Rearrange my backlog, please

raarar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
So... One of my new years resolutions is to stop buying video games. (Well. I want to at least beat 5 games this year before I buy anymore). Reason being I'm spending all this money on stuff that I never use and I need that money for other stuff. My backlog has been boring me lately though so I am asking the CAG community to rearrange it for me. now this is no easy task, there are over 100 items in it so how does one pick a good order. If your willing to help just tell me what games I should be playing, rearrange the whole thing. Give me a top 5/10/whatever just help me out because I am to anal to pick a new order and be happy with it. Games list under the spoiler.

:360: (Long List)
:360: viva pinata party animals
:360: banjo kazooie nuts & bolts
:360: guitar hero aerosmith
:360: dead rising
:360: sega superstar tennis
:360: left 4 dead
:360: gears of war 2
:360: beautiful katamari
:360: ninja gaiden 2
:360: mass effect
:360: lego indiana jones
:360: Orange Box [Need to beat Episode 1+2.. Maybe Play Team Fortress]
:360: Rock Revolution
:360: Rockstar Games Table Tennis
:360: Mercenaries 2
:360: Halo Wars (Collector's Edition)
:360: Fracture
:360: Rockband Special Edition
:360: Soulcalibur IV
:360: Prey
:360: You're In The Movies w/ Camera
:360: The Club
:360: Crackdown
:360: Namco Museum Virtual Arcade
:360: Too Human
:360: Devil May Cry 4
:360: Mirror's Edge
:360: Far Cry 2
:360: Prince of Persia
:360: Iron Man
:360: Blacksite Area 51
:360: John Woo Presents Stranglehold
:360: Rockband 2
:360: Guitar Hero 5
:360: Guitar Hero World Tour Band Bundle
:360: Guitar Hero Van Halen
:360: Spider-man: Web of Shadows
:360: Left 4 Dead 2
:360: Guitar Hero: Smash Hits
:360: Virtua Fighter 5 Online
:360: Rockband AC/DC Live Track Pack
:360: Terminator Salvation
:360: Blue Dragon
:360: Undertow
:360: Worms
:360: Worms 2
:360: Shadow Complex
:wii:
:wii: mario kart wii
:wii: wii play
:wii: wii fit
:wii: animal crossing city folk
:wii: samba de amigo
:wii: Battalion Wars 2
:wii: Punch-Out!!
:wii: Madworld
:wii: Metroid Prime Trilogy
:wii: Wii Fit Plus
:wii: Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
:wii: House of the Dead: Overkill
:wii: Viruta Tennis 2009
:wii: house of the dead 2&3 return [Need to beat HOTD 3]
:wii: Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars
:wii: Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
:wii: Excitebike World Rally
:ps2:
:ps2: xenosaga ii
:ps2: cars
:ps2: katamari damacy
:ps2: soulcalibur III
:ps2: xiii
:ps2: capcom classics collection
:ps2: final fantasy xii
:ps2: devil may cry 3
:ps2: buzz! the mega quiz w/buzzers
:ps2: grand theft auto vice city stories
:ps2: Devil May Cry
:ps2: Kingdom Hearts II
:ps2: Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
:ps3:
:ps3: call of duty 3
:ps3: unreal tournament 3
:ps3: Assassin's Creed
:ps3: Dark Sector
:ps3: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
:ps3: Resident Evil 5
:ps3: Buzz! Quiz TV w/ wireless buzzers
:ps3: UFC 2009: Undisputed
:ps3: Street Fighter IV
:ps3: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
:ps3: Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
:ps3: Resistance: Fall of Man
:ps3: Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
:ps3: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
:ps3: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
:ps3: Bioshock
:ps3: Dead Space
:ps3: Lego Batman
:ps3: Watchmen: The End is Nigh The Complete Experience
:ps3: Saints Row 2 Collector's Edition
:ps3: God of War Collection
:ps3: Dragon Age: Origins
:ps3: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
:ps3: Final Fantasy VII
:ps3: Wolfenstein 3D
:ps3: Final Fantasy Tactics
:ps3: Final Fantasy VIII
:ps3: Gunstar Heroes
:ps3: Grand Theft Auto IV
:ps3: Bionic Commando: Rearmed
:xbox:
:xbox: thrillville
:xbox: grabbed by the ghoulies
:xbox: star wars battlefront
:xbox: advent rising
:xbox: Rainbow Six: Lockdown
:gc:
:gc: alien hominid
:gc: outlaw golf/darkened skye
:gc: odama
:gc: viewtiful joe 2
Playstation
PS Final Fantasy IX
PS Final Fantasy Origins
:gba:
:gba: Space Channel 5: Ulala's Cosmic Attack
:gba: Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
:gba: Final Fantasy V
:gba: Final Fantasy IV
:gba: Dr Mario/Puzzle League
:ds:
:ds: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
:ds: Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
:ds: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
:psp:
:psp: Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Maybe put your lists under a spoiler so the thread isn't humongous? My one year anniversary on CAG is on the 15th, so on the 15th I will compile the results and hopefully have some fun times with my backlog. :)

