ReadySHARE Router & PS3?

SnorE

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Alright im in the market for a new wireless router mine is 6+ years old. Drop connections from my macbook and other laptop and just been being a pita lately.

My question is regarding routers such as this one and this one.

If i hook an external hard drive to the "readyshare port" aka usb. From how I am reading it I will be able to just stream music/video/files from the hard drive to all the computers but will my ps3 recognize this?

I am familiar with using my ps3 as a media server but sometimes disconnects when trying to connect to my comp etc and could be a pain

What im ultimately trying to do is get a 2tb external load all my music/videos from my 2 desktops/2 laptops and have them on one hard drive and access them from anywhere

Hope this makes sense any info would be great

If the ready share supports the UPnP Media Server protocol it should work with PS3. BTW - your PS3 is a clieant of a media server (the server is your PC). Watching hi-def stuff over wi-fi is a little dodgy, 100Mbs ethernet is much better. For some blu-ray rips, I have found I had to upgrade 1000Mbs ethernet. YMMV.

Alright so if it supports UPnP protocol and i have my ps3 hooked up through the ethernet to the router would i still be able to access the hard drive hooked up to the router?

thanks for the insight

[quote name='SnorE']Alright so if it supports UPnP protocol and i have my ps3 hooked up through the ethernet to the router would i still be able to access the hard drive hooked up to the router?

thanks for the insight[/QUOTE]

I think the answer is *maybe*. The router will support UPnP, the important thing is if it has it for the media share port.

According to the website, the 3400 does not support DLNA. So that would be a no on direct streaming. You need the 3700, 3800, or 4000 for DLNA.
http://www.netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx

@evil-thanks so what i need to find is a router that supports UPnP & DLNA

Looking like it may be out of my price range. What kinda router you use evil?

You really don't want to know my setup. Before finishing the basement I ran Cat-6 to all rooms and have a "network in a box" in my storage area. What I use for going out is the DLINK 4100 gaming router, but there is no wireless with that, but I understand they have one now with wireless - but I believe the price is around there. I also have an industrial strength firewall sitting there if I decide to use that. I won't bore you with the 2 wireless access points, four switches, and other "fun" items. ;)

Doesn't look like that router would share a hard drive via DLNA, but you would be able to do DLNA with your pc well enough using it.

DLNA/media servers often have to transcode video, generate thumbnails, etc, so the little processors and ram in router boxes just can't handle that stuff. Usually when you see a router with the ability to attach a hard drive, it is just simply Sharing the media. I don't think the 360 or ps3 can play media off a network share... The original xbxox running xbmc can do this though. I used to do this. But to find a network appliance that can fully serve up DLNA, I think your are gonna pay.

I haven't looked into this in a while, so I'd love to be pro en wrong here.

~S

True. It looks like that is correct. I find it odd that they dont' even mention the word DLNA, though they do specifically mention the PS3 and 360, so you should be safe.

I did a little looking and it seems that it may be possible that the other ones you mention may do this too. I think that they likely don't do any video transcoding, any may be a bit sluggish navigating videos, but not sure. The PS3 supports most popular video formats anyway, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure if you came across this site or not, but it has a list of DLNA certified devices:
http://www.dlna.org/products/

Please post back with your experiences. I have an old PC I basically keep running just to run ps3mediaserver. I could save a lot of power by getting rid of it!

Cheers,
~S

bread's done
Back