RCA 5.1 Surround for your 360 or PS3 - Walmart $99

Does anyone know how to get optical output from the PS3 when using HDMI? My receiver is older and has optical input but does not have a HDMI pass through. I could never get it to work messing around with the PS3 settings.

With a PS3, it's a good idea to go for 7.1 if you can handle the speaker layout. I love it.

[quote name='blindinglights']Does anyone know how to get optical output from the PS3 when using HDMI? My receiver is older and has optical input but does not have a HDMI pass through. I could never get it to work messing around with the PS3 settings.[/QUOTE]

Go to the audio settings and choose Optical. It's not hard. The video setup will do both video and audio, but then you can go do audio separately.

[quote name='blindinglights']Does anyone know how to get optical output from the PS3 when using HDMI? My receiver is older and has optical input but does not have a HDMI pass through. I could never get it to work messing around with the PS3 settings.[/QUOTE]

Optical output is a separate output on the back of ur ps3 and to hook it up you will need a cheap $4 optical cable. You can set the ps3 to display video threw hdmi and have sound go threw optical.

Heres a cheap optical cable and since its digital youl get no signal loss.

http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Digital-Optical-Audio-Cable/dp/B0002MQGOK

Any sound nuts have an opinion on this setup? I've been looking for some cheap but decent speakers, kinda wanted to go for a soundbar but this seems pretty intruiging as well

It likely won't sound all that great given the price...though personally I've never been a fan of similarly priced soundbars either and would rather pick this if I had to choose one of the two.

[quote name='psybuster']it likely won't sound all that great given the price...though personally i've never been a fan of similarly priced soundbars either and would rather pick this if i had to choose one of the two.[/quote]

+1

Yeah you get what you pay for in this price range, but your not going to be able to build a 5.1 setup for $99.

Looks like it wouldn't be too bad if I wanted to use it for my PC someday but I already have a full 5.1 system I built.

[quote name='FadeToOne']
Go to the audio settings and choose Optical. It's not hard. The video setup will do both video and audio, but then you can go do audio separately.[/QUOTE]

I did that but it didn't work. I have the optical cable and everything setup, but no luck. I wasn't sure if it didn't do optical when using hdmi. I guess I'll try again in a little while.

250W total output? Lol i think a mouse can fart louder than what that sub and speakers will be putting out, not to long ago i got a phillips 5.1 1000W set up from them for 150 and i believe BB has a 1200W sony 5-1 for 170

Let's face it... this set is better than your television speakers. Even a 250W sub will provide more lows than your TV... or a soundbar for that matter. If you're an audiophile, this set will disappoint. If you just want better sound than what your TV provides, this might be a good buy.

For $30 more, you could grab this Yamaha 5.1 speaker package (which is surprisingly good... my friend has one). Just need to find a receiver to pair with it... I always see receivers on craigslist.

Just a friendly warning, I'd avoid anything carrying the RCA name. I bought a surround setup last year and it lasted about 6 months. I also made the mistake of buying an RCA mp3 player and iPhone alarm dock both of which lasted 4 and 5 months respectively. I'd sooner grab the insignia set up that is frequently on sale for the same price at best buy.

I wouldn't touch that system with a ten foot pole. It's all driven through that DVD player, and you have no idea how much power it really can handle.

This is money that is better spent towards a real receiver and speakers.

HTIB systems like this are a waste of money and time spent trying to work with it for your needs.

There's next to no 7.1 contentment out on BluRay and when/if 7.1 content is released you will sacrifice your TrueHD and DTS Master audio track, just FYI

[quote name='meta460085']There's next to no 7.1 contentment out on BluRay and when/if 7.1 content is released you will sacrifice your TrueHD and DTS Master audio track, just FYI[/QUOTE]You really should check your facts before posting:

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=7.1

193 titles (at the time of this post) listed there that are 7.1 capable, and just about all of them are DTS-MA 7.1 audio.

I own more than a few of the titles on the list and I've set my PS3 from 5.1 to 7.1 to see how the sound differs, and there is a noticeable difference between the two when you have a 7.1 capable receiver and speaker.

[quote name='shrike4242']You really should check your facts before posting:

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php?OrderBy=Title&Audio=7.1

193 titles (at the time of this post) listed there that are 7.1 capable, and just about all of them are DTS-MA 7.1 audio.

