Rayman Origins 29.99 (360/PS3/Wii) @ GameStop

Thanks for the heads up. I really wanted to buy this for my niece and this was the price I was hoping and waiting for. Hopefully more people start buying this game as it really is amazing and it would be a real shame to see this game turn out to be a loser for the studio.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']The mainstream consumer is going to see the lack of promotion and the quick price drop as a sign of poor quality and avoid it until its $10. By that time how many copies it sells is irrelevant and any chance of a sequel is gone.[/QUOTE]

10 bucks? I gotta disagree. Sure its done poorly thus far but almost every ratings site out there has given this game high marks so people know this is a quality game, or at least will know when they start getting interested in buying it. The reason this game did so poorly is because of the sheer number of BIG titles that were released along side it. It was a piss poor decision on Ubi's part. They should have released this game during the spring drought. Most people dont have the kind of disposable income that allows them to buy game after game after game, especially during the holiday and especially in this economy. Sales should start picking up now that were seeing the price drop to the 30 dollar mark. I am betting that most people, who have any interest in this game at all, will buy it long before it hits 10 bucks and that most of this games sales will come at the 19.99 to 25 dollar mark.

This game didn't have a big budget so it doesn't need to sell a million copies to become profitable. 250k copies and this game should be in the black, or at least very close to that mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video game of the year here.

Sadly though, video games were a fad that died in the mid-90's, so no one gives a fuck.

If this wasn't on my Christmas list I would be all over this. Now instead of an awesome present on Christmas morning all I'll see is a lost opportunity.

Damn you CAG!

Great price! I've been a fan of Rayman since the Atari Jaguar version.
This looks like a good time to use the $10 credit from the PS3 controller order cancellation last month. I'm tempted to use it with the B2G1F on used games tomorrow: the used copies aren't much lower, but the three-for-two makes it worthwhile, and I'm hoping that a used disc this new will be in great condition. [But I also hate buying discs sight-unseen. Any recent experience with this?] Does the SAVER free shipping code still work? I doubt that the CAG code for 16% off would apply.

[quote name='krashhole']I chose to pick this up from Amazon for $38 simply because Game Stop can fuck themselves.[/QUOTE]

You should've used GS like they use everyone else.

[quote name='Cjrosa6']You should've used GS like they use everyone else.[/QUOTE]

I have a self boycott against Game Stop and swore to never purchase anything from them again. Their deals suck and they fuck you on trade ins. Let's not forget about their crappy ass deals since Black Friday. Have any of you ever tried to contact someone regarding your PUR account? Good fucking luck. I gave them time after time, but no more. I didn't have a problem paying $38 for a new copy from Amazon.

This is my GOTY, edging out Skyrim and Dark Souls by a bit. Anyone commenting that this should be a downloadable game was probably born in the 90s and is in it for the cheevos.

This games mechanics put most platformers to shame. The only other one that has come close this gen is DKCR. I'd say the 2 are about even.

[quote name='Slowdance']This is my GOTY, edging out Skyrim and Dark Souls by a bit. Anyone commenting that this should be a downloadable game was probably born in the 90s and is in it for the cheevos.

This games mechanics put most platformers to shame. The only other one that has come close this gen is DKCR. I'd say the 2 are about even.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Rayman is the best 2D platformer this gen bar none.
Easily a GOTY contender for me.

Nice! Originally got this for $28.xx-ish at TRU the other day with the Google Offers deal, now I'm going to pick up the GameStop offer and swap my TRU purchase for a $28.xx-ish copy of Uncharted 3. This is such a fantastic holiday for deals!

Thanks OP!

[quote name='WTFer']Yeah, Rayman is the best 2D platformer this gen bar none.
Easily a GOTY contender for me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Played some more couch co-op tonight. So, so much fun.

Crap, paid $50 a few weeks ago. Hope the PITA animal that is Best Buy will PM it for me. Will be a nightmare to do but $20 is worth it.

Fact 1: Being a downloadable title would not negate it from being GotY material. Max Payne was definitely goty material and it's only 4-6 hrs long. Braid and Shadow Complex are GotY material, and are downloadable titles. Minecraft is already named GotY by several magazines and it's a budget priced downloadable title.

Fact 2: Rayman Origins WAS GOING TO BE A DOWNLOADABLE TITLE. However, it was going to be episodic, like Sonic 4 Episode 1.

On Cheapassgamer, no one is going to pay $60 without a pre-order bonus that demands it. It may be your favorite game, but you *know* it's going to Ubisoft Ubidrop. You may want to "support" it, but I doubt it reached the critical mass it needed. Your support at this point is likely not going to help anyone but stores clear these out at "higher" prices.

I've heard lots of great things about this game, and recently picked it up for $35 on a Lightning Deal. My brothers and I started playing it last night, and I can't say that I see anything special about it. It's repetitive and has virtually no narrative or pretense of one. It's a fun enough little game, but I don't see where all of the GOTY talk is coming from. Maybe we need to play it longer? We put in about 2 hours.

[quote name='Felder71']Is this price in store? I may go pick it up today.[/QUOTE]

Yes, just picked it up in-store for $30. Apparently, this is some type of short-term promo between Ubi and Gamsetop. The Mgr ratlled off 2 or 3 other Ubi titles also cut to $30 for the time being. Rayman was the only one I was interested in.

