RE4 no longer exclusive to GCN

I'm amazed how embittered people are over this. The GC has proven to be a poor platform for third party publishers. Get over it. Nothing is going to change that in its lifetime. As a result, the next Nintendo console will also face an uphill battle to draw support away from Sony. The same can be said for Microsoft's next console, although it will enjoy a stronge starting benefit of the doubt from US developers who've done decent if not great business on Xbox.

It all comes down to numbers. Which machine has a cuter name or a prettier box, none of that matters to a third party publisher. The #1 consideration when choosing which platform to support is installed base. This is so much more important than all other issues that you can also list numbers 2 though 5 as installed base, too. Then you can start thinking about things like the technical requirements of the game, demographics of the possible platforms, etc. Those machines sold make all the difference for the smaller boutiques publishers, such as Atlus, particularly. When you have a title that might only reach 1% at best of the US installed base this is the difference between 300,000 PS2 units and 80,000 GameCube units. The difference between a viable title and a money pit.

The Monkey Ball series is a good example. Sega originally chose to make it a GameCube exclusive. They were newly finding their way as a third party publisher and tried distributing exclusives by the apparent demographic match of the respective platforms. Monkey Ball seemed best suited to Nintendo's youth and family orientaton. This failed to pay off and Sega is now porting a compiled version of the series to the two competing systems. It is almost guaranteed by virtue of sheer numbers that the PS2 version, even at its low price point, will be more profitable in the long term than the GC version that launched with the machine. Sega also has an Xbox version coming. This is more of a risk but the cost for porting an existing title with low technical requirements is low compared to creating a new Xbox title from scratch. A bigger worry is the Xbox's low numbers, which are little better than the GC's. Mitigating this is the much greater uptake of third party titles by Xbox owners.

Demographics are a difficult business. Early on, most publishers wouldn't put a kid oriented game on the Xbox. So Harry Potter and Songbob Squarepants were on the unavoidable PS2 and kid-friendly GameCube. A couple years passed and the sales numbers told a different story. Now the first two Harry Potter titles got Xbox releases long after they'd peaked on the other machines and simultaneously release across all platforms for the latest entry. Spongebob has followed suit and the movie tie-in game will be another all-platform release that might have skipped Xbox just a year earlier.

So the Xbox has managed to deliver sales in spite of its having less than a third of the PS2's numbers but the GC with similar numbers hasn't. Even so, there are a lot of titles that aren't going to get ported to Xbox because it cannot deliver sales in the Japanese market where those titles are strongest. If a Japanese publisher has a project with greater potential in the US and Europe it's the opposite situation but thems the breaks. Those few Xbox owners in Japan will at least be offered an untranslated version that runs within their region.

Why can't Nintendo deliver sales to third parties with an installed base comparable to Xbox? I believe it's demographics again. Regardless of present company, the average Xbox owner is older and more likely to have a significant disposable income compared to the on average much younger GameCube owners who are more dependent on the generousity of adults for expanding their library. This might also inhibit the the sales of more mature titles. not because the GC owners themselves don't want them but because the clueless gift giving relatives are playing it safe and sticking to the big Nintendo franchises.

I will be shocked if the Sonic collection and SMB comp. packs sell better than they did on the GCN. Most people who wanted the games and had two systems already had the games.

We are talking about two ports of extremely old games, and by the time of release, interest in them is going to be slim to none.

I wouldn't be able to wait an extra year for RE4. I still think the graphics will suck much worse on the PS2 version.

Just to sate it again, the places where the PS2 will obviously fall behind because it's just the way the system was built

-Lower quality textures
Bla bla bla we know, smaller video ram deal with it.
-Slower loading times
Yeah yeah, big disk, slower drive, tough noogies
-Special lighting effects
PS2 has it's own set of cool effects but they arnt the same as the GC's which Capcom with probably have spent more time on

Oh and of course lets not forget

-Jaggies
OOOH NOOOZ11@!!1! JAGEEES! GEEZ,GET THE fuck OVER THEM ALREADY. Every system has them in som form or another its not that big a fucking deal anymore.

The point is this is going to sell through to probably 40 to 70% of the people who own the cube which will of course not be enough for capcom so they will make every attempt to make more money by selling it to a larger base on PS2, of course all you multi system owners that were intersted in it will have it already this should be a given as waiting a year for a big game is ridiculous.

Capcom will be hoping that those of you that have a PS2 and a NOT a Cube (gasp! yes they DO exist!) will then pick it up for the PS2.. you know because you dont have it already, and to top it off maybe they;ll throw in a cookie to make you want it alittle more if you;re somehow resistant to the simple fact that it;s now on PS2.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I will be shocked if the Sonic collection and SMB comp. packs sell better than they did on the GCN. Most people who wanted the games and had two systems already had the games.

We are talking about two ports of extremely old games, and by the time of release, interest in them is going to be slim to none.[/quote]

The age of the games doesn't matter. In the case of the Sonic Collection most of the games are older than many of the expected players The only thing that matters is whether the games are good.

Consider. If every single GameCube in the world was owned by someone who also owned a PS2 and thus all those PS2 owners had already had ample opportunity to buy the GC version of those games, how little this affects the market potential for the PS2 releases. The GC installed base is only about 20% of that for the PS2. This leaves a market of tens of millions of PS2 owners who may find the games attractive but not enough to merit buying a GameCube. This is especially likely for Sega fans not attracted to the Nintendo franchise that are nearly the sole qualification for the Gamecube's existence. (My own choice of launch title for the GameCube was Super Monkey Ball. Without it I might have skipped the launch and waited for the first big price cut. I wouldn't have missed much.)

A minor hit on PS2 is a bestseller on GC. The market potential for those Sega titles is far from fulfilled so long as they're confined to the GC. The numbers cannot be ignored. The vast majority of video game console owners only buy one system from any generation. They won't 'cross the street' to get an interesting game for another system when there is no shortage of interesting choices where they already are. But if that interesting item comes over to their side, it might do some business.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']Woohoo !

what ?

i hate the gamecube[/quote]

Hating systems stopped being cool back in 2001.

I don't care that it's being ported to the PS2, I'll be getting the chainsaw controller and RE4 soon after the GCN launch.

bread's done
Back