Rare, Valuable Games!

helava

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Some games become extremely rare, and valuable! You should buy two of every game you think will become rare and valuable, or snap up any game you can get for cheap, because it may also become rare, and valuable!

Why is the above statement extraordinarily stupid?

1.) Any game that you can buy on store shelves has probably a minimum print run on the order of 10,000 copies, at an absolute minimum. Most games will be greater than 50K. Buying a Greatest Hits game in the original packaging will get you 1 of ~400K copies in distribution. Part of something being "valuable" is supply. The "Collector's Edition" of Halo 2? More than 1 MILLION in distribution. Not going to ever be valuable. Period.

2.) The other half, of course, is demand. There is a reason that something like Ashen, for the N-Gage, is $2. Demand is low. It's not a stellar game, and not a lot of people have an N-Gage. It's not going to go up in value, even from $2, because there is no demand for it.

Games simply aren't useful as collector's items, by and large. There are too many copies of the various games out there, and demand dies down when the console's lifespan is over. With very, very few exceptions, most games become worthless to the general public the moment the manufacturer stops putting the console on store shelves.

Exceptions, of course, are out there. There are collectors for very old hardware, and some games have as much as tripled their price, due to relative scarcity, and a continuing demand. But that's such a rare proposition, and is limited to probably less than a hundredth of a percent of every game ever made, that no modern game will ever become "Rare" of "Valuable."

seppo

[quote name='helava']Some games become extremely rare, and valuable! You should buy two of every game you think will become rare and valuable, or snap up any game you can get for cheap, because it may also become rare, and valuable!

1.) Any game that you can buy on store shelves has probably a minimum print run on the order of 10,000 copies, at an absolute minimum. Most games will be greater than 50K. Buying a Greatest Hits game in the original packaging will get you 1 of ~400K copies in distribution. Part of something being "valuable" is supply. The "Collector's Edition" of Halo 2? More than 1 MILLION in distribution. Not going to ever be valuable. Period.

2.) The other half, of course, is demand. There is a reason that something like Ashen, for the N-Gage, is $2. Demand is low. It's not a stellar game, and not a lot of people have an N-Gage. It's not going to go up in value, even from $2, because there is no demand for it.

Games simply aren't useful as collector's items, by and large. There are too many copies of the various games out there, and demand dies down when the console's lifespan is over. With very, very few exceptions, most games become worthless to the general public the moment the manufacturer stops putting the console on store shelves.

Exceptions, of course, are out there. There are collectors for very old hardware, and some games have as much as tripled their price, due to relative scarcity, and a continuing demand. But that's such a rare proposition, and is limited to probably less than a hundredth of a percent of every game ever made, that no modern game will ever become "Rare" of "Valuable."

seppo[/quote]

Does anyone know if this information will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='javeryh']

Does anyone know if this information will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

well i didnt feel there was enough information within the post... and since that signals a low supply... the answer in the long run would be, YES.

better cut and paste this into a word file for safe keeping.... i could be rich one day.

[quote name='helava']Some games become extremely rare, and valuable! You should buy two of every game you think will become rare and valuable, or snap up any game you can get for cheap, because it may also become rare, and valuable!

seppo[/quote]

I agree for the most part, but you must remember that 500 years from now, a copy of Halo 2 collector's edition might be hard to come by. You should rarely say ever (notice how I didn't say never).

I think there are 2 ways of looking at this. One is the way that some get rich quick people want to turn nothing into something to get on top. I think thats really stupid but the other to see it is like this. If your a CAG, then you dont want to spend full price for a game but you also dont want to wait until its 10 bucks and then find out the game is going for like 70 on ebay*cough* Resident Evil 2, 3 on cube *cough* So i think its ok to wonder if a game will be rare one day but only if you want it to play further down the line not to hope and sell it for 3 times the amount you paid

[quote name='helava']

1.) Any game that you can buy on store shelves has probably a minimum print run on the order of 10,000 copies, at an absolute minimum. Most games will be greater than 50K. .....[/quote]

Right.

That's why Panzer Dragoon Saga was available at my Toys R Us for ONE DAY due to its print run of Approx. 5,000 copies in the US.

I guess I'm trying to prove the point that there truly ARE rare games, but if they don't interest you, don't buy them. Its up to you.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

Print runs do account for an increase in value, later on.

Sometimes a game is released for a limited time, which yields a more sentimental value, to the potential buyers.

