RE4 What it could have been? Old RE4 footage before the final copy.

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
January 26, 2005 - The American release of Resident Evil 4 has come and gone. And for some, so has the entire adventure. After some 20 hours knee-deep in paranormal madness, gamers have emerged from the experience a little older, a little wiser. And for some, perhaps one soiled pair of boxers short of a full drawer. Still, has anyone stopped to wonder what the experience of RE4 may have been like had Capcom stuck to one of its earlier iterations of the game?

As some of you may know, Capcom went through several versions of their latest horror epic before settling on the one currently sold in stores, each of which boasted its own brand of terror. The most infamous of these is undoubtedly the iteration that showed a wildly brave Leon S. Kennedy stalking the halls of a mysterious mansion. The footage aired at the E3 2003 pre show and completely blew spectators away. Here was the same unique blend of horror and action the RE series was know for, only in full 3D with the scare factor magnified ten-fold.

Every aspect of the game reflected the utmost care and attention to detail. Paintings and table settings looked crusty and old, and drapes eerily billowed about. We could make out glimpses of what lay ahead through quick shots of bloody dolls and broken mirrors, not to mention the renewed sense of complete isolation afforded by the graphics engine. This game was going to rock. And then, just like that, Capcom pulled a decisive U-Turn and took RE4 into a bold new direction. However, this doesn't change the fact that Capcom had an entirely different game on their hands.

Even today, weeks after the release of RE4, the footage taken from this older build never fails to impress. Well, now there's a ton more of it. The release of RE4 in Japan came packed with a special DVD containing "long lost" footage of the RE4 that never made it past Capcom's labs. The last we saw of this version, Leon seemed occupied simply creeping around the mansion. This new footage shows Leon battling various adversaries, including homicidal baby dolls and lethal specters. You can also see several elements survived the transition into the current RE4, such as context-sensitive action commands used to dodge attacks.

For example, when Leon struggles against a ghost-like foe that seeps out of a painting, a player could try to overpower the ghoul by directing the Cube's thumbstick either left or right. The ghoul would then attack you with a giant hook, which you could dodge by pressing the appropriate shoulder button, just like dodging attacks in the retail version of RE4. Leon also needed to dodge the attacks from Knights who would slyly try to drop their axes on his head. The rest of the action would look familiar to any RE4 veteran. The camera pulls behind Leon's shoulder to give players a better view of the action when using weapons.

Since most of the game seemed to take place within a darkened mansion, Leon made extensive use of his trusty flashlight. The effect, along with every other lighting effect such as lightning, looked spectacular. In the same way the flashlight/ paranoia trick worked to great effect in Doom 3, there's a good chance this combination of fear would have scared the pants off anyone in a Resident Evil game.

Link:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/582/582869p1.html

^^^
Me too. Personally I would have thought killing baby dolls and "spectres" to be a little lame. I'm here to kill zombies (or not-zombie zombies as the case may be).

The "other" version sounds a bit too much like Silent Hill to me. If I had bought RE4 only to see killer dolls reminiscent of a 6-year-old Silent Hill game, I would have been none too pleased. Still though, I'd like to see this stuff, just for the hell of it.

I'm happy with what we have in the finished game too. I wasn't a RE fan before, I've tried playing many of the games and the controls and camera just irritated me to no end. RE4 however has me completely enthralled. I just started playing it and I can't put it down.

Thanks for the link though, it's nice to see what may have been.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'm happy with the game we ended up getting.[/quote]

I'm happy with your new sig. Though if you were to ask my now-sticky keyboard, it'd probably tell you that I'm a little too happy with your new sig.

People on some of the old PSone boards still regularly talk about playing RE 1.5, the game that eventually became the much beloved RE2. Yes, it might be fun to try that version out, but we already know that the finished product turned out to be an excellent game by any standard. Playing an older beta version would probably be a disappointment by comparison, so I'm not really sad that RE1.5 isn't available.

I too want a copy of RE 1.5. I know it was destroyed, but the video I saw looked awesome.

I think that might be why this version was axed. I agree with Led, they were probably leaning a little bit too close to Silent Hill, then got their head on straight and got back to its roots - puzzles and "zombies". I'm extremely happy with the game that is out now - I actually beat it for a second time this morning.

There is one thing in that video that I wish they would have kept, and that's Leon HOLDING the flashlight. I never understood why it was on his belt, and I wish the C stick could've been used to aim it up and down instead of it always pointing straight. I also would've liked to see him do the cross-arm thing with the flashlight in one hand and the pistol in the other, for some reason, I think that looks cool.

