Ready dood! Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? - Disgaea 2D action - Out NOW!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Prinny_PSP_US_RPverboxart_160w.jpg

Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
Release date: February 2009
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73468
http://www.amazon.com/Prinny-Can-Really-Hero-Sony-PSP/dp/B001L8DKJ8/

------------------

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Dood-Prinn...l-title-box-art-more-screens/pg/49/aid/125877
US Release confirmed!

http://pspupdates.qj.net/New-Disgaea-game-coming-to-PSP-stars-Prinny/pg/49/aid/123510
Prinny: Is it Okay if I'm the Main Character?
Official JP web site (Opens on September 5th)
Yep, this time you'll play as a Prinny warrior in a 2D platformer, though not much else is known about the game yet, as the official web site only currently features a flash short movie detailing the Prinny's meeting where he learns that he will be the main character in the game.

Update 9/3: Well, looks like the gameplay and storyline have been revealed:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169731

It's a side-scrolling action game, where you control one out of 1000 Prinnies, who can attack with swords, jumps, or thrown objects. Your Prinny can die very easily, but is apparently replaced by another member of the Prinny army (Think of it like lives in an action game; 1up compared this quirk to Metal Slug).

Last edited by a moderator:
It seem like cute monsters in major jrpg have there own game. Dragonquest with slimes. Final Fantasy with chocobos. And now, Disgaea with Prinny. That's doesn't mean it's a bad thing, all those game received high praise.

[quote name='SynGamer']Looking forward to this very much so...but will NISA bring it to the U.S.?[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna have to go with that they will.

Well, looks like the gameplay and storyline have been revealed:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169731

It's a side-scrolling action game, where you control one out of 1000 Prinnies, who can attack with swords, jumps, or thrown objects. Your Prinny can die very easily, but is apparently replaced by another member of the Prinny army (Think of it like lives in an action game; 1up compared this quirk to Metal Slug).

yo.... u guys suck... or u doods suck... all of you suck!! especially me!!

dood why couldnt u make this thread more like this:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=163323

umm... anyway on gaf they got sum new screens n shyt

source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334012

[quote name='rykomatsu']Release date: Nov. 20, 2008

edit: nm...won't have time to translate due to work :|

Cliffnotes:
-Etna's dessert got stolen, she gets pissed off, sends you off to find the ultimate dessert
-10 stages, 6 stages available at game start. Difficulty and gimmicks change depending on time of day.
-Time advances at the conclusion(i think?) of a stage
-Prinny can spin (horizontally, vs sonic's vertically and sounds like it functions similarly), jump/double jump, do an ass slam, throw, etc.

Cover?
0.jpg

Preorder bonus will be a soundtrack by Satou Tenpei

00.jpg

Screenies (some of them might be old)

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

9.jpg
10.jpg

11.jpg
12.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg

15.jpg
16.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg

19.jpg

If you can't wait, here's the link
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/103/103412/

cheers~[/QUOTE]

Hot damn. This is the sort of thing that I was looking for when I bought the PSP on launch day: An original NIS game in the Disgaea universe.

Took them long enough to deliver.

Maybe now that they've stepped outside their usual genre, they can making a doujin style 2D fighting game next :3

[quote name='abiallan']lol cool and funny game xD :bouncy::applause: me gonna try this one for sure :D:)[/quote]

I didn't know they had PSPs in the cave....:lol:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']A real live Prinny ;)[/QUOTE]

It would be problematic if they tried to throw that in.

[quote name='Cao Cao']It would be problematic if they tried to throw that in.[/quote]
Hmmm...yea, that promo might blow up in their face

let me guess NISA will give out some neat pre order bonus first X000 people and everyone will go crazy.

[quote name='62t']let me guess NISA will give out some neat pre order bonus first X000 people and everyone will go crazy.[/quote]
You know how they do!

Maybe someone who plays a lot of NIS games can answer this, but who is the annoying woman voice over? She needs to go. Far away. Forever.

Geez. She might need to take the Prinny voice actor too.

Game looks really nice though. I'll take oldskool 2D side scrollers any day of the week.

Sounds like they changed the VA for Etna and the Prinny. The original Prinny VA was the best, in fact, all the VA's from the original disgaea when it FIRST was released on the PS2 were great.

[quote name='Strell']Maybe someone who plays a lot of NIS games can answer this, but who is the annoying woman voice over? She needs to go. Far away. Forever.

Geez. She might need to take the Prinny voice actor too.

Game looks really nice though. I'll take oldskool 2D side scrollers any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Asagi. Here's the Wikipedia entry on her:
Asagi

Class: Human (The Main Character)
Japanese Voice Actor: Chiwa Saito

Asagi was meant to be the main character in a future Nippon Ichi title, though it is rumored to have been scrapped. Ever since Makai Kingdom, where she is forced to become Zetta's apprentice to design the next game, Asagi has appeared in every game as an optional battle and is playable in all of the Disgaea games after that. Her personality changes with each game she appears in with her being a rather calm character in Makai Kingdom. From there, she becomes saddened but hopeful in Disgaea 2, incredibly arrogant and the self-proclaimed "Queen of Games Everywhere" in Soul Nomad, and depressed in Disgaea 3. She appears to be weak in both Makai Kingdom and Disgaea 2 as she is easily defeated by both Zetta and Adell, but by Soul Nomad, she becomes strong enough to amaze even Gig with just 1/10th of her power, though is soundly defeated, but not before being scolded by Gig for destroying the world and thus ending their game.

