Rare Replay - Epic collection of Rareware classics for only $30!

The original Perfect Dark was an N64 game. Perfect Dark Zero was a 360 title.

It sounds like the emulation for the N64 games in this collection render them in high-definition with anti-aliasing, which is welcome.
Perfect Dark had a re-release with updated visuals on the X360, think he's referring to that copy.

Wow, utter B.S. My order with Microsoft Store was cancelled and there's no rhyme or reason for it. The best thing CS could get me was to order the game with expedited shipping and a $20 GC. That's cool and all but I have two days off, no f'n game.  :wall:

Now that all the games are installed, what to play first? Not any of the Battletoads games though. I'm saving them for when I'm mentally prepared to DIE over, & over again.

I've just been doing the snapshot challenges so far and I'm up to 35 achievements unlocked.  That might be more than I've gotten in 2015 combined...

I've just been doing the snapshot challenges so far and I'm up to 35 achievements unlocked. That might be more than I've gotten in 2015 combined...
Snapshots are one of the cool features of the collection. There like little samples of a game. Haven't tried any of them yet.

The first game I played was Perfect Dark. I played Goldeneye years ago, but never played Perfect Dark. It took what made Goldeneye great at the time, & just not only improved upon it, but added new things as well. Despite never playing it before, there are certain things that are familiar from Goldeneye.

So go buy the game and return the micr soft copy when it comes in
I would if there are stores around where I live. That's the whole reason for doing the online pre-order.

Yeah Perfect Dark it's great, didn't play it originally as well but got in on it when it hit XBLA. PDZ was a bad launch title but I still love PD so I liked the game probably more than I should have haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm debating getting this because it's a great deal and I want to support Microsoft on things like this.  But, I doubt I'll play any of it any time soon. 

Hah. Lunar Jetman is probably one of the worst games I've ever played. Even Jetpac is better.

Solar Jetman seems like it should be cool but I cannot get the hang of flying the egg yet. I'm probably trying to get through it too fast or something.

But regardless, the presentation of this collection is outstanding and I'm still pretty overwhelmed that each game in this collection essentially costs a dollar. I just bought a 2TB external drive for the XBone, and this is the game that convinced me it was time. Even if I uninstall some of the 360 games I won't get around to for a while, between this and GWG I was constantly deleting stuff that wasn't being played regularly.

Took way too long for the titles to install last night (mighta been because I was Destiny'g at the same time).

But eventually got in and did a few snapshot missions.

So far loving everything I'm seeing.  Intro, presentation, snapshots, vidocs.  Don't have it unlocked, but saw they were working on Kameo 2.  Shame we never got it.

Anyway, I thought we were just getting the games, with some extra functions... didn't know about all the rest of the stuff.  Can't wait to get into it again.  Also gotta remember to look for a subtitle option, just so that I know the words to the intro song. :lol:

As for the NES games, I kept trying to use the stick but sucked.  Would then switch to the d-pad and made all the difference.

Also gotta remember to look for a subtitle option, just so that I know the words to the intro song. :lol:
When you reach the main screen, & after you press "A," in the main menu, press the menu button to access the global options. There an option to turn on subtitles for the features. I don't know that if it extends to the intro. When Rare showed the intro on a Twitch stream, it had subtitles, with a bouncing ball, but I don't know if that was just for the stream.

I didn't bite on this but keep wanting to play Battletoads. I love all the other games but since I already have the Banjo, Viva and Perfect Dark titles digitally and already backwards compatible Battletoads ends up being the only one I would likely play a bunch. I feel like all the others I would pick up and play for nostalgia purposes a bit here and there but Battletoads would be the only thing I would keep coming back to play regularly and with friends.

Just with all the other games coming out this year it is hard for me to justify $30 to play Battletoads : P ... and yet somehow I am still extremely tempted hahah

I didn't bite on this but keep wanting to play Battletoads. I love all the other games but since I already have the Banjo, Viva and Perfect Dark titles digitally and already backwards compatible Battletoads ends up being the only one I would likely play a bunch. I feel like all the others I would pick up and play for nostalgia purposes a bit here and there but Battletoads would be the only thing I would keep coming back to play regularly and with friends.