It's amazing how they can have a totally playable and complete (not fully complete, just certain sections complete) game, then axe it and come up with something new.

I once saw a copy of RE 1.5 on ebay but I stupidly ignored it saying that I would come back and bid on it. I forgot about it and it winded up selling for $55 or so. To this day I haven't seen another copy on ebay.

If they were as far along as all that, theres no way there never going to use it. We will see it as some point, in a later game. Heavily altered very possiblly. But from my experience if they were near done, or far along with something they will be using it at some point. Possibly not even in a RE game. After all that's how Devil May Cry came to be.

[quote name='SleazyC']I once saw a copy of RE 1.5 on ebay but I stupidly ignored it saying that I would come back and bid on it. I forgot about it and it winded up selling for $55 or so. To this day I haven't seen another copy on ebay.[/quote]

No copy of it ever leaked, it never left their studios, so be glad you didn't bid.

I'm pleased with the game we ended up with also, but BOY did those videos look extraordinary! The lighting effects, especially with the flashlight, were amazing. It would've been interesting to see where things would've ended up in that version...

The way the dolls could creep under the curtains looks like it would've been frustrating. The game simply doesn't look fun compared to what we recieved in the final copy.

[quote name='Scorch']I never understood why it was on his belt, and I wish the C stick could've been used to aim it up and down instead of it always pointing straight.[/quote]

Oh, so that's where it is. I just thought he inherited some sort of magical glow since that effect shows up after a certain point. I was looking for it on his shoulder strap.

I like the use of the camera angles, and the creep factor was higher than the real deal...but that control scheme would have forced me to not buy it at all.

[quote name='bbfinster']The way the dolls could creep under the curtains looks like it would've been frustrating. The game simply doesn't look fun compared to what we recieved in the final copy.[/quote]

That's my feeling as well. My biggest problem with the older RE's was that it relied way too much on surprise attacks. Very few times were you given the oppurtunity to to see what was attacking you before it happened. Some people call it suspenseful; I call it cheap, especially in a game where ammo and health recovery are extremely limited.

RE4 remedied all of my former complaints in one swoop. While this "other" version would be fun to watch, I doubt I would have much fun at all actually playing it.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I'm happy with the game we ended up getting.[/quote]

I'm happy with your new sig. Though if you were to ask my now-sticky keyboard, it'd probably tell you that I'm a little too happy with your new sig.[/quote]

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twisted:

wow! great footage! the effects are weird, but the flash-light lighting effects are awesome!

the old RE4 gameplay is way too similar to the previous incarnations, i'm really glad for the new direction and final release version we got.

LOL! footage #2, Leon fights Chucky! :rofl:

The one thing I always like about RE series was their attention to detail in their level designs. Too bad that level went to waste.

Does anyone know if that DVD has only "new" old footage only? Or does it have both "new" old footage and the old footage that most people here (except me) have seen before? Thanks. I wish they'd release RE4 the way it was to begin with. Pisses me off. Maybe then, it would've had a better story. Or even, some scary moments (not just a few).

I've seen most of the footage from Resident Evil 3.5, and it looked awesome. I'm a macabre-y person, so the visual style there were going with in 3.5 was just a $50 orgasm rapped in a plastic box for me. Would 3.5 have been better?, that none of us can say, but they were differently going in a different direction with Resident Evil, I think what happened was that they were leaning towards re-inventing Resident Evil in a totally new way, and they dipped way into the paranormal bucket when they wrote the story. For example, what the fuck was the hook-ghost guy that can go through walls about? Or the dolls? (if there not machines that is). Resident Evil isn't about the Para-normal, it's about genetics and people playing [insert your god]. If they were going down the Para-normal road it would have been a baseball bat to the face of every Resident Evil fan (not to mention a writing nightmare to be able to link para-normal things with past resident evils), and thankfully they re-invented Resident Evil but stayed true to what Resident Evil is.

Why did everything turn blue when an enemy came on the screen? :p

Also, I thought the dolls and shit were cool as hell. It seemed more like Japanese horror than American, which is a good thing.

[quote name='zewone']Why did everything turn blue when an enemy came on the screen? :p[/quote]

Probably a visual effect akin to sound changes to alert the players of impending doom. Or, going off of that, a visual effect reminiscent of Doom 3 where a teleporting demon would be given away by the lighting.

bread's done
Back