Updates in Post #11 + #20

Last edited by a moderator:
At the rate video games come out now a days i'd say you are never going to finish that backlog while even attempting to stay with up to date games :lol:

First of all do me a favor and cut down your list of games. After clicking the spoiler button I was overwhelmed with you list. So overwhelmed that I only read the first 5. How about this... clearly you aren't going to finish all these games, it's just not possible, so why don't you cut this list down to 20 or so games and then ask the community for help. For example, Wii Play could be cut off. That's a no brainer. Put a little thought into it and then come back to us.

Also, good luck with the new years resolutions. I also need to stop buying games simply because they are a good deal....Example, will I ever really play Fracture? Sure it was only 10 bucks but if I never play it then I might as well have thrown those 10 bucks in the garbage......

Mass Effect
Devil May Cry 4
Resident Evil 5
God of War Collection (assuming you have never played them before)
House of The Dead Overkill

Those would be my 5 and I would get rid of a LOT of those games you have and just use the money to buy new stuff you really want to play.

Do you seriously want to play Iron Man, Fracture, Sega Superstars Tennis, etc?

I would pick 5 or 10 you really want to play and just get rid of the rest.

Resident Evil 5-if you can coop otherwise it isn't too much fun. Okay I admit I'm a wuss and couldn't handle killing zombies by myself.

FFVIII-My favorite rpg, well you might hate it since it is very dated now, and the magic draw and junction system was a headache back then too.

Dragon Age and Modern Warfare 2-Might as well play the games while they're recent so you won't feel so bad when you see them down the line for $20 when you paid $60 for them.

You also seem to have a lot of fighting games. How do you consider being finish with those? I usually just play it and stop once I'm bored with them. Those should be easy to knock out unless you really want to unlock everything and get all the trophies and achievements.

I hate to say it but I see a lot of junk cluttering your list. Maybe they were discount impulse buys...

One way to make it easy is sell or trade all the XB, 360, and PSP stuff. You won't miss any of it. Next decide if you really want to tackle all those RPG's because they will hold you up the longest. I've stopped buying RPG's because my backlog is over 50 games just between my PS3 and Wii, not including a couple older PC games, DS, PS2, and my classic stuff I never finished.

After that you just need to dig in and start playing. Even with my backlog I'm still buying games when I find them cheap. B2G1's, gift cards, whatever. I'd rather spend less now, without waiting so long that I can't find it new. $30-$35 is my price range. I'll get to it someday. My order goes by whatever I feel like playing, not the oldest first.

Thank you for the help so far.... Just wanted to answer a few questions. (And I have a problem trading stuff in, only traded in 2 games last year that wasn't some kind of flip.)

MysticRB: I'm okay not staying up to date. Once I clear some games out I will probably only buy games that my friends and I can play online. (That's is the only reason I made COD MW2 my last purchase)
Miqspot: Done and done.. maybe?
Schuerm26: Thank you and yes I do actually intend to play them all :) I did like what I played of Fracture so far. And I have (hopefully had now) a problem buying any game I saw under $10
Thongsy: Thank you and I usually will take a fighting game out of the backlog after I beat it with every character (Unless they have a mode like the Subspace Emissary in SSBM in which case I did both.)
Soonersfan60: Noted.
Dpsx7: I got to the point where I pretty much only bought games if they were $10 or less and I still got crazy. I don't have a problem with how long a game takes to beat. It's having time to play after work and school that is the problem.
Sagecooker: ahh... I used to be like you till I realized what a POS microsoft's stuff is. After 3 original xbox's and on my 2nd 360, i decided to stick with PS3. Only problem is is that 80% of the deals are on 360. Hence the long list.

