Rare/valuable Wii games

[quote name='Altanis']There are rare Wii games.

Try finding a copy of WarioWare Smooth Moves, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Paper Mario, or really even Pokemon Battle Revolution from anywhere that's complete and in good shape for a good price.

PLENTY of Wii games are rare. The only people I can really see that would say there aren't any rare games for the console would be collectors hoping to stop people from buying games they want to get and resell, or idiots.

EVERY console has its rare games. It doesn't matter whether a console sells 1 copy or 100 million copies. Plenty of games will be produced in short supply to where they become valuable.[/QUOTE]

I was just at Gamestop the other day and they had several copies of Warioware: Smooth Moves on the shelf for $29.99. In fact, looking at the GS store locator EVERY local store has copies of Super Paper Mario and Pokemon Battle Revolution. Also, I see Metroid Prime Trilogy pop up all the time (expensive and rare are two different things.) These games had good sized print runs and are easy to track down.

Another rare game is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

As for finding the others, that's great for you. No GS I've ever visited has had them complete for under $45 used- and GS's quality is often terrible.

I've not seen a store carry Super Paper Mario in years- if ever.

There's a reason that most Wii games can be found for $25 or so at the very least- yet WarioWare, Super Paper Mario, and Pokemon Battle Revolution are hitting $40+ on Amazon's Warehouse.

[quote name='Altanis']Another rare game is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

As for finding the others, that's great for you. No GS I've ever visited has had them complete for under $45 used- and GS's quality is often terrible.

There's a reason that most Wii games can be found for $25 or so at the very least- yet WarioWare, Super Paper Mario, and Pokemon Battle Revolution are hitting $40+ on Amazon's Warehouse.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop's prices are universal across all of their stores and I doubt you've actually looked at all of their copies to determine if they're in good condition or not. I'm not sure if you live in the backwoods or something but Super Paper Mario is very easy to find used and is only hard to find new due to it being discontinued.

Since when is Amazon Warehouse the deciding factor for game prices? They have F1 2009 on the Wii listed for $403.99 at the moment. I guess you'll think that it's worth over $400 since they have it listed for that price.

[quote name='Rozz']

Since when is Amazon Warehouse the deciding factor for game prices? They have F1 2009 on the Wii listed for $403.99 at the moment. I guess you'll think that it's worth over $400 since they have it listed for that price.[/QUOTE]

It obviously isn't worth that much, but it seems to be pretty damn hard to find. I live in a big city and there literally aren't any.The lowest on Amazon is $79. Ebay isn't much different.

[quote name='schuerm26']It obviously isn't worth that much, but it seems to be pretty damn hard to find. I live in a big city and there literally aren't any.The lowest on Amazon is $79. Ebay isn't much different.[/QUOTE]

The point I was just trying to make is in regards to what the poster above me was saying. Yes, F1 for the Wii is indeed rare but that's a whole other subject. He was basing the values of games like Super Paper Mario on the prices by Warehouse Deals when many other sellers besides them lists those games for much cheaper. F1 is worth around $80-$100 and not over $400 just because one source (Warehouse Deals in this case) lists it as such.

Have to mention Super Mario All-Stars. Limited print, went OOS at most stores a few days after its release. I think prices will come down after Christmas but right now there's a lot of scalping going on.

[quote name='Altanis']Another rare game is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

There's a reason that most Wii games can be found for $25 or so at the very least- yet WarioWare, Super Paper Mario, and Pokemon Battle Revolution are hitting $40+ on Amazon's Warehouse.[/QUOTE]

I had a Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Wii in hand during Blockbuster's Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal (not long before they went out of business). Naturally it had no manual and I couldn't really do anything with it (The BOGO was for all games under $20, and this one was $30) so returned it was.

[quote name='Rozz']The point I was just trying to make is in regards to what the poster above me was saying. Yes, F1 for the Wii is indeed rare but that's a whole other subject. He was basing the values of games like Super Paper Mario on the prices by Warehouse Deals when many other sellers besides them lists those games for much cheaper. F1 is worth around $80-$100 and not over $400 just because one source (Warehouse Deals in this case) lists it as such.[/QUOTE]
If you have followed the prices of said games at Amazon's Warehouse for as long as I have, you will notice a trend: 2-3 months ago, each of them was $10-15 cheaper than they are now. It is the same trend at most stores that sell it. The price of many of the games I've mentioned here have done little more than go up in the past few months.

Also, GameStop's in store price might be universal. Their online prices often are not the same as the store, and as most people will tell you, ordering online is a crapshoot.

Again, a complete copy of those games in good condition is hard to come by. Good condition to me is without a bunch of scratches on the disc, or stickers on the original case. Or in some cases at GameStop, without writing on the disc.

