Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard 18.99 YMMV

Ultrawolf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I walked into my local Bestbuy and randomly decided to browse the keyboard/peripheral section and saw a price tag for a clearanced out Tarantula keyboard for 18.99 down from 95 bucks or so. Seeing as this is a tremendous value and that I had already had my eye on that keyboard I asked one of the local employees to do a store search for me and found that about half of the best buys in the area were doing the 18.99 price and the rest had them at the normal 95 bucks. I went to one that was about 40 minutes away and snagged one (totally worth it IMO), so take it as YMMV but I would definitely either call ahead OR go in-store and ask them to do a store inventory search so you can check who has it and for what price.

At least half the stores in GA have it slashed down.
Just to reiterate, this was at Best Buy. They don't have it listed on their website so you can't do an online store search :(

ok so how do you find out if it's instock in your area? let me see if I'm doing this right. Find a random item add it to cart then click pick up then says enter zip then you click enter then go back 1 page and there should be a Skuid right? because it's not showing up for me. Can someone else try? my zip is 46241

[quote name='jfuze']Didnt see any in Taylor, MI. Looked around the whole computer section.[/QUOTE]

Dearborn and Allen Park had them but both were no where near 20 bucks. I dont remember exactly but one was around 80 I think and the other 60.

[quote name='zensation']when the Associate checked the computer he said there were supposed to be six (this was Thursday). they were not with the other razer products. he went to the other side of the computer section to find them (near the monitors maybe?) He said he was thinking of jumping on the deal but there should still be some left.[/QUOTE]

I'm also from Durham, I was at the New Hope Commons BB today, they didn't seem to have any tarantulas. Seems like there's three basic places they could be, in the razer products display (directly hidden behind the Apple area), over on the same wall as the monitors but further toward the back of the store where the gaming peripherals are, or the keyboards section; but no tarantulas that i could find.

Also, the BB by Southpoint does have tarantulas but they're listed at $56. If you have any better luck than I did, let me know plz; I'd like to pick one up if i could get it for 20.

[quote name='pulsar0510']The BB near me (Kingston NY) has about 6 priced @ $21.95.[/quote]

Think you could pick me up one at that price?

i just scored one of them keyboards for $20!!

its a lil complicated but i went to my local BB in City of Industry, California and they have the keyboards on clearance for 20 bones but they were all out. so i had them check the closest store that had em and west covina had 2 and fullterton had 7 but they were priced at $70 and not on clearance. so what i had to do was go to west covina and purchase one at $70 then go back to Industry and have them price match it, so the girl was nice and basically returned it and let me re-buy it for $20. it might be alot of effort but i'm happy with my $100 keyboard which i got for only 20 bones.

and i would have picked up an extra one for my fellow cag but i was short on cash and could only afford one at the time, so sorry guys...

so fyi, there are 7 of these keyboards at the bb in Fullerton, CA. get em while they're hot

Just FYI - These things weigh a little over 5 lbs and are oddly shaped 22 x 10 x 2.5. I shipped one half way across the country to someone and it cost $12 for Parcel post or $15 for Priority USPS. My local tax is 8.25% so the sale price after tax is $20.55.

Just letting people know who are requesting them at the sale price that shipping and sales tax are going to raise the real cost to $32 - $36 in many cases.

This doesn't take into account gas/time for going to BB and the PO and getting the oddly shaped thing packaged.

[quote name='Byakurai']Fort Collins, CO has two in stock, but they're also $59.99. Will try again later to see if they go further clearanced.[/quote]

I've yet to check the one in Longmont yet, but once I get there (tomorrow hopefully), I'll let anyone know what the price is there. I'm thinking it's probably going to be the same as in FC due to the same geographic region, but then again with the story about Fullerton/West Covina, anything's a shot.

[quote name='ceckman']Just FYI - These things weigh a little over 5 lbs and are oddly shaped 22 x 10 x 2.5. I shipped one half way across the country to someone and it cost $12 for Parcel post or $15 for Priority USPS. My local tax is 8.25% so the sale price after tax is $20.55.

Just letting people know who are requesting them at the sale price that shipping and sales tax are going to raise the real cost to $32 - $36 in many cases.

