Razer Tarantula Gaming Keyboard 18.99 YMMV

Ultrawolf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I walked into my local Bestbuy and randomly decided to browse the keyboard/peripheral section and saw a price tag for a clearanced out Tarantula keyboard for 18.99 down from 95 bucks or so. Seeing as this is a tremendous value and that I had already had my eye on that keyboard I asked one of the local employees to do a store search for me and found that about half of the best buys in the area were doing the 18.99 price and the rest had them at the normal 95 bucks. I went to one that was about 40 minutes away and snagged one (totally worth it IMO), so take it as YMMV but I would definitely either call ahead OR go in-store and ask them to do a store inventory search so you can check who has it and for what price.

At least half the stores in GA have it slashed down.
Just to reiterate, this was at Best Buy. They don't have it listed on their website so you can't do an online store search :(

There is 1 left at the Columbus, Ohio (Polaris) Best Buy. I did not have enough on me to pick up a 2nd. Sorry to those who havent found one.

[quote name='SaII']the best buy in new hope commons in durham NC does not have this. :p[/quote]

:cry: that sucks that they all disappeared in three days. either word got out, employees scooped them or someone hoarded them.

Mn I must've JUST missed you there. I grabbed 2 of the 3 I saw. WOW. I guess I'll check the other locations tom and post back

[quote name='Shoagie']There is 1 left at the Columbus, Ohio (Polaris) Best Buy. I did not have enough on me to pick up a 2nd. Sorry to those who havent found one.[/quote]

Anyone afraid of not being able to use it in the BIOS because of the IGN review, don't be. You can download and install firmware 2.02 into the keyboard and it will work as long as you enable USB Legacy/Keyboard support with your old keyboard beforehand.

[quote name='bill123']Mn I must've JUST missed you there. I grabbed 2 of the 3 I saw. WOW. I guess I'll check the other locations tom and post back[/QUOTE]

There was one left behind the ladder and that was it after i got mine.

Nothing at the BBY NE of FT Worth next to the NE Mall.

Also, for S&G's I went by the Circuit City and they had about 6 of them at 79.99.. Didnt know anything about the clearance at BBY.

There weren't any Best Buys in the entire region that had any and when I went to get a rain check for it the guy customer service and his supervisor couldn't get it to work because "it wasn't in the add". The MOD was cool and told me to come back in when they have it in stock and she would give it to me for the on sale price. I went to the shelf, took the $18.99 tag and stuck it in my pocket. I'm going to go to Circuit City tomorrow and see if I can price match it.

no BB's had them for the 18.99 in the springfield (northern VA area) area. Had them do a multi-store price check and the lowest in the area was 45.99. Might be worth noting that every single BB in the area had the keyboard for a different price.

If someone has an extra and is looking to trade, I've got copies of Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, and Empire at War: Forces of Corruption I'm willing to part with (but only for a good offer). If you paid $19 for this keyboard, shoot me a PM and let's work something out.

I'm pretty sure you can't price match a clearance item. If it's on sale that's another thing. I'm not sure on specific store policies though.

[quote name='Rounders55']I'm pretty sure you can't price match a clearance item. If it's on sale that's another thing. I'm not sure on specific store policies though.[/quote]

Actually that is exactly what I just hopped on to say. I don't know if they are supposed to do this or not, but today I got a CSR to do exactly that. This was at the Best Buy in Riverhead, NY. I got him to to look up local prices of other Best Buys on Long Island and he was willing to price match their clearance prices. Scored one for 18.99

on a side note, has anyone had trouble updating the firmware? i follow the instructions, hit next and nothing happens.

[quote name='zensation']on a side note, has anyone had trouble updating the firmware? i follow the instructions, hit next and nothing happens.[/QUOTE]

I had a terrible time trying to update my razer diamondback's firmware; eventually it just bricked itself, which was pretty annoying...good luck tho

[quote name='zensation']on a side note, has anyone had trouble updating the firmware? i follow the instructions, hit next and nothing happens.[/quote]

Yea, I had a problem at first updating it too but I followed the readme instructions instead of the on screen prompts. Just seemed more clear to me there and I got it done.

Checked a few BBs in the Denver area:

$95 at the Lakewood BB
None at Broomfield
None at Westminster
$56 at Northglenn

Nothing at $ 18.99 :/

The Best Buy in Cheektowaga, NY had about 5 priced at $42.99.