I think one major question is how old are you? Do you have countless hours to play games? I gave you my 5 games to play but didn't think to ask that. Me being older with a family my time is limited so I prefer to play the XBOX 360 Arcade games for the most part. It does make a difference depending on your personal responsibilities in life.

I'm 29. I don't have a family just school to worry about (which is on break till the 18th). Honestly I don't see myself besting the 20 games that I beat in 2009 but my problem is is that I'm afraid if I get bored with the backlog that I will revert back to spending all my money on games I won't play. So I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on what in that ridiculous list is worth playing first.

Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2

End of backlog.

Seriously though, get rid of the majority of that crap. Lots of those games really, really suck .. hardcore.

My backlog consists of the following:

Red Faction: Guerrilla
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Modern Warfare 2
Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned
Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony

And... that's about it. I dumped (or trying to dump) the majority of my games other than the ones I play frequently/actually intend to play frequently.

Let me give you a hand with the Wii stuff, legitimately lol :p

1) Madworld = Its short, can be completed in about seven hours. Not to mention its actually pretty damn good.

2) House of the Dead Overkill = Its about five hours, no more then seven. Another damn good game, can be completed in one sitting typically.

3) Punch-Out = If you run into issues, use GameFAQ and should be able to knock it out in about eight hours or less.

4) Battalion Wars 2 = It is about ten hours, can be less though. It is a love it/hate it kind of game. I liked it a lot though, it was pretty good honestly speaking.

5) Mario Kart Wii = Might take you a long time to fully finish it, it is something that should be played in spurts really. Virtua Tennis 2009 belongs here too.

6) Metroid Prime Trilogy = Uhh...this is a very long game(s). I would save it for a rainy day but believe me when I say if you're only going to spend limited time with it, the 1st and 3rd ones are the ones to play out of the package (the second one is good, but not great).

7) Excitebike World Rally is about a six hour game if you're trying to get S rank on everything, otherwise you can enjoy the game for what its worth in about one day.

8) SMRPG is a damn fine classic, but it is about fifteen to eighteen hours worth here. Short for an RPG but a little long. Can defintely be beaten within a span of a few days though and it is worthwhile to do it.

9) FFIV TAFY is good but a little long (towards 40 hours if you add in all the stories) and unless you're a big fan of FFIV, it is skippable for the time being.

Everything else is not worth your time. Wii Play is a tech demo, Wii Fit is pointless with Wii Fit Plus (and even then, you don't beat those games), Animal Crossing is "meh", Samba de Amigo is beatable but it is not as good as the Dreamcast edition, Harvey Birdman sucks ass, etc.

Infact, if you're going to sell some games off, get rid of all of these:

Wii Play
Wii Fit (Keep the Plus one though, it has everything the original does and more)
Animal Crossing (I like AC and all but it is the GameCube/DS game all over again, nothing really missing)
Samba De Amigo
Harvey Birdman

That should help you narrow it down really and put more cash into your coffers at the same time. You can probably knock out majority of your Wii backlog in about a week of hardcore playing. Or a month or two of casual, your pick lol :D

EDIT: Oh, as for your GameCube, really with the exception of Odama (although it is a bit quirky) the rest is crap, sell it. Yes, I know a few people are going to defend Alien Homind but to hell with it, there are better games lol :p

[quote name='raarar']Schuerm26: Thank you and yes I do actually intend to play them all :) I did like what I played of Fracture so far. And I have (hopefully had now) a problem buying any game I saw under $10
Dpsx7: I got to the point where I pretty much only bought games if they were $10 or less and I still got crazy. I don't have a problem with how long a game takes to beat. It's having time to play after work and school that is the problem.
Sagecooker: ahh... I used to be like you till I realized what a POS microsoft's stuff is. After 3 original xbox's and on my 2nd 360, i decided to stick with PS3. Only problem is is that 80% of the deals are on 360. Hence the long list.[/QUOTE]

Wow, then go for it. I took some old games out of my backlog just because I wasn't sure I'd get to them. While I had plans to play everything I buy I'm also not against buying games that are heavily discounted just to add to the collection. I've a number of games for DC, NES, Saturn, etc that were bought as part of a lot that I never played yet.