You can blubber all day, about how games SHOULDN'T be worth more, because of your statistical analysis,...... but in the end, you are wrong.

A collector doesn't care about quantities, scarcity, or the likes.
They care about having a MINT copy, USUALLY sealed, of a certain title.

Do you believe that Chrono Trigger on the SNES is scarce???
It's not.
A sealed copy, though, is very hard to find.
A collector will pay top dollar for it.

Just like the Final Fantasy series.
The older games are pure perfection,... and to have a sealed copy is like having a cherry GTO, or an original negative of a classic movie.

People have the means now, to browse and purchase ANYTHING in the world.
That is why fairly new items go for higher prices.

Imagine being in 1980, and trying to get a Super Famicom, without travelling to Japan, or knowing someone there.

Today, eBay, and the internet makes this stuff child's play.

Take for instance,.... I couldn't find a copy of Cubivore for a long time.
The game was retailing for $20,... if it could be found.
Then, while across the country,... I found a copy in-store, and payed $40 for it.
They were selling on eBay for $80 at the time, so it was a triumph for me.

The thing is, .. if I didn't find it,... I would've ended up paying the cash for it, since it was something I needed for my collection.
I also wanted to play it,... so the demand was there, and price is usually not a factor when something is sought after.

You keep whining about how it SHOULD be,... and then get a reality check.
:)

So you made a crazy statement and then refuted it yourself? Weird.

I think most people realize they are better off putting their money in stocks vs. buying video games as an investment.

Although it does seem like quite a few NES games (sealed) fetch a nice sum on eBay... :)

stop buying games to collect and buy them to play and you wont have this problem

personally I have always defined the word "collecting" as "someone else collecting your money"

in most cases this definition is true

buy games you like and are going to play..it's that simple

I've heard that ESPN 2k5 is going to be rare because of the licensing issues. Where did I hear that again....? Oh right, it was a bunch of noobs on here...

and here i thought this wud be a topic about which games are rare/valueable...

do think my hopes getting dashed wil become rare/valueable? :p

thisthreadsucks.gif

[quote name='defender']stop buying games to collect and buy them to play and you wont have this problem

personally I have always defined the word "collecting" as "someone else collecting your money"

buy games you like and are going to play..it's that simple[/quote]

:applause:

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='defender']stop buying games to collect and buy them to play and you wont have this problem

buy games you like and are going to play..it's that simple[/quote]

:applause:[/quote]

:applause: wisdom shared.....

and the subject line is sooooo misleading :whistle2:s

[quote name='defender']stop buying games to collect and buy them to play and you wont have this problem

buy games you like and are going to play..it's that simple[/quote] :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Nuff' said. All this 'Better buy it before it's rare' shit is stupid.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX']
thisthreadsucks.gif
[/quote]

Do you guys think thread sucking will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Sorry. I have just been antsy waiting to use that .gif.

[quote name='LeviathynX'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX']
thisthreadsucks.gif
[/quote]

Sorry. I have just been antsy waiting to use that .gif.[/quote]

Do you guys think waiting will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX']
thisthreadsucks.gif
[/quote]

Do you guys think waiting will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Do you guys think that rare/valuable will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='LeviathynX'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX']
thisthreadsucks.gif
[/quote]

Do you guys think waiting will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Do you guys think that rare/valuable will become rare/valuable?[/quote]

Do you guys think thinking that rare/valuable games will become rare/valuable will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef'][quote name='RaekwonThaChef']where's whipsmartbanky[/quote]

It's almost like this thread was made for you banky.[/quote]

Do you think threads made for banky will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='Tromack']I agree for the most part, but you must remember that 500 years from now, a copy of Halo 2 collector's edition might be hard to come by. You should rarely say ever (notice how I didn't say never).[/quote]

In 100 years, your Halo 2 disk won't be good anymore (optical media currently is said to be permanent data storage good for 100 years, but nobody knows if it'll go longer) so we can assume any copies of Halo 2 will be used as coasters in 500 years.

[quote name='LeviathynX']Can I borrow it as long as I put laser shooting nipples on the WSB fembot?[/quote]

Do you guys think laser shooting nipples will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
Do you guys think laser shooting nipples will become rare/valuable?[/quote]
I'm not sure exactly when, but that stopped being funny after the second time someone said it.

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
I'm not sure exactly when, but that stopped being funny after the second time someone said it.[/quote]

Do you guys think things that stopped being funny will become rare/valuable?