Disgaea 2 continues where Makai Kingdom left off with Asagi being forced by Zetta to become stronger before becoming the main character again. When Adell and Rozalin meet her, Rozalin has Adell volunteer to test Asagi's power, but she is soundly defeated. Still, it gives her enough hope to be able to get out of the mess Zetta put her in. It should be noted that Disgaea 2 is also the only game that re-uses Asagi's Makai Kingdom sprite, which makes her smaller than most of the characters in Disgaea 2. She claims that everyone is the same size as her in her game. She has a different sprite in Soul Nomad and Disgaea 3.

In Disgaea 3, Asagi supposedly received a game to be the main character of only to have it stolen, and is clearly upset over it. Upon meeting Mao, she assumes him to be the culprit and attacks him. After the battle, she breaks down and cries, saying she had enough and can't understand why she can never be a main character. Mao then tells her that the legendary Overlord who has been stealing things recently is behind this. Asagi joins the party shortly afterwards and is present during the battle with Baal.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Sounds like they changed the VA for Etna and the Prinny. The original Prinny VA was the best, in fact, all the VA's from the original disgaea when it FIRST was released on the PS2 were great.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The original was so much better. I hate new Asagi and Prinny VA.

I just got this from my friend who works at the manufacturer that NIS used to make their Prinny water bottles. I don't have a psp, but I'm a huge Disgaea fan.

0207092337.jpg

Game is fun, though the controls can be fickle sometimes. Overall (through the first stage of six) the game is fun. The voice acting is great, just like you would expect with any Disgaea game. The backgrounds/graphics look really good too.

[quote name='SynGamer']Game is fun, though the controls can be fickle sometimes. Overall (through the first stage of six) the game is fun. The voice acting is great, just like you would expect with any Disgaea game. The backgrounds/graphics look really good too.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any issues with the controls so far. They seem silky smooth and very responsive to me. Great game so far (I'm on the 4th stage of 6) and am enjoying it a lot. In some ways it plays like a puzzle game because you have to think ahead of how to tackle certain situations. Also learning patterns help a ton since unlike Ultimate G&G for the PSP where enemie's attacks were random and led to many annoying deaths. In Prinny once you encounter a situation, it will be the same so you can think of the best way to get past a certain part. I'm also very relieved that the Normal difficulty gives your Prinny 3 hits opposed to 1. I've already spent about 100 of my 1,000 lives.

Hmm that's odd. I'm not sure why you would have that problem. Has it improved any for you after playing more? It's definately a skill you will need since attacking while jumping keeps you suspended in midair which is needed (or at least very helpful) to avoid getting hit by some enemies.

I posted right after i had encountered it in the first stage. You have to jump onto a platform, and then onto another but you land on an enemy which takes a life and knocks you back down to the first level/ground. Each time i tried to attack as i would land and it wouldn't work. Got it somehow, but i was button mashing at that point to get through because it was my 5th attempt or something.

Wife bought this for me for my birthday can't wait to get home and play. I think I am going to be on a Disgaea kick for a couple months

[quote name='SynGamer']I posted right after i had encountered it in the first stage. You have to jump onto a platform, and then onto another but you land on an enemy which takes a life and knocks you back down to the first level/ground. Each time i tried to attack as i would land and it wouldn't work. Got it somehow, but i was button mashing at that point to get through because it was my 5th attempt or something.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you just need to press down and the jump button again while in the air to do a butt-stomp on the enemy. That will cause him to be stunned and a stunned enemy cannot hurt you. Doing that to a group of enemies without landing on the ground will also build up your combo meter quickly. I found the butt-stomp move handy for the platforming too. Sometimes I will line up my jump wrong and if it looks like I'm about to overshoot the platform, I just butt-stomp to come straight down. This is good since you can't control your Prinny in midflight, although you can do a double jump.

I tried the butt stomp but it would never work, i'd get hit before i even got close to being able to do it. Either way, i made it past that area and a few other frustrating ones.

Just got the game Thursday night and played alittle. Actually finished most of it friday night, this morning. The last boss was insane. Great game though, oh but so painful.

I'm a little intrigued by Prinny but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it.

:arrow: I've never played a Disgeia game and I don't like RPG's.

:arrow: I don't like crazy Japanese shit. You know what I mean.

:arrow: I don't have a lot of patience for frustrating games and EVERY review I've read has commented on how difficult this game is to play.

Still, I think the trailers make it look like fun. But that's what trailers are supposed to do, right? So...will I have fun with this? Should I buy it?

I'd appreciate any insights you guys might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back