I can't just pick up any old thing though. There are a couple in there I wouldn't personally play, meaning not worth any price. I always make time each day, but ya know some days you want to take a break. I won't force myself or it defeats the purpose of gaming. Of course during the work season there's less time, so the winter break is great for catching up. Length shouldn't bother me but I've found myself buying less RPG's just so one game doesn't hold me up for too long.

Smart move. I'm amazed how people still hopelessly support the 360 despite all its flaws and how quickly it has been surpassed by the competition. There's nothing on that console worth playing that can't be played on a more reliable platform. I guess those who won't upgrade are simply stubborn or have something against Sony or Nin.

If you wait it out the sales will appear on PS3. Out of the 66 I have I may have paid full price for maybe 5. At least half were new too. Ebay, Amazon, TrU, used sales or $20 specials at GS, B2G1's at Target and BB, the average is still around my $30-$35 limit.

If you're looking to get through 5 fast here are my suggestions of the few I've played off your list. This is a really quick list

Wii-Harvey Birdman--this is quick you might only want to do a couple of cases at a time, while fun does get a little old fast.

Xbox-Star Wars Battlefront--It's been awhile since I played but think it wasn't too long to get through, there's 2 single player modes in here, might only want to do a few at a time

Wii-Super Mario Kart-I don't think it took me that long to get through and unlock everything but the Mii uniform 2 (I think it's something like win 150 online races). You might want to check Gamefaq first to know how to unlock certain items. Also use the gamecube controller, it's much easier than the Wii Remote and stay away from the wheel.

PS2-Katamari-This is a really fun game, sometimes challenging. Not sure how long it took to complete it was one I would do a mission a day, then play something else.

Wiifit-Depends on what you're looking to feel you've beat the game if I remember right the only things to really unlock/beat is the training parts which shouldn't take too long.

The Final Fantasy games, are long in almost all cases. So is Grand theft auto: China Wars, I'm still slowly working on that one

Well, my thought is that you aren't going to get through this entire list. Just won't happen. I'm also shocked at how many newish games are on this list. Why own Dragon Age or Modern Warfare 2 if your plan isn't to play them right away. First thing I think you need to do is go through your list of new games. Get them all up, then decide, either play them now or sell them. Games like Left For Dead 2 still pull $25 in trade in. Trade these now, and pick them back up in a year when you have less games and they are $15.

Next, what do you feel like playing? I think arbitrarily picking a set number of games to beat puts you in the wrong frame of mind. You can play 5 games really fast through, but you won't enjoy them. What games are you dying to play on this list? You bought all of them for a reason, so there are reasons.

Personally, I would try out Shadow Complex. It's on the short side, but it's tons of fun. One of the games of 2009, imo.

Katarmari Damacy's fun, and there is nothing else like it on your list.

Mass Effect, good story. Will take 20 hours or so to beat, but well worth it.

Sell everything except for these.

Grand Theft Auto IV
God of War Collection
Dragon Age: Origins

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Resident Evil 5
final fantasy xii
Devil May Cry
Kingdom Hearts II
devil may cry 3

Madworld
Metroid Prime Trilogy
banjo kazooie nuts & bolts
dead rising
left 4 dead
gears of war 2
ninja gaiden 2
mass effect

Halo Wars (Collector's Edition)
Soulcalibur IV
Crackdown
Devil May Cry 4
Mirror's Edge

Virtua Fighter 5 Online

Prince of Persia

John Woo Presents Stranglehold

For whatever it's worth, IMO the absolute best games on your list are:

:360: Gears of War 2 (campaign is very fast-paced and very fun, probably won't take long to complete)
:360: Left 4 Dead
:360: Left 4 Dead 2

:ps2: Final Fantasy XII (game of the decade, please play this!)
:ps2: Katamari Damacy (many small missions, perfect for short sessions, though it's hard to put down once you get started)

:ps3: Final Fantasy Tactics (very strongly recommend the PSP port over the original PSX version however)
:ps3: Final Fantasy VII
:ps3: Final Fantasy VIII

:gba: Final Fantasy V (most underrated Final Fantasy game, this is a real gem)

:psp: Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII

Okay just so we're all clear. I don't expect to beat all these games this year (or ever possibly). I just wanted to move the games the community thought were best to the top of the list so I can play those in lieu of buying new games. I am trying to save money. I understand a lot of you just want me to trade in that old stuff to buy new stuff but I am a collector. A game has to be horrendous for me to trade it in. So I am content with what I have going on.

bread's done
Back