I own more than a few of the titles on the list and I've set my PS3 from 5.1 to 7.1 to see how the sound differs, and there is a noticeable difference between the two when you have a 7.1 capable receiver and speaker.[/QUOTE]

Not a single movie I'm interested in supports 7.1. My new receiver supports 7.1, so I'm future proofed.

Do any/all games support it?

[quote name='newbslice']i got a phillips 5.1 1000W set up from them for 150 and i believe BB has a 1200W sony 5-1 for 170[/QUOTE]

You're just kidding yourself if you think you really have a 1000W system.

[quote name='blindinglights']I did that but it didn't work. I have the optical cable and everything setup, but no luck. I wasn't sure if it didn't do optical when using hdmi. I guess I'll try again in a little while.[/QUOTE]

It works. I have the same problem as you and hdmi for video and optical for sound works.

[quote name='shrike4242']I wouldn't touch that system with a ten foot pole. It's all driven through that DVD player, and you have no idea how much power it really can handle.

This is money that is better spent towards a real receiver and speakers.

HTIB systems like this are a waste of money and time spent trying to work with it for your needs.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this man. You'd be better off saving your money and buying a good set of speakers that will last a long time. Even a decent stereo setup will be waaaaaaay better than this.

[quote name='pimpster4183']I wonder if this is available in store?[/QUOTE]
Yes i seen them on the shelf's for this price

Its $99 and it will supply people with 5.1 sound regardless of it not having huge quailty sound that a standalone $200 receiver would it will get the job done for most who are currently using standard tv speakers and want that 5.1 advantage in online games.

Alot of people waste money on turtle beach headsets that suck up batterys and get shorted out wires that cost more then this even and those are usally just stereo simulated surround. Cant really be to harsh on a $99 setup. Its also got a upscaling dvd player. Not saying expect huge quality bass bumping sound but it will be better then your tv sound and give you a real 5.1 output. I cant personally vouch for this but in the store it looked decent for $99 Also i believe walmart offers warranty for cheap on stuff like this but im not 100% sure.

[quote name='Xenokai']Its $99 and it will supply people with 5.1 sound regardless of it not having huge quailty sound that a standalone $200 receiver would it will get the job done for most who are currently using standard tv speakers and want that 5.1 advantage in online games.

Alot of people waste money on turtle beach headsets that suck up batterys and get shorted out wires that cost more then this even and those are usally just stereo simulated surround. Cant really be to harsh on a $99 setup. Its also got a upscaling dvd player. Not saying expect huge quality bass bumping sound but it will be better then your tv sound and give you a real 5.1 output. I cant personally vouch for this but in the store it looked decent for $99 Also i believe walmart offers warranty for cheap on stuff like this but im not 100% sure.[/QUOTE]

Value and flexibility wise I disagree. On equal footing, a similar level 5.1 setup is greater than the headphone and simulated surround. But imho equal footing this is not.
The turtle beach isnt what should be used for compairson. A good set of headphones and a sound processor is. On sales and whatnot, a Senn 555 and amp with admittedly faux surround support would be $20-30ish more but far better usable parts (the headphones are solid investment until you get to the $200-$250 range) and the processor fake surround on good headphones will still be greater than a very underpowered and iffy drivered 5.1 setup.
People oft point to the fact there arent 5 true speakers to push sound through and while true, I promise you fidelity wise the hybrid solution wins out. (ive tested and it can hang with anything Ive got up to my rediculous powered marantz and polk setup (and not the electronic store stuff, the reference series stuff before things went downhill in the early 2000s)
It flies in the face of convention for sure but it converted my overly neurotic ears.
And when its all said in done youve got serious headphones and a usuable but modest portable amp (both things you can carry on to later equipment) rather than something you have to wholesale dump (theres no piece id save,even the wires)

And when you score a solid amp, those headphones will get even better.

Surround doesnt need the high dollar investment some suggest but the cost of entry (for anything meaningful at all) is higher than $100.

Headphones bring you closer to usuable surround than any package sub $300, unless feeling the sound (sub) is your aim (but then any package sub wont satisfy anyway)

I agree with the mod; DVD Home Theater systems simply aren't worth it. They're made mostly for someone who doesn't want a large reciever, but you sacrifice connectability and quality of sound.

That plus RCA has really turned to suck as of late. Pass on it and save for something better.

i am thinking of buying this should i? but u guys are bashing this system, really its just gonna b hooked up for the ps3 so i can really b in the game,and this is well in my price range should i jump for it?