Gonna go in tomorrow to see if any other local BBs have it at $18.99 and see if I can't get it price matched. If not, I need a new keyboard anyways.

I checked the Best Buy in Boardman, OH. They had these and the Razer Lycosa keyboards both on clearance for $51.99.

I've got the Razer Reclusa keyboard, and I've got to say I don't like it as much as the Saitek Eclipse it replaced. The construction doesn't seem as good, I don't like the key movement as well, but the biggest problem for me is the row of keys to the left of the number pad enter key.

I use the number pad enter key all the time, and I'm used to it being the right-most key on the keyboard. On the Reclusa I'm always hitting the CD eject button that is where my fingers think the enter key should be, which is annoying. This may not be an issue at all for other people, though.

[quote name='EtherGnat']I've got the Razer Reclusa keyboard, and I've got to say I don't like it as much as the Saitek Eclipse it replaced. The construction doesn't seem as good, I don't like the key movement as well, but the biggest problem for me is the row of keys to the left of the number pad enter key.

I use the number pad enter key all the time, and I'm used to it being the right-most key on the keyboard. On the Reclusa I'm always hitting the CD eject button that is where my fingers think the enter key should be, which is annoying. This may not be an issue at all for other people, though.[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest selling point here is it being $18.99

1 left at $21.99 in Rochester, MN. I picked up one and left one. Used the 12% off so not to bad.. on a side note if anyone wants to see semi-pro the ticket rings up $4.99 solo..so with a 10% off you get a ticket for $4.50 not the best deal.. but not bad. Still ill that all the guides were gone.

I bought 2 at one store for $94. Then went to one were they were $21.99 and then pricematched them no questions asked just scanned and then put $66. Each back on my card. They had an open box one there so I ask if she would scan the UPC code that is not the open box code and it rang up cheaper. I didn't get that one. But if someone wants it I can try to go get it in a couple of days let me know.

[quote name='EtherGnat']I've got the Razer Reclusa keyboard, and I've got to say I don't like it as much as the Saitek Eclipse it replaced. The construction doesn't seem as good, I don't like the key movement as well, but the biggest problem for me is the row of keys to the left of the number pad enter key.

I use the number pad enter key all the time, and I'm used to it being the right-most key on the keyboard. On the Reclusa I'm always hitting the CD eject button that is where my fingers think the enter key should be, which is annoying. This may not be an issue at all for other people, though.[/quote]

That's a Microsoft keyboard designed in conjunction with Razer, but most of the design decisions had their roots in previous Microsoft designs. The Tarantula and Lycosa keyboards are true Razer designs.

the keyboard was something like $56 and $72 at the two Best Buy stores I went to. Epic fail.

No matter, I still adore my Saitek Eclipse, and I have the Eclipse II, purchased cheaply, sitting unopened, waiting for its day in the sun.

Went back and checked the locale. The closest ones with the 18.99 price were Acworth, GA and somewhere in MS.

Anybody wanna nab one of these for me tho? PM, please.

Yea, I checked 5 BB in metro ATL whilst searching for bargain game guides. I found 2 BB that still had them in stock but all were just under $60.

[quote name='Mr. Spinnington']$25 shipped, if you want. I'd appreciate it : )[/quote]

wow.... so you r willing to pay the guy $3.00 for shipping not including the tax and the time he needs to spend on getting one to help you out.

How nice of you.

Hey all,

Just to reiterate, me and my friend whom is also a CAG member went to BB to look for it. Obviously they were all sold out. We eventually found a BB that had it in stock but was selling it for $50+. We took it upon ourselves to demand it for $18.99. When the guy said that he couldn't do it due to some stupid BB policy that they only price match items in stock, we demanded to see the manager. His manager came and gave us the same answer. This is where we demanded to see the district manager. We politely told all of them that we did not drive all this way to not pay $18.99. If 1 BB sells it for $19, then all of them should sell it for that price. Is it not ridiculous that you won't price match your own store? They finally gave in and gave it to us, which of course, we cleaned them out and bought all 4 that was left. =) So if you really want the keyboard, talk to someone higher up in the food chain

As a former Best Buy employee I remember calling the DM right there in front of customers that said that. Most would leave at that point.

I also remember customers who were nice, and said "please" usually got what they wanted as long as it was not insanely bad for business.