Just because you can find a few copies of a game doesn't mean it isn't rare. I know plenty of places that have copies of games that are supposedly rare (or in my experiences, don't really seem that rare). That however doesn't mean that your experience is the norm, or that a game isn't rare. It really just means that you have experience that says that it's not as hard as it might seem to obtain the game.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I had a Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Wii in hand during Blockbuster's Buy 1 Get 1 Free deal (not long before they went out of business). Naturally it had no manual and I couldn't really do anything with it (The BOGO was for all games under $20, and this one was $30) so returned it was.[/QUOTE]
Blockbuster is still in business from what I can tell ;).

And a copy without a manual is useless if you're trying to get a value for it. Again, I'm talking about a complete copy for a good price. Your $30 copy would likely end up more like $37-40 if you factor in the costs of getting a manual for it. Not a horrible price, but it's still possible to find it for $50 brand new.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Have to mention Super Mario All-Stars. Limited print, went OOS at most stores a few days after its release. I think prices will come down after Christmas but right now there's a lot of scalping going on.[/QUOTE]

The holiday gift rush on SMAS is driving the price up; I can't see this being a "rare" and "valuable" Wii game long-term. Then again, I'm not accounting for the "hoarding Mario" factor :lol:

[quote name='romeogbs19']
Muramasa is not rare and won't be. The HD version is available on XBOX Live and PSN (I believe) which makes the SD Wii version out of date and, well, not rare. It's the hardcore enthusiasts that drive prices up and since they have access to a better version, Muramasa on the Wii is unlikely to hold any value beyond its current MSRP of $15-20.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen a Muramasa HD remake on either PSN or XBLA so far. I thought that was just rumor / speculation.

[quote name='Altanis']If you have followed the prices of said games at Amazon's Warehouse for as long as I have, you will notice a trend: 2-3 months ago, each of them was $10-15 cheaper than they are now. It is the same trend at most stores that sell it. The price of many of the games I've mentioned here have done little more than go up in the past few months.

Also, GameStop's in store price might be universal. Their online prices often are not the same as the store, and as most people will tell you, ordering online is a crapshoot.

Again, a complete copy of those games in good condition is hard to come by. Good condition to me is without a bunch of scratches on the disc, or stickers on the original case. Or in some cases at GameStop, without writing on the disc.

Just because you can find a few copies of a game doesn't mean it isn't rare. I know plenty of places that have copies of games that are supposedly rare (or in my experiences, don't really seem that rare). That however doesn't mean that your experience is the norm, or that a game isn't rare. It really just means that you have experience that says that it's not as hard as it might seem to obtain the game.

Blockbuster is still in business from what I can tell ;).

And a copy without a manual is useless if you're trying to get a value for it. Again, I'm talking about a complete copy for a good price. Your $30 copy would likely end up more like $37-40 if you factor in the costs of getting a manual for it. Not a horrible price, but it's still possible to find it for $50 brand new.[/QUOTE]

You have very interesting ways of determining rarity, pricing, etc. that don't really hold up. I mean, you say Gamestop's copies are always in bad condition, but have you actually checked out all of their copies to make that assumption? I've gotten games from Warehouse Deals that are resurfaced, have stickers on the cover art spine, etc.

You say just because I see the copies everywhere means that it's not rare, but that also works vice versa by saying just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not rare.

I still don't see why you're using Warehouse Deals as the de-facto price guide, especially since they most likely use a computerized pricing system. Checking completed eBay listings is more telling of what people are actually PAYING, not just listing copies on a site for high prices that don't ever sell.

Also, according to Videogamepricecharts.com, which tracks all game prices, titles such as Super Paper Mario haven't been really following a trend in increasing value and has been hovering around the same average prices for months and months now.

Hovering around the same price is uncommon when it comes to games, though. Most take huge drops and then stay low.

I do think Wii could end up with some rare and potentially valuable games because:
(a) it sells mostly to causal gamers who treat games as disposable entertainment, reducing the supply over time.
(b) a significant number of strong titles get overlooked and ignored in the sea of shovelware, while many gamers and/or collectors ignore the Wii because it's not "cool enough".
(c) remakes are possible for some games (think Okami trying again on Wii after failing on PS2) but I suspect only for franchises or brand names that will be expected to sell. Niche titles are more likely to be ignored and abandoned.

However, I'm not sure that your definition of "valuable" matches mine. To become valuable, there has to be significant demand after supply is exhausted. It's hard to say if Wii games - even the good, underappreciated one - will ever have that type of demand to drive up pricing. That's fine with me though.

Three cheers for cheap, easily available games!

Never have I said that I use WHD as my main place for checking prices. I was simply pointing out that many of the games I have said were rare IN MY OPINION (just like it's your OPINION they aren't rare) have done nothing but increase at one retailer that will guarantee that you get a complete copy if you buy it.

I'm not going to argue over something as petty as whether a single retailer is able to speak for the entire game-selling world. I simply pointed out that one retailer I actively check has done nothing in the last 3 months or so but raise the price.

