RARE? VALUABLE? Master System - Super Wonder Boy Super Monster Land?

chosen1s

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I just got back from one of my most bittersweet experiences. A game store here in town that often has a lot of high-value games, but Heaven Forbid they sell them for one penny less than the "Ebay value". It's always nice to see some of the cool stuff in there, but for some reason it kinda ticks me off to see it all priced at what I could get the same stuff for on Ebay (or above). That's for a different post. What I found there was for Sega Master System:

Super Wonder Boy
Super Monster Land

It's printed just like that on the cart. Haven't tested it out in my Master System (major pain to set it up), but from the research I've done on the net it seems to be one of a very limited number of games that was released with that name before Sega shortened it to "Wonder Boy in Monster Land".

I got it for next to nothing, and sadly if it's extremely rare and extremely valuable I will probably want to sell it as the money would really be helpful right now. If it's only extremely rare but not extremely valuable, it will take a prized position in my collection. If it is neither, I sit in disappointment and accept that it's nigh-impossible to find a "gem" in that dang store that slipped by their ever-watchful Ebay eye. Anybody know anything about this game?

I found one post that said it was extremely rare, but that post also said that the "Mono Poly" cart is perhaps the rarest Master System cart and I've already found 2 of those on Ebay that failed to get a bid at less than $5 :) ... ... :cry:

I don't think it's any more valuable than the "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" cart. Although I don't know how rare it is, I think that it, along with the Mono Poly cart, are more common than some people think. I got 2 Wonder Boy in Monster Land games off eBay and both of them have the same label as yours. I've had 3 Monopoly carts and 2 of them had the "Mono Poly" label.

Can't say much about the rarity of this iteration of the game, but:

(1) the place you bought it from, if they sell at "eBay price," would have likely known if the title was a good catch, and (tried to) charge you accordingly for it.

(2) if it were a mega-fancy franchise, then there might be some consumer interest. Wonder Boy is more or less forgotten, I'd say, and with forgetfulness comes a drop in demand, thus price.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can't say much about the rarity of this iteration of the game, but:

(1) the place you bought it from, if they sell at "eBay price," would have likely known if the title was a good catch, and (tried to) charge you accordingly for it.

(2) if it were a mega-fancy franchise, then there might be some consumer interest. Wonder Boy is more or less forgotten, I'd say, and with forgetfulness comes a drop in demand, thus price.[/QUOTE]

Good points. However:

(1) The place I bought it from occasionally takes their eyes off the old games. I got Buster Douglas Boxing on Master System at the same chain for $5 (small midwest chain) and have seen it in the $50 range from time to time.

(2) While I agree, a "rarity" will still bring in a lot of value if it is...I guess "rare enough" and recognized as a key part of a collection. I refer you to Stadium Events on Nintendo, which is a piece of trash game, is readily available under a different label (Athletic World, I believe), and is not in any way a franchise or "fancy franchise" :)

Probably my most prized find as well - got a Stadium Events at a garage sale 6 years ago. NTSC version. Sold it to a collector a year or so later to help pay off student loans.

Ha!

Figures. I wonder why it's so difficult to find any information about it? Maybe because it's not a big deal. Oh well, into the collection it goes :)

Anybody know if the box art had the same variation? In other words, did it come in a "Wonder Boy" box, or in a "Super Wonder Boy" box?

Collecting OCD...

[quote name='mykevermin']Can't say much about the rarity of this iteration of the game, but:

(2) if it were a mega-fancy franchise, then there might be some consumer interest. Wonder Boy is more or less forgotten, I'd say, and with forgetfulness comes a drop in demand, thus price.[/quote]

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the value of master system games...

But with regard to point #2, The Dynastic Hero, a port of Wonder Boy in Monster World, for the Turbo Duo CD is one of the most valuable games for the system ($300-400 on ebay if it can be found)... collectors are strange fickle people... in this case, the game is one of the last to come out for the Duo and had a very limited production run... thus, I only have the Japanese version of the game plus USA bin/cue...

bread's done
Back