That said, if you were buying ONE I would have done this price match in a second. But when you go for four, I would have told you to call 1-888-BESTBUY with any complaints but this was not going to happen for you.

[quote name='lam_chopz']Hey all,

Just to reiterate, me and my friend whom is also a CAG member went to BB to look for it. Obviously they were all sold out. We eventually found a BB that had it in stock but was selling it for $50+. We took it upon ourselves to demand it for $18.99. When the guy said that he couldn't do it due to some stupid BB policy that they only price match items in stock, we demanded to see the manager. His manager came and gave us the same answer. This is where we demanded to see the district manager. We politely told all of them that we did not drive all this way to not pay $18.99. If 1 BB sells it for $19, then all of them should sell it for that price. Is it not ridiculous that you won't price match your own store? They finally gave in and gave it to us, which of course, we cleaned them out and bought all 4 that was left. =) So if you really want the keyboard, talk to someone higher up in the food chain[/QUOTE]

almost sounds like you kissed their ass a bit too much there.. any dignity? lol

Just to reiterate, me and my friend whom is also a CAG member went to BB to look for it. Obviously they were all sold out. We eventually found a BB that had it in stock but was selling it for $50+. We took it upon ourselves to demand it for $18.99. When the guy said that he couldn't do it due to some stupid BB policy that they only price match items in stock, we demanded to see the manager. His manager came and gave us the same answer. This is where we demanded to see the district manager. We politely told all of them that we did not drive all this way to not pay $18.99. If 1 BB sells it for $19, then all of them should sell it for that price. Is it not ridiculous that you won't price match your own store? They finally gave in and gave it to us, which of course, we cleaned them out and bought all 4 that was left. =) So if you really want the keyboard, talk to someone higher up in the food chain[/quote]
$25 shipped, if you don't mind.

last night went to BB in manalapan, NJ and they were sold out of course. took the price tag off the shelf and then went to BB in holmdel. they had 2 there. the looked at the tag i brought in and then checked thier inventory system with local numbers of stock per region and saw that it was 18.99 at the manalapan location. they marked it down without a problem. if anyone is hunting for one, try what i did.

Just to reiterate, me and my friend whom is also a CAG member went to BB to look for it. Obviously they were all sold out. We eventually found a BB that had it in stock but was selling it for $50+. We took it upon ourselves to demand it for $18.99. When the guy said that he couldn't do it due to some stupid BB policy that they only price match items in stock, we demanded to see the manager. His manager came and gave us the same answer. This is where we demanded to see the district manager. We politely told all of them that we did not drive all this way to not pay $18.99. If 1 BB sells it for $19, then all of them should sell it for that price. Is it not ridiculous that you won't price match your own store? They finally gave in and gave it to us, which of course, we cleaned them out and bought all 4 that was left. =) So if you really want the keyboard, talk to someone higher up in the food chain[/quote]

And that other friend would be me...hah. Still, it was worth the hassle. If you really want something, you go to fight for it at these big brick and mortar stores.

For those who live in Tampa, FL, the new BB on the NW corner of 54 and I75 has four in stock for $20 and some change.

Thanks guys I just pricematched a different best buy and got the keyboard for 18.99 no problem!!!! sweet deal!!! now help me get a 60GB PS3 and I will be in computer gaming ecstasy!!!!!

If anyone can pick one up for me Ill be more than happy to work something out with Paypal of course or maybe even something from my list.

The BB in Manhattan is a no go they have one left and it scanned up as 59.99.

[quote name='Day1221']last night went to BB in manalapan, NJ and they were sold out of course. took the price tag off the shelf and then went to BB in holmdel. they had 2 there. the looked at the tag i brought in and then checked thier inventory system with local numbers of stock per region and saw that it was 18.99 at the manalapan location. they marked it down without a problem. if anyone is hunting for one, try what i did.[/QUOTE]

I used to live in Holmdel. I miss that area :cry:

I havent had any luck tracking any of these down yet.

i went to the best buy in Deerfield, IL. they had a tag on the shelf saying $18.99, but none in stock. when the employee looked it up, only Evanston had it for $18.99 but also out of stock, Glenview for $46.99 or so and regular price everywhere else (all the way up to Waukegan down to Orland Park).

he said that it was probably going to be discontinued at their store, which is why they're on clearance. buut yeah just a heads up for anyone in the Chicagoland area.

bread's done
Back