This doesn't take into account gas/time for going to BB and the PO and getting the oddly shaped thing packaged.[/quote]

That is nowhere near what it costs for shipping. Hell, I shipped a Rock Band Guitar for $7-8 via USPS.

Checked the BBs in Cortland Manor and Poughkeepsie over the last couple of days...they both have the keyboards in stock but they ring up at $58.99.

Bah!

I saw a little tag on the shelf where these would be, but the price showed 94.xx, so I guess it's not a loss or anything.

But there weren't any there to begin with.

I wonder why? It's probably because Best Buy sucks.

My Best Buy (Fargo, ND) had them for $54.99. There were an assload of them, but they were marked and rang up at $54.99. If they drop to $19, I'll snag it, as I need a PS3 keyboard! :)

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']That is nowhere near what it costs for shipping. Hell, I shipped a Rock Band Guitar for $7-8 via USPS.[/quote]

I shipped from Houston (77006) to Aberdeen WA (98520) Package weighed 5 lbs 4 oz. It won't fit in a flat rate Priority box so ignore that price. Here's the actual cost at the USPS site -

http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?Country=Domestic&M=2&P=5&O=4&OZ=77006&DZ=98520

Hate to tell you, but that is what it cost for shipping...at least in my case.

[quote name='anarchyburger']i just scored one of them keyboards for $20!!

its a lil complicated but i went to my local BB in City of Industry, California and they have the keyboards on clearance for 20 bones but they were all out. so i had them check the closest store that had em and west covina had 2 and fullterton had 7 but they were priced at $70 and not on clearance. so what i had to do was go to west covina and purchase one at $70 then go back to Industry and have them price match it, so the girl was nice and basically returned it and let me re-buy it for $20. it might be alot of effort but i'm happy with my $100 keyboard which i got for only 20 bones.
[/QUOTE]

I wanted to do this but I Didn't know if it would work. So did you just go buy them then go back and they rang up for $20? I bought one at 1 store for $20 then another one had them for $94. So I can just go buy them for $94 then take them to the other store and show them the price I bought the other one for and they will return it then let me buy it? Thanks

[quote name='MrJohnnySpot']I've yet to check the one in Longmont yet, but once I get there (tomorrow hopefully), I'll let anyone know what the price is there. I'm thinking it's probably going to be the same as in FC due to the same geographic region, but then again with the story about Fullerton/West Covina, anything's a shot.[/quote]

Picked up two at $19 from the BestBuy on Tower Road near Stapleton, CO (NE Denver Area), Supposedly they still have one left, but my wife didn't see it when she picked these up. Also Colorado BLVD BestBuy is a no go, and the Aurora BestBuy on Mississippi Ave is a no go. Your best bet is to call ahead to see what they are selling it for just give them the SKU. Call a different department if your worried an employee will take it.

One more thing I noticed or was told that the keyboards should be clearanced on March 2nd 2008 at least according to the Bestbuy on Colorado BLVD.

An update: Visited the Ames, IA BB - they were out, as they had the $18.99 price. Two Des Moines BB's had them in stock: the regular Des Moines store at $95, and the Jordan Creek store at $55. I asked a manager of the Ames store what the chances were of my convincing the DM stores to lower their price - he said slim to none, as each store gets to set their own price...which I also inferred the Ames store would not give me a refund if I purchased at the higher price.

[quote name='ceckman']I shipped from Houston (77006) to Aberdeen WA (98520) Package weighed 5 lbs 4 oz. It won't fit in a flat rate Priority box so ignore that price. Here's the actual cost at the USPS site -

http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?Country=Domestic&M=2&P=5&O=4&OZ=77006&DZ=98520

Hate to tell you, but that is what it cost for shipping...at least in my case.[/quote]

The estimates via that site are always high. That site said my Rock Band guitar was going to be $14. But then if you go in via PayPal and setup your package it drops considerably.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']The estimates via that site are always high. That site said my Rock Band guitar was going to be $14. But then if you go in via PayPal and setup your package it drops considerably.[/quote]

You are wrong. Remember, I already shipped it yesterday. I did so through PayPal. It gave me the exact same price for shipping which I paid.

Why are you arguing with me about this? I was simply pointing out that the price may significantly increase because of shipping if people want someone to buy one of these for them and ship it.