Just with all the other games coming out this year it is hard for me to justify $30 to play Battletoads : P ... and yet somehow I am still extremely tempted hahah
Ah, but you could've had it for 20net (15 for rewards members) if you had preorder thru the MS store site ;)

Anyone having issues with the sound in Battletoads NES?  The title screen and opening sequence seem fine, but there is virtually no sound when gameplay starts, with the impacts barely audible and no background music...  I guess I should uninstall and reinstall?

It's the only game in the entire collection that's like this, and having grown up playing Battletoads, I know this ins't normal.

Anyone having issues with the sound in Battletoads NES? The title screen and opening sequence seem fine, but there is virtually no sound when gameplay starts, with the impacts barely audible and no background music... I guess I should uninstall and reinstall?

It's the only game in the entire collection that's like this, and having grown up playing Battletoads, I know this ins't normal.
I haven't noticed any issues with the sound while playing Battletoads and I've gotten quite far into the game too.

Started playing some Snake Rattle 'N' Roll and I forgot how much fun I used to have playing that game as a kid, it's just so weird! You attack feet with your tongue in this game! I agree with others though that the NES games are bit difficult to control with the XBone controller though.

Had to do the update last night and didn't notice anything different.

Still got a crash while doing a snapshot.

Oh and Lunar whatever does suck :lol: . 1st snapshot was fine but got stuck on the 2nd one...

fill the holes my ass.

Got a patch this morning, was really hoping it would fix the crashing issues.

Nope.

Had to do the update last night and didn't notice anything different.

Still got a crash while doing a snapshot.

Oh and Lunar whatever does suck :lol: . 1st snapshot was fine but got stuck on the 2nd one...

fill the holes my ass.
The update was just to bring modern controls to Jet Force Gemini, afaik. I haven't had any issues with it so far, but to be fair, I only been playing 1 game, Perfect Dark. No snapshots yet.

Yeah, just saw that about the JFG controls. I wasn't really expecting a crash patch this early, I don't think that's ever happened in the modern era of games shipping broken (ie a patch within 48 hours).

I haven't even got to JFG yet anyway. I tortured myself to get at least a few snapshots on every game so far...playing them in order. Now that I'm past the Spectrum era and into the NES era things are getting much more tolerable. Funny how the first game (Jetpac) is probably the best of the early stuff. Almost thought Knight Lore may be cool but there is WAY too much slowdown. Whether that is accurate to the original game or not, I don't care. It's essentially unplayable in some areas. Gunfright seems like it also could have been ok with the bounty system it has, but the area you can see is so small it kind of wrecks it when you keep running into stuff that's insta-kill.

Yeah, I'll get to JFG at some point. Been enjoying Perfect Dark. Playing it, it really bums me out that MS had a remake of Goldeneye completed, only to scrap it because Nintendo changed their minds about allowing them to release it. Very likely because they wanted to release their own remake.

The thing that I love about games like Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I killed a guard, then seconds later, a guard walks in, & then he walks out. I laughed, because you don't really see this anymore, because they're making more realistic. It was fun to see that again, after so many years.

Haven't spent a lot of time on this yet, only doing some snapshots and screwing around with some of the NES era games.

I'm surprised though that the game I've spent the most time with (and have all the achievements for now) is Slalom. Never played it in the past and got sucked up into that one somehow.

One spectrum game though I didn't care for (from the snapshot I played) was Atic Atac. Randomly going from room to room trying to discover all of them before escaping was a bit BS. Did a snapshot of Gunfright (not sure what to think of that) and Jetpac. Weren't bad for what they were.

Picked up the game yesterday.  Such an awesome did.  Did the video game trade in at MS store and ended up paying completely in gift cards and received another $10 gift card.

Is it possible to queue up all of the patch downloads for each game?  It's only asked me to patch a game each time I try to boot it up for the first time, which is quite inconvenient.

bread's done
Back