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
I'm not sure exactly when, but that stopped being funny after the second time someone said it.[/quote]

I thought only WSB said it. Either way you are correct.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel the urge to buy any game I might possibly want to play, fearing that it will go out of print or become rare. I've missed out on games like Valkyrie Profile and Thousand Arms because of their becoming "rare".

[quote name='drone8888']

Imagine being in 1980, and trying to get a Super Famicom, without travelling to Japan, or knowing someone there.

[/quote]

Haha, you'd need a time machine too!

1980? The original Famicom wasn't even out then! Lol.

Sorry, I had to :lol:

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='LeviathynX']Can I borrow it as long as I put laser shooting nipples on the WSB fembot?[/quote]

Just in case they become rare/valuable, I stocked up...

[quote name='Gameboy415'][quote name='helava']

1.) Any game that you can buy on store shelves has probably a minimum print run on the order of 10,000 copies, at an absolute minimum. Most games will be greater than 50K. .....[/quote]

Right.

That's why Panzer Dragoon Saga was available at my Toys R Us for ONE DAY due to its print run of Approx. 5,000 copies in the US.

I guess I'm trying to prove the point that there truly ARE rare games, but if they don't interest you, don't buy them. Its up to you.[/quote]

Actually, Panzer Dragoon Saga had a print run of ~27K copies.

seppo

I guess the issue was simply that nothing is "Rare or Valuable" unless you're talking about that Nintendo competition cart, of which there's only like, fifty in circulation at most, and actually has some sort of collector's appeal.

If you're talking about PDS as a "rare/valuable" game, you're talking about a game that can be found on eBay for ~100 - or roughly double the original price. That's one of the *most* valuable games in recent history - I'm just saying if you're going to buy a game on the hopes that one day, it might be valuable, it's an extremely poor use of your money.

Buy it 'cause you like it, not 'cause you think you might make $50 a year from now on it. Sheesh.

seppo

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='Tromack']I agree for the most part, but you must remember that 500 years from now, a copy of Halo 2 collector's edition might be hard to come by. You should rarely say ever (notice how I didn't say never).[/quote]

In 100 years, your Halo 2 disk won't be good anymore (optical media currently is said to be permanent data storage good for 100 years, but nobody knows if it'll go longer) so we can assume any copies of Halo 2 will be used as coasters in 500 years.[/quote]

I don't know about you but I have a copy of Halo 2 hermetically sealed in a vacuum.

[quote name='helava'][quote name='Gameboy415'][quote name='helava']

Right.

I guess I'm trying to prove the point that there truly ARE rare games, but if they don't interest you, don't buy them. Its up to you.[/quote]

seppo[/quote]

Yeah I hate that rumor and the game was available for more than just one day. I remember ordering just 3 copies because at the time Saturn games wouldnt sell for shit. I still had new sealed copies up until just last year and I still have some Burning Rangers new and sealed. I am not sure where the 5000 rumor started but I am sure it was with Ebay sellers.

[quote name='defender'][quote name='helava'][quote name='Gameboy415'][quote name='helava']

Right.

seppo[/quote]

Yeah I hate that rumor and the game was available for more than just one day. I remember ordering just 3 copies because at the time Saturn games wouldnt sell for shit. I still had new sealed copies up until just last year and I still have some Burning Rangers new and sealed. I am not sure where the 5000 rumor started but I am sure it was with Ebay sellers.[/quote]

Are you selling? I am afraid to ask, but if so, how much? (Also, do you have any cheaper opened ones?)

Well whatever, I still say the game's rare regardless. Poin in case, I've had a hell of a time trying to find a decent price for the game.

But I finally caved and got a like-new copy off ebay for $130 shipped 2 days ago.

A bit pricey, but ITS CHRISTMAS! :)

I don't understand how Seppu can possibly defend this against any real examples. Suikoden 2 is RARE. It cannot be bought at any major retailer, and when it was avaialable it had a very limited print. Suikoden 2 is valuable. It generally sells for about 60-100 dollars. Much more than the original price.

I think you need to draw a line between RARE and VALUE. They're not mutually exclusive. VHS copies of Steel are not valuable but they probably are rare. There aren't thousand floating around. But it doesn't matter because nobody cares, and no one is going to pay anything for a copy. Similarly I understand what you mean concerning modern games. With the huge print runs of current games, they will never be rare in the same way that a paiting might be. But as time goes on, and they get removed from shelves and public opinion/tends/nostalgia change, prices do change

bread's done
Back