RB2: 360 or PS3?

torifile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I'm thinking of jumping on that RB2 deal at TRU and I was wondering what people thought about which system to buy RB2 for. I've got both the PS3 and 360. The PS3 has been delegated the duty of being our DVD player so it's already in the living room. I'd have to move my 360 out there if we were to play with a group of people.

Pros of the PS3:
- PSN sharing of songs
- already out in the living room
- generally better reliability

Pros of the 360:
- achievements (I'm not an achievements whore, but they are a motivator for me)
- XBL - I've got many friends on my list and a working invite system

Can the instruments from one system work on the other? That would make the situation trivial since I could buy a standalone copy for the off system if I really wanted.

The PS3 version of RB2 does have trophies and the instruments from GH are compatible w/ RB2 thanks to the patch.

I meant can I use the ps3 instruments with the 360 and vice versa. I know that's a long shot but if they're USB I figured it might work.

I would go 360 that is what I did when I had the same situation come up about which system. Plus for me it is something to play with the woman since doesn't play anything on 360 but Fable 2.

360 unless you must must have a blue ray disc player. the 360 XBL is just too good, easy to navigate and they're constantly adding/updating. imo PS3 has more potential with a better console engine but hardly any vendors are actually pushing the limits of the PS3 to show off what it can really do.

I picked up the PS3 version, but I may exchange it for the 360 version if it makes sense to do so. The big thing for me is that DLC is sharable on the PS3 and I'm a cheapass. That'll save me lots of money in the long run. And the PS3 will be in the living room.... But I'm not set on it yet.

Go with the PS3 version (or stick with it). You can get songs cheaper by sharing (it can get very expensive). Trophies will reward you for stuff in Home down the road (which is being rumored. Also IMO, Trophies > Achievements).

There's really NO difference between the two versions (both have voicechat online). In my case, more of my friends have RB1 and 2 on PS3, so that's what I got with.
[quote name='munch']360 for sure. More people to play with.[/QUOTE]It's the opposite position for me. Just a few of my XBL friends have RB2, while several of my PSN friends own it.

do whatever the fuck you want. in reality you have already made up your mind and nothing that anyone says will change your mind. You just want support for whatever you decided so this thread is pointless. i fuckin hate it when threads like theses are started. you're a grown person, do what you want and stop posting.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
In my case, more of my friends have RB1 and 2 on PS3, so that's what I got with.

It's the opposite position for me. Just a few of my XBL friends have RB2, while several of my PSN friends own it.[/quote]

Of course.

[quote name='RandyTsai']do whatever the fuck you want. in reality you have already made up your mind and nothing that anyone says will change your mind. You just want support for whatever you decided so this thread is pointless. i fuckin hate it when threads like theses are started. you're a grown person, do what you want and stop posting.[/QUOTE]
Actually, no, I haven't made up my mind. If these threads bother you so much, stay the fuck out. It's not like there was any ambiguity in the thread title. There are clearly pros and cons to both systems' versions, so I thought I'd get a sense of what people think. You know, ask others for opinions.

Get the version you think you will play more. So if the PS3 is already in the living room in a comfortable spot for entertaining, then I would go with it.

[quote name='torifile']I meant can I use the ps3 instruments with the 360 and vice versa. I know that's a long shot but if they're USB I figured it might work.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that would be a sign of the Apocalypse.

the pros for PS3 are greater than the 360 pros... (please add trophies to the PS3 pros as well).

do you have any PSN friends, with whom you can share songs with?

[quote name='torifile'][quote name='RandyTsai']do whatever the fuck you want. in reality you have already made up your mind and nothing that anyone says will change your mind. You just want support for whatever you decided so this thread is pointless. i fuckin hate it when threads like theses are started. you're a grown person, do what you want and stop posting.[/quote]

Actually, no, I haven't made up my mind. If these threads bother you so much, stay the fuck out. It's not like there was any ambiguity in the thread title. There are clearly pros and cons to both systems' versions, so I thought I'd get a sense of what people think. You know, ask others for opinions.[/quote]
Come on fellas! Don't get your panties in a bunch!

