Reason for User Ban

Well, there's the surprise of the moment, if it wasn't me.
Unless it was you. I was under the strong impression that it wasn't. That's the only reason I mentioned the name, because I thought it was of no consequence.

Didn't even recognize your account. Stepped down and removed your avatar? Honestly can't remember if you were shrike4242 or just shrike.

[quote name="soulvengeance" post="11588358" timestamp="1394153734"]If he got banned, why would he even want to come back? Just find another place to go.[/quote]That makes absolutely no sense. Maybe he enjoyed the community here, which has very little to do with the moderators who banned him. I certainly don't know of any other forums like CAG.

Tons of people hate me. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy this community for those who don't. Your logic is lopsided.
Obviously they don't hate you enough to get you banned. :) In all seriousness though, you're not going to get an answer, the answer is if you don't like it, you can leave, simple as that. It seems like we go through this same line of questioning every few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously they don't hate you enough to get you banned. :) In all seriousness though, you're not going to get an answer, the answer is if you don't like it, you can leave, simple as that.
If I applied your logic to life, that means I might as well be dead if some people hate me. Sort of a negative view to things. If you enjoy your time in a community with the people who do like you, why would some people hating you ruin all your fun?

Unfortunately the second part is probably true. First time I've been on a forum where a civil question to moderators has been met with utter silence. Kind of ridiculous, really.

If I applied your logic to life, that means I might as well be dead if some people hate me. Sort of a negative view to things. If you enjoy your time in a community with the people who do like you, why would some people hating you ruin all your fun?

Unfortunately the second part is probably true. First time I've been on a forum where a civil question to moderators has been met with utter silence. Kind of ridiculous, really.
There's a difference between people just not liking you and constantly posting nonsense in the Deals forum where people have to wade through that crap to find actual coherent discussion of a deal.

There's a difference between people just not liking you and constantly posting nonsense in the Deals forum where people have to wade through that crap to find actual coherent discussion of a deal.
Almost no one talks about deals in those threads. They're sparse and they're all covered in the OP. If you want to use the "off topic" excuse, everyone in those threads should be banned.

Every time a post goes without being liked, does that mean everybody dislikes it?
Damn, that's really deep.

Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of the deals forum.

I'm always on the hunt for that off-topic discussion.

If he got banned, it more then likely meant more then a few people didn't like him, not just the mod.
so in that vein, since I don't like you, you should be banned, correct?

not really, but trying to show the absurdity of your logic there

Every time a post goes without being liked, does that mean everybody dislikes it?
deep-thoughts-by-jack-handey--screen-grab.png

say what?
tumblr_ltskuk2u5T1r5qrimo1_500.gif

People tend to forget this site is more than just deal alert hub. If you want that, you could use a great many different sites that work to that effect, like CheapShark, IsThereAnyDeal, etc. Or you could opt for more deal focused forums like SlickDeals, SPUF, Reddit, etc. CAG is a community beyond that, where people communicate, make friends, play games together, etc.

For those who