Sure, this may be cheaper later, but I'm content buying new at this price roughly 4 weeks after release.

[quote name='Achilles00']It's repetitive and has virtually no narrative or pretense of one.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you don't care much for video games, and prefer interactive movies, such as Batman AC.

If you're the type that plays games primarily to be immersed into some crappy story, then RO isn't for you.

If, however, you prefer games that are designed to challenge you, and that have great replay value, then you'll love RO.

[quote name='SuperMario64']Ya'll better buy it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, everyone should be buying it! Support the developer for creating such a fun experience. The gaming community finally gets an excellent platformer and the only people that take notice are the gaming reviewers!

29.99 is a great price, it probably should have been released at 49.99 instead of 59.99, and on a different week than COD MW and Skyrim. I already bought mine on release, Ill buy another for my nephew. Thanks OP

[quote name='Achilles00']I've heard lots of great things about this game, and recently picked it up for $35 on a Lightning Deal. My brothers and I started playing it last night, and I can't say that I see anything special about it. It's repetitive and has virtually no narrative or pretense of one. It's a fun enough little game, but I don't see where all of the GOTY talk is coming from. Maybe we need to play it longer? We put in about 2 hours.[/QUOTE]

You heard lots of great things because it is a great game, imho. If you do not like platformers, gorgeous graphics, artistic creativity, perfect couch co-op, excellent soundtrack, changing backdrops and power ups, rewards, being challenged, unlocking new skins, and slapping your co-op buddy..then no, this game is not for you. :)

In all seriousness to each his own. Not every game is for everyone.

Some games, mostly platformers are not specifically geared for an in depth story. This game does not spend 20 minutes of interactive clips, it has hours of gameplay instead. The only gripe I truly have is they left out online MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='malethief']Seems like people aren't willing to pay $60 for a 2D platformer. It's about 8-10 hours long[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I still think it would have done much better at $50 on PS3 and 360 and $40 on Wii. Wouldn't have hurt to not have "Ubisoft" written on the front. Might as well just write "wait three months and I'll be $15."

[quote name='hpv']Pretty much. I still think it would have done much better at $50 on PS3 and 360 and $40 on Wii. Wouldn't have hurt to not have "Ubisoft" written on the front. Might as well just write "wait three months and I'll be $15."[/QUOTE]

I lol'ed cause its true.

[quote name='Achilles00']I've heard lots of great things about this game, and recently picked it up for $35 on a Lightning Deal. My brothers and I started playing it last night, and I can't say that I see anything special about it. It's repetitive and has virtually no narrative or pretense of one. It's a fun enough little game, but I don't see where all of the GOTY talk is coming from. Maybe we need to play it longer? We put in about 2 hours.[/QUOTE]

I think you have to understand for some of us that fondly remember the 8-bit and 16-bit era this type of game design. If you go play games of that era narrative was minimal to non-existent in the majority of games. You beat a hard title that took months and get a text screen saying "Good Job, You Saved the Day!"

Compared to watching some games I have watched people play that seem more like interactive films on rails with pre-scripted sequences that, while visually impressive, restrict freedom. It is all a matter of taste. I don't mind modern titles, but glad to see call backs to days of 80s and 90s games.

[quote name='MfMonster']Yes, everyone should be buying it! Support the developer for creating such a fun experience.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Bought this today.

I've never played a Rayman game in my life, wasn't my kind of game. But my wife wanted this game and it's actually a very entertaining local co-op game. Worth the 30 bucks if you're going to play it right away.

Adding to the back log? You might as well wait. And it doesn't make for that great of a single player experience.

picked up it up today at GS and played about an hour with my five year old daughter who laughed the whole time.

30 dollars well spent.

and like some of you posting, i got my start on Atari and became a hardcore gamer around the time of the NES so side scrolling platformers are now in my DNA. What I played of Rayman Origins was awesome. I have a 20+ game backlog and I'm still planning to make time for this.

I pick up this today along with 2 x dead island 360 which I proceed to trade into amazon for 48... technically making Rayman free. The game is gorgeous, it rival sonic generation but it is a bit different. This has as much impact as when I turn on SOTN for the first time..... slick 2d graphic.

I love the people who are comparing this game to outlanders and shadow complex. You all realize the only thing those games have in common with rayman is that they're 2D right?

Those two are metroidvania type games, where as rayman is a true 2d platformer, a rare breed this days, especially one as well designed and good looking as Rayman.

[quote name='azngtlman']And it doesn't make for that great of a single player experience.[/QUOTE]

False. That game is a friggin blast.

What people have neglected to mention, which is oh-so-important in platformers are tight controls. Outside of Mario, most recent platformers always lack in this key area. Rayman's controls are tight.

And yeah, having grown up on this type of game, it's also in my DNA and I'd say this is vying for GOTY for me as well.

As mentioned though, don't waste your money if this is simply going to be tossed on the unplayed pile, it's Ubisoft and will be $15 in no time. I have a stack like everyone else, but it bumped everything else.

bread's done
Back