[quote name='ceckman']You are wrong. Remember, I already shipped it yesterday. I did so through PayPal. It gave me the exact same price for shipping which I paid.

Why are you arguing with me about this? I was simply pointing out that the price may significantly increase because of shipping if people want someone to buy one of these for them and ship it.[/quote]

Idk, I guess the last few days I have been in an arguing mood. :lol: Sorry

[quote name='Dragonwarrior587']I wanted to do this but I Didn't know if it would work. So did you just go buy them then go back and they rang up for $20? I bought one at 1 store for $20 then another one had them for $94. So I can just go buy them for $94 then take them to the other store and show them the price I bought the other one for and they will return it then let me buy it? Thanks[/quote]yeah, just tell them at you just bought the keyboard but a friend said that he got it cheaper and they were $20 and ask for a price match. and then if the person is smart they will figure it out and most likely just return it and let you buy it back for $20

also this may help someone, i talked to on of the employees and he said that this keyboard is definitely discontinued and thats why its on clearance and he said you can always buy the keyboard and hope it goes down to $20 because it the model is discontinued. he said there is a another company who is making the exact same keyboard only a different brand name, it started with an L. i think it was Lyca or something like that. of course its YMMV, but he said if it doesnt go down in the next month or so them you can always return it for your money back as long as you have the reciept and didnt open it.

anyone find any in NYC? I'd love to have a new keyboard(the old one's kinda broken up) Otherwise, what's the Sku number so i can call them up?
001.jpg

well, my closest bb has it at $54.99 and they have 1 left. According to the guy I called (he recognizes me for some strange reason), there is "slim to no chances" in finding this, but he will put it on hold if he finds it. Hopefully i luck out when he calls back...

[quote name='knightsdwn']Reporting in from the Mt. Vernon, NY Best Buy. I spotted one of the keyboards with the label for $18.99. The box was a bit beat up so I searched for more and found roughly 6-8 keyboards by the PC aisles. However, the label for these stack of keyboards were priced at $56.99. I grabbed the least scuffed up box and asked for a price check. The guy told me that he highly doubts a Razer keyboard would cost less then 20 bucks but lo and behold, it rang up for $18.99. So if your in the area, there are still 5-7 more keyboards for your cheap ass pleasure.

Quite a bargain for a great keyboard.[/quote]

Thx Knightsdwn,
I just snagged one at Mt. Vernon NY store too. There are about 3 left at this point @ $18.99. Saturday @ 1:00 pm

I work PT at BB and wanted to give a little input on this subject. I did a quick check of stores in my area and prices ranged from ~53 to ~19 bucks. The reason for the variation lies in the number of units each store sells on average. For example, my store sells about one of these keyboards per week so we are clearancing at $53. The store 20 miles south averages about one sold every two weeks so they are clearancing at $18. This seems to be a new policy at BB as I've been there for 5 years and just noticed it on some laptops a couple of weeks ago. Also, general store policy is not to match other store prices. Lame, I know, but if you talk to the right person and ask them to do a price search for other district stores, chances are you could get this to go through.

[quote name='noodlez']Thx Knightsdwn,
I just snagged one at Mt. Vernon NY store too. There are about 3 left at this point @ $18.99. Saturday @ 1:00 pm[/QUOTE]

Any chance of picking some up for fellow CAGs? :whistle2:D

According to the IGN review, the device is NOT recognized as a BIOS compatible USB keyboard. What this means is that (supposedly) you can not use it to select what OS you want to boot in GRUB or LILO if you're a dual booter, or to change BIOS settings, "press FX to do XXXX", etc.

I assume that's why these keyboards are on clearance.

If anyone could share an experience to the contrary, I'll kick myself for not buying one before they sold out at my local BB.

[quote name='walletandgromice']According to the IGN review, the device is NOT recognized as a BIOS compatible USB keyboard. What this means is that (supposedly) you can not use it to select what OS you want to boot in GRUB or LILO if you're a dual booter, or to change BIOS settings, "press FX to do XXXX", etc.

If anyone could share an experience to the contrary, I'll kick myself for not buying one before they sold out at my local BB.[/QUOTE]

Are these keyboards able to upgrade their firmware as the razer mice are? If so, that should fix that problem.

Best Buy in Saugus, CA : $57.99. Epic Fail.

