Raymond’ star Peter Boyle dies at 71

me2evil13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16187735/?GT1=8816

NEW YORK - Peter Boyle, the tall, prematurely bald actor who was the tap-dancing monster in “Young Frankenstein” and the curmudgeonly father in the long-running sitcom “Everybody Loves Raymond,” has died. He was 71.

Boyle died Tuesday evening at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He had been suffering from multiple myeloma and heart disease, said his publicist, Jennifer Plante.

A Christian Brothers monk who turned to acting, Boyle gained notice playing an angry workingman in the Vietnam-era hit “Joe.” But he overcome typecasting when he took on the role of the hulking, lab-created monster in Mel Brooks’ 1974 send-up of horror films.

The movie’s defining moment came when Gene Wilder, as scientist Frederick Frankenstein, introduced his creation to an upscale audience. Boyle, decked out in tails, performed a song-and-dance routine to the Irving Berlin classic “Puttin’ On the Ritz.”

It showed another side of the Emmy-winning actor, one that would be exploited in countless other films and perhaps best in “Everybody Loves Raymond,” in which he played incorrigible paterfamilias Frank Barone for 10 years.

“He’s just obnoxious in a nice way, just for laughs,” he said of the character in a 2001 interview. “It’s a very sweet experience having this happen at a time when you basically go back over your life and see every mistake you ever made.”

When Boyle tried out for the role opposite series star Ray Romano’s Ray Barone, however, he was kept waiting for his audition — and he was not happy.

‘I hired him because I was afraid of him’
“He came in all hot and angry,” recalled the show’s creator, Phil Rosenthal, “and I hired him because I was afraid of him.”

But Rosenthal also noted: “I knew right away that he had a comic presence.”

Boyle first came to the public’s attention more than a quarter century before. “Joe” was a sleeper hit in which he portrayed the title role, an angry, murderous bigot at odds with the era’s emerging hippie youth culture.

Although critically acclaimed, he faced being categorized as someone who played tough, angry types. He broke free of that to some degree as Robert Redford’s campaign manager in “The Candidate,” and shed it entirely in “Young Frankenstein.”

The latter film also led to the actor meeting his wife, Loraine Alterman, who visited the set as a reporter for Rolling Stone magazine. Boyle, still in his monster makeup, quickly asked her for a date.

He went on to appear in dozens of films and to star in “Joe Bash,” an acclaimed but short-lived 1986 “dramedy” in which he played a lonely beat cop. He won an Emmy in 1996 for his guest-starring role in an episode of “The X Files,” and he was nominated for “Everybody Loves Raymond” and for the 1977 TV film “Tail Gunner Joe,” in which he played Sen. Joseph McCarthy.

In the 1976 film “Taxi Driver,” he was the cabbie-philosopher Wizard, who counseled Robert DeNiro’s violent Travis Bickle.

Other notable films included “T.R. Baskin,” “F.I.S.T.,” “Johnny Dangerously,” “Conspiracy: Trial of the Chicago 8” (as activist David Dellinger), “The Dream Team,” “The Santa Claus,” “The Santa Claus 2,” “While You Were Sleeping” (in a charming turn as Sandra Bullock’s future father-in-law) and “Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.”

Spent three years in a monastery
Educated in Roman Catholic schools in Philadelphia, Boyle would spend three years in a monastery before abandoning his studies there. He later described the experience as similar to “living in the Middle Ages.”

He explained his decision to leave in 1991: “I felt the call for awhile; then I felt the normal pull of the world and the flesh.”

He traveled to New York to study with Uta Hagen, supporting himself for five years with various jobs, including postal worker, waiter, maitre d’ and office temp. Finally, he was cast in a road company version of “The Odd Couple.” When the play reached Chicago he quit to study with that city’s famed improvisational troupe Second City.

Upon returning to New York, he began to land roles in TV commercials, off-Broadway plays and finally films.

Through Alterman, a friend of Yoko Ono, the actor became close friends with John Lennon.

“We were both seekers after a truth, looking for a quick way to enlightenment,” Boyle once said of Lennon, who was best man at his wedding.

In 1990, Boyle suffered a stroke and couldn’t talk for six months. In 1999, he had a heart attack on the set of “Everybody Loves Raymond.” He soon regained his health, however, and returned to the series.

Despite his work in “Everybody Loves Raymond” and other Hollywood productions, Boyle made New York City his home. He and his wife had two daughters, Lucy and Amy.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

[quote name='Silencer']:(
Shit, he was the only funny character in Everybody Loves Raymond[/QUOTE]

But what about......damn I guess you're right.

Yeah, I could have sworn I remembered hearing about increasing health problems around several months ago via IMDB and all. Even though I've only caught most of his output, at least he had lived a long and fulfilling life.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']He didn't look that great when he was on Mind of Mencia. RIP, you were a funny bastard.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's true... he did look A LOT older on Mencia than he had been looking on Raymond. Guess that should have been a good indicator.

fuck man that sucks. Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my favorite shows and he was awesome.

Oh, and Debra Barone is so hot.

His scene in "Young Frankenstein" with the blindman (Gene Hackman), when he lit his thumb on fire was classic. I'm laughing now as I think about it.

We'll miss you Mr. Boyle :cry:

Oh man this sucks. He was hilarious on Everybody Loves Raymond. RIP.

And yeah he is the funniest on ELR, even if you think it sucks he was still a hilarious character.

That man was Young Frankenstien. Who Knew? I mean wow just wow after a great carrer in everything. I mean wow I loved that movie but wow that was really him? Just wow?

[quote name='RegalSin2020']That man was Young Frankenstien. Who Knew? I mean wow just wow after a great carrer in everything. I mean wow I loved that movie but wow that was really him? Just wow?[/quote]

:applause: Again you amaze.

The only tragedy here is that Ray Romano isn't dead too.

Yeah, saw it ealier today. No good. He was a damn funny guy. Guess that's just how life goes. As we get older, the icons we know and love will all die right in front of us. Little pieces of our memories are taken. We feel so connected; a popular celebrities death is sometimes as painful as a death in our own families. I guess it never ends, we'll be typing "RIP" until the last moment.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']
The only tragedy here is that Ray Romano isn't dead too.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Who cares about that fat faced no good of a Sitcom star. Nobody loves Rayman. Everybody loved the father and the big brother and his wife but nobody loves this guy. He is like the pussywillow of the family allways making a big deal of everything and backing down. They should throw a bud Married with Children bit and have him smacked by his wife.

The truth is that when the Twin Towers was struck all the channels was scrambled and the only thing that was on besides UPN was Rayman. That is the story behind there success. I have never seen that show on Ch11 before the Twin Towers was struck. It was on Ch2 which pretty much bordem world where this show belongs. Nobody loves Rayman the sitcom show.

I will always remember him as Gonzo from Where The Buffalo Roam
Peterboylebuffaloroam.jpg

In my management class the other day, we were watching a video about group think. It was some lame educational video. It was about the Challenger disaster. Guess who acted as the chief NASA engineer? Peter Boyle was indeed the best in ELR. He will be missed.

I thought he was great.

The person announcing this on the radio was pretty lame though, she said he was one of her favorite actors on Raymond. Wow, she really went out on a limb there.

I wonder if my dad will still get asked for autographs then? For some odd reason people think he looks almost identical to Peter Boyle.

bread's done
Back