Buy it for the 360. Cause that's the more common system. And you can move all the RB1 songs over to RB2 for only 400 points. Or, buy it for the PS3 for simplicity in your living room.

Actually, keeping your cabinet tidy is probably more important, so just get the PS3 version. If you can move the old songs.

This is why I'm so incredibly torn. I've got a really good PSN sharing group. Though we don't do RB songs, the experience has been positive enough that I wouldn't hesitate to join another group for RB songs. The issue is that I've got more friends with 360s and I don't even know if the PS3 will stick around since I'm gaming on my 360.

But I don't want it to play online necessarily since it's mostly for when we have people actually over...

Are there any differences in gameplay? How much is the DLC? I think the problem really is that I want to keep the PS3 and justify it's presence in my house when I've already got a 360 (for games) and an AppleTV (for media). If I can easily slot the PS3 into that "group entertainment" niche, it might be doable. But I've also got a Wii (which I'd get rid of if my wife didn't like it) for that...

I think I need to decide if I'm keeping the PS3 for sure. If so, I can go whole hog on making it my living room entertainment, possibly phasing out the AppleTV. If only they did netflix streaming on the PS3 without having to use something on my PC because I've got a Mac. Now I'm just rambling... Jesus. This shouldn't be such a hard decision to make!

[quote name='torifile']This is why I'm so incredibly torn. I've got a really good PSN sharing group. Though we don't do RB songs, the experience has been positive enough that I wouldn't hesitate to join another group for RB songs. The issue is that I've got more friends with 360s and I don't even know if the PS3 will stick around since I'm gaming on my 360.

But I don't want it to play online necessarily since it's mostly for when we have people actually over...

Are there any differences in gameplay? How much is the DLC? I think the problem really is that I want to keep the PS3 and justify it's presence in my house when I've already got a 360 (for games) and an AppleTV (for media). If I can easily slot the PS3 into that "group entertainment" niche, it might be doable. But I've also got a Wii (which I'd get rid of if my wife didn't like it) for that...

I think I need to decide if I'm keeping the PS3 for sure. If so, I can go whole hog on making it my living room entertainment, possibly phasing out the AppleTV. If only they did netflix streaming on the PS3 without having to use something on my PC because I've got a Mac. Now I'm just rambling... Jesus. This shouldn't be such a hard decision to make![/quote]
If you're trying that hard to justify using a console, it sounds like you don't need it. Seriously, there's no reason you have to own a PS3. If you do all/most of your gaming on the 360, like the Netflix streaming, sell the PS3 and get a dedicated BD player. If it's that hard to justify, drop it.

[quote name='Quillion']If you're trying that hard to justify using a console, it sounds like you don't need it. Seriously, there's no reason you have to own a PS3. If you do all/most of your gaming on the 360, like the Netflix streaming, sell the PS3 and get a dedicated BD player. If it's that hard to justify, drop it.[/QUOTE]
You're probably right. I haven't made the jump to BluRay movies yet and I don't know if I ever will since streaming is so much more convenient. I got the PS3 for less than $300 with the ebay cashback thing so it seems a shame to sell it but it is complicating my life and that's not a good thing...

The only real advantage of the PS3 over the 360 with respect to the game (I'm not comparing the pros and cons of the respective systems as a whole!) is the shareable DLC. And it seems foolish to keep a $400 system around to save $50 on DLC...

you can import rb1 songs on the PS3 for the same price. If you want to get into a rb2 (ps3) sharing group, pm me @torifile. Why you not use the ps3 so much?? It has some great exclusives. ~~~don't even start a this sytem is better than this system war in this thread please~~~ I'm just saying if you've got the three newest systems, show them all equal love.

difference in gameplay? no
DLC usually $1.99 a song (dicounted if a track pack or full album)
RB2 is an awesome quick go-to game. You can pick up and play for 3 mins to 3 hours. You never forget the controls (I have alot of FPS' and I tend to take a few to remeber what button is what when switching titles). Use the Ps3 in the main room, blu-ray + dowloadable movie service + rockband = good for the family or when you have guests over.

hope that helps, no I'm not a fanboy so don't flame me, let's be adults.

bread's done
Back