For that much I rather buy a Lachesis and keep my Saitek Eclipse. One thing I don't like about the Tarantula is the lack of lighting under the keyboard. For that much ($99) it should be another source of blue energy.

IF anyone is willing to pick one of these up for me, please pm me.

[quote name='anarchyburger']i just scored one of them keyboards for $20!!

and i would have picked up an extra one for my fellow cag but i was short on cash and could only afford one at the time, so sorry guys...

so fyi, there are 7 of these keyboards at the bb in Fullerton, CA. get em while they're hot[/quote]
Thanks for this. I was actually able to pick one up in Glendora, CA (they had 6 there), and price match it at the City of Industry BB. It was perfect since it was just a little bit of a detour on the way to UCI last night.

[quote name='walletandgromice']According to the IGN review, the device is NOT recognized as a BIOS compatible USB keyboard. What this means is that (supposedly) you can not use it to select what OS you want to boot in GRUB or LILO if you're a dual booter, or to change BIOS settings, "press FX to do XXXX", etc.

If anyone could share an experience to the contrary, I'll kick myself for not buying one before they sold out at my local BB.[/quote]

I'll check that out in a little bit after I install drivers and such. I did read that review but it was posted in 2006 and there is a chance that it was an earlier model of the keyboard because the one I picked up has 2 USB plugs. I assume they probably fixed that problem by having one for the keyboard and the other for the USB ports on the keyboard but we'll see in a bit.

I stopped by Vacaville's BB on the way home last night. They only deduct to $67, but the price tag did say it's on clearance though.

I went to Bestbuy in my local area and they had four of them in stock but they were around $60. I told them I wanted to pricematch a different Bestbuy who had them for $18.99 and they told me no. The manager also told me no, it was not until I threatened to call the District Manager that they agreed to it. End of story is I bought all four and i was very polite and nice until the manager had said no. Threaten them with the BBB or fraud, it doesnt matter, as long as you get this keyboard, it is very sexy. =o)

[quote name='Demise_Angel']I went to Bestbuy in my local area and they had four of them in stock but they were around $60. I told them I wanted to pricematch a different Bestbuy who had them for $18.99 and they told me no. The manager also told me no, it was not until I threatened to call the District Manager that they agreed to it. End of story is I bought all four and i was very polite and nice until the manager had said no. Threaten them with the BBB or fraud, it doesnt matter, as long as you get this keyboard, it is very sexy. =o)[/quote]

How did you prove it was $18.99 at another BB?

Picked up one at Owasso, OK BB for $18.99. Ask the worker for it and he said there was one left and he knew the price already. I had picked up one earlier. :)

Thanks alot of the heads up OP stopped at my local one just for the hell of it and sure enough 18.99. There were 3 left. I bought 2 of them one for me, and one for for someone else. If there are any local CAGs in the area this BB was the Polaris, Ohio location.

[quote name='Rocko']How did you prove it was $18.99 at another BB?[/quote]

All the local prices are listed in their system and they were all from 18.99 to full price. It is an employee only computer.

[quote name='Demise_Angel']All the local prices are listed in their system and they were all from 18.99 to full price. It is an employee only cuomputer.[/quote]

Aha. Thanks. I might look for this tomorrow.

SHAQ F'n FU!!

I went to 3 Best Buys in (SCHAUMBURG, CAROL STREAM & ADDISON) and they cost over $60 at each one!!

GRAAGGHHHRRHR!!

[quote name='Simon D I']SHAQ F'n FU!!

I went to 3 Best Buys in (SCHAUMBURG, CAROL STREAM & ADDISON) and they cost over $60 at each one!!

GRAAGGHHHRRHR!![/quote]

Refer to my earlier post

Well, I had the guys scan the box at their counters, and they still rang up at $60+ :(

EDIT: Oh, I see your post up there...I don't know, man, it was so packed at all these places, and Best Buy customer service is so bad, that insisting on them price matching would have been a world of suckitude!

But thanks for the tip, anyways, man.

If anyone could share an experience to the contrary, I'll kick myself for not buying one before they sold out at my local BB.[/quote]

Mine works fine, I fiddled around with my BIOS the other day using the Tarantula and had no problem. I -do- have my keyboard updated though so I don't know if it was able to do it pre-update.

bread's done
Back