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Let's face it... this set is better than your television speakers. Even a 250W sub will provide more lows than your TV... or a soundbar for that matter. If you're an audiophile, this set will disappoint. If you just want better sound than what your TV provides, this might be a good buy.

For $30 more, you could grab this Yamaha 5.1 speaker package (which is surprisingly good... my friend has one). Just need to find a receiver to pair with it... I always see receivers on craigslist.[/QUOTE]

It's not a 250w sub, it's 250 TOTAL watts. I'm guessing, without looking (because I don't care that much), that the sub will be 80w max. Yeah, it's probably better than TV speakers, but then again, so is everything else on the market. If it is truly all you can afford, it is probably better than what you have, but it REALLY would be better served going toward something better, if at all possible. I prefer sony, personally, but they are hit and miss, so read reviews first. I've had three sony receivers: loved the first one, love the new one. The one in the middle was a total piece of **** that I replaced within like 8 months because the sound quality was so bad.

I've had an RCA 5.1 non-dvd HTIB for about 2 years now... It's been ok, sound is better than the TV even though I'm not using the optical inputs (the digital sound processor is broken apparently). For $99 you can't really complain, but honestly I wished I just saved my money and got at least a panasonic/sony/lg HTIB. It's hard to justify paying money for a sound system that's $300+, until you have a system you weren't satisfied with. You don't have to be an audiophile to hear the difference, it's noticeable. If you can afford a better system get the better HTIB. If you're on a budget and you don't have any option for long term, get the RCA. It's better than TV sound, but it left me unsatisfied day one (gf on the other hand thinks it's sufficient).

Dont listen to the "Audio Snobs". Especially if youre just using tv speakers now. this will blow your tv speakers away. Ive been using a Phillips brand digital 5.1 dvd sourround like this for 2 years and i love it, and i used to have a Kenwood prologic receiver and 5.1 speaker setup. Now dont get me wrong a Digital 5.1 receiver and speaker setup would blow this away, but it will also cost alot more.
im sure you can take it back if you dont like it.

HTIBs like this aren't worth it. The speaker connectors aren't standard, so if you want to upgrade any piece of it, you throw the set away. You're limited to a single input, and whatever fuzzy math they're doing to get you the power rating that they claim.

I can be as harsh as I want on this "setup", because it's money that's going to be wasted as you can't do anything with it towards upgrading for the future. It'll sound like a POS setup because it is one.

It's better to purchase a good receiver and start with getting good 2.1 speakers and work up to 5.1 speakers, or start with a lower-end set of 5.1 speakers.

One option, on sale at NewEgg.com for $179.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10-Index-_-HomeAudioSpeakers-_-82290066-L029C

5.1 capable receiver with more than one input, $199.99 at NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120164

Add in some speaker wire and you're done. And yes, I know it's not the same $99 price as this RCA kit, though you can replace the receiver without kicking your speakers to the curb as well as replace the speakers, one at a time if you'd prefer, without kicking the receiver to the curb. Plus, it'll sound quite better than this $99 RCA setup.

[quote name='letmeinnow']Dont listen to the "Audio Snobs". Especially if youre just using tv speakers now. this will blow your tv speakers away. Ive been using a Phillips brand digital 5.1 dvd sourround like this for 2 years and i love it, and i used to have a Kenwood prologic receiver and 5.1 speaker setup. Now dont get me wrong a Digital 5.1 receiver and speaker setup would blow this away, but it will also cost alot more.
im sure you can take it back if you dont like it.[/QUOTE]

You're halfway wrong and right. Yes i have a Phillips DVD system and it blows me away. I know its not high class but for a starter its a hundred times better than the RCA. I don't want to look at the link but it probably is the same system i bought two Christmases ago when i got my wii. It was 99 bucks at target and couldn't refuse .. trust me DO NOT BUY

I just picked up the Philips 1000W DVD system from Newegg for $130. I'd rather have a nicer setup and I will eventually, but I just got really tired of playing PS3/360 games and having all the sound come out of my tv speakers. It has surprisingly good sound for a cheap box set and it allows me to play in 5.1. Once I have the money, I plan on upgrading a decent Onkyo system and some really nice speakers, but this will certainly tide me over until then.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2641373&cm_sp=MyNewegg-_-Recmd-_-Pst02Descrip

(Its $150 now)

bread's done
Back