard to find video games?

Vancouver really sucks for good game stores. I can add 2 more to your list, but the last time I was at either of them everything was overpriced.

AtoZ Games on Broadway, a block east of Fraser.

There's also a music/movie/game store on Granville, between Helmcken and Davie.

Good Luck.

There is one around East Broadway

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]748 East Broadway[/FONT]

It's call A-Z Games. They sell used and old and rare games.

[quote name='GuardianFlash']There is one around East Broadway

It's call A-Z Games. They sell used and old and rare games.[/quote]

hmmm...hows their prices?

[quote name='gamer602']hmmm...hows their prices?[/quote]

Horrible.

If you can't find what you need at my place or at the flea markets, I might be able to hook you up with specific games through some other dealers, but their prices aren't good.

Don't even bother with A-Z or "The asshole on Granville" unless you like getting ripped off.

[quote name='ragnar14']http://www.tuget.com

It's cool and little, but don't expect to buy anything. Everything there is quite a bit more expensive than eBay...[/quote]

[quote name='Untamed']AtoZ Games on Broadway, a block east of Fraser.[/quote]

[quote name='GuardianFlash']There is one around East Broadway

It's call A-Z Games. They sell used and old and rare games.[/quote]

I beat you guys by a couple days there :bouncy:

Are there any import game shops in the Vancouver area? I've got Pink Godzilla at home in Seattle, but it's always surprised me on my trips North that there aren't any in Vancouver with the large Asian population.

[quote name='thebigboss']the east side is full of us asians =D[/quote]

Ok, where are the actual import game stores? All I've ever seen in B.C. are model/toy shops that sell bootleg CDs/DVDs and pirated PS2 games.

Apparently Pink Godzilla has spoiled me.

I can't believe you guys don't have any Japanese gaming stores in the greater Vancouver area. :cry:

The BookOff downtown now has a small used games section. They had a small selection of Japanese PSP, PS2, PS3, DS and Wii games. Last time I was here in June, they didn't have the game section.

Everything in the store is 20% off for Boxing Week, too.

[quote name='gmac']You can always try your local pawn shops?[/quote]

The pawn shop scene in Vancouver is dead, local by-laws are making it impossible for them to run. 10 years ago it wasn't bad, I built up a decent collection of Famicom and Super Famicom games (I got Hitler no Fukkatsu for only $2 too :D). There were easily like 20 shops around carrying games. Nowadays there's maybe only like 3-4 that carry games at all, and their selection is pathetic...

[quote name='ragnar14']The pawn shop scene in Vancouver is dead, local by-laws are making it impossible for them to run. 10 years ago it wasn't bad, I built up a decent collection of Famicom and Super Famicom games (I got Hitler no Fukkatsu for only $2 too :D). There were easily like 20 shops around carrying games. Nowadays there's maybe only like 3-4 that carry games at all, and their selection is pathetic...[/quote]

I was a pawnbroker in Edmonton, where there are tons. I heard about the tougher laws in Vancouver, because they were the reason we didn't have a store here.

I just looked through the by-laws at

http://vancouver.ca/bylaw_wa/Search...rd=pawn&searchBy=keyword&rdoActive=activeBoth

and there's nothing that immediately catches my eye as being tougher than what I had to do in Edmonton. Only the hours of operation being 6am-6pm here and a 5 day longer hold period for purchased items.

Is there something I'm missing that makes it extremely difficult? It's dissapointing that there are fewer, and crappier pawnshops here than there was even 3 years ago.

=/

Well I'm not particularly knowledgeable about details of the subject, but the point is that City Hall doesn't want them. And as a result there are drastically less of them nowadays...

[quote name='ragnar14']Well I'm not particularly knowledgeable about details of the subject, but the point is that City Hall doesn't want them. And as a result there are drastically less of them nowadays...[/quote]

Dang, well I'm in need of some more games for my Famicom.

Anyways, anyone ever think of doing a Vancouver video game meet/greet/play/trade event?

[quote name='Untamed']
Anyways, anyone ever think of doing a Vancouver video game meet/greet/play/trade event?[/quote]

Actually, I've been thinking about doing one of these for a while, but things get busy and priorities take over. If anyone want's to help I'd be glad to organize such an event, and I could get some collectors/dealers that wouldn't normally be on forums like this involved (as I do talk to & do business with almost all of them).

[quote name='Untamed']Dang, well I'm in need of some more games for my Famicom.[/quote]

If you ever find yourself down South in Seattle, check out Pink Godzilla. They have a large Famicom selection.

Game On at 7213 120th Street N. Delta is another place worth checking out. Also Gamestop (East Indian owned) at Surrey Central has few retro games, but mostly pricey.

[quote name='scourdx']Game On at 7213 120th Street N. Delta is another place worth checking out. Also Gamestop (East Indian owned) at Surrey Central has few retro games, but mostly pricey.[/QUOTE]

That gamestop at Surrey Central is a pretty good place to find ps2 games, however your right they are crazy overpriced!

other than A-Z game store, are there any other good places to find rare/old games, like GC games for example.

yea best bet I"d say is gamedeals. They're prices are good and when they have sales they can be great even. I usually take the skytrain there since the store is right next to the columbia st stop.

Any new stores in Vancouver city limits in the last year worth checking out? I'll be going up with my wife the weekend of July 9th for our wedding anniversary for dinner at Bin 941 and shopping. The only store I'm definitely hitting up for gaming is Book Off.

Hey...don't go to A to Z Video Games, that dude is a f**ker get ready to get ripped off!!!! Oh my god!!! $50 for Mega Man Anniversary Collection PS2? F off! holy crap, found it at EB, (yes very unlikely), for $14.99.
Here is a good place to go, man they have some great PS2 titles: The Magic Stronghold in Burnaby, near Metrotown/Patterson Skytrain, they have a lot of D&D stuff, etc. but also a hell of a lot of PS2, PS3, 360, Wii, Gamecube, NES,Snes, everything! I found a sweet ass wireless Gamecube controller there with rumble that works on the Wii! NO ONE else in Vancouver area sells this, man it is sweet playing Twin Snakes, Windwaker, Twilight Princess on my Wii with rumble and wireless! I don't know why Nintendo doesn't sell these things! Also, Main Street Flea Market on Saturdays and Sundays, you might find a deal! That's all! peace! happy shopping!!!!

A bunch of new stores opened last year, now they're closing. Both Play N Trade's (Richmond/Kits) and Cheeky Monkey (Downtown). Everything good is outside Vancouver.

[quote name='GameDeals.ca']A bunch of new stores opened last year, now they're closing. Both Play N Trade's (Richmond/Kits) and Cheeky Monkey (Downtown). Everything good is outside Vancouver.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I passed by Cheeky Monkey and noticed it was gone: the FB and Twitter pages haven't updated for months. I barely even heard of Play N Trade (no ads/promotions to speak of).

Actually the local Play N Trade owners made some deal threads about it here. I hit the Richmond one and kinda liked it, but I'm rarely ever out in Richmond. Pity to see the new stores fail...

bread's done
Back