As for GameStop's copies... I'm yet to find a new copy of any of those games that's acceptable (as in, still shrink-wrapped) and I am yet to find a used and complete copy that's acceptable (no stickers all over the case, game not scratched severely, no writing etc) to me. Then again, what's acceptable to me might not be what you find acceptable.

Either way, is there really a point to arguing over whether 3-4 year old games are rare or not? Unless they're still actively being printed, the odds of finding a new copy in any major retailer is very slim at best.

[quote name='bsesb2003']Formula 1 F1 2009 for Wii -- check out the prices on Amazon Warehouse![/QUOTE]

Wasn't that game a Gamestop exclusive in the US?

Any of you guys checked out the crazy prices for Rune Factory Frontier on Amazon, Glyde, and Ebay?

[quote name='ejamer']It's funny to see how much difference crossing the border makes. Canadians don't have nearly the same pricing or selection available that Americans do.

That said, isn't the topic about Wii games that you should buy before they become too rare and expensive to start collecting? So being cheap now is a good thing!

I'd consider adding Atlus games: the Trauma Center/Team series, Baroque, and Dokapon Kingdom. Atlaus stuff seems to have a small but dedicated fanbase, and often disappears after going out of print. The only question is whether there will be enough demand to drive up prices for those games anyway, since they are all niche titles.

Endless Ocean saw a nice jump in value once it was out of print. The release of the sequel affected that, but maybe buying Endless Ocean 2 while it is still available is a good idea.

The only other game that comes to mind is Little King's Story. It's a great game, but sold so poorly that I can't imagine it will be easy to find in a couple years time. Buying now when it's cheap and easy to find is a great idea.[/QUOTE]
All of the Atlus games mentioned, except maybe for Baroque is not rare at all. I remember seeing Trauma Centers pop up everywhere (Reprint) after it was hard to find for a stretch of time.

[quote name='laaj']Any of you guys checked out the crazy prices for Rune Factory Frontier on Amazon, Glyde, and Ebay?[/QUOTE]
I believe this is a temporary hike due to the holidays. Its very, very available used at Gamestop - too much to stay that high for long.

[quote name='fwbweux']For a while there were some copies of Unlimited Cruise Vol. 1 floating around ebay that were located in Australia. They were much cheaper than the average UK copy, around $35 shipped, but they all seem to be gone now. I was an idiot for not buying one.

Anyway, the only Wii game that is truly rare is One Piece: Unlimited Adventure. Others that I'd call uncommon/somewhat rare are Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Star Trek: Conquest, and Ultimate Duck Hunting with this cover art. Regardless of price, anything else is just jacked up on hype or is Nintendo 1st party, which should be self-explanatory ;)[/QUOTE]

Interesting, somebody has Ultimate Duck Hunting with that cover on craigs list for $25, included with Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2009 and the Wii Link Crossbow Training.

[quote name='laaj']Any of you guys checked out the crazy prices for Rune Factory Frontier on Amazon, Glyde, and Ebay?[/QUOTE]
I think that's mostly a matter of it having been on sale at a bunch of places for the holidays.

I picked it up for $13.33 at Amazon during their B2G1 Free sale back in November (along with Guilty Party and Toy Story Mania for my nephew). I wouldn't really expect it to shoot up though unless it's out of print.

[quote name='Altanis']Blockbuster is still in business from what I can tell ;)

And a copy without a manual is useless if you're trying to get a value for it. Again, I'm talking about a complete copy for a good price. Your $30 copy would likely end up more like $37-40 if you factor in the costs of getting a manual for it. Not a horrible price, but it's still possible to find it for $50 brand new.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. I saw commercials for Blockbuster in Pennsylvania but they're gone from Baltimore.

*nod* There is something about completeness when it comes to the "rare" titles out there. I've seen quite a few titles locally for the PS2 like Dark Alliance 2 and Suikoden V--all disc-only or missing manuals. Even a buddy of mine who lucked into ordering a Suikoden V online got buggered on Gamestop's "New" (but is really screwed up) designation. If you ever seen Growlanser: Heritage of War LE boxes that were "New" and beat to hell you'll know what I'm saying.

Anyhow, recently I was able to sell a Clock Tower 3 game on Amazon, noticing that someone was willing to pay $13.50 shipped when Gamestop is supposed to have it for $5.99. This tells me that someone is having a hard time finding a decent copy at their local gamestop, and when that happens enough times across the country you start having a climb in the online price with the perceived rarity there.

[quote name='Altanis']I think that's mostly a matter of it having been on sale at a bunch of places for the holidays.

I picked it up for $13.33 at Amazon during their B2G1 Free sale back in November (along with Guilty Party and Toy Story Mania for my nephew). I wouldn't really expect it to shoot up though unless it's out of print.[/QUOTE]

I think it is OOP and prices will never be that low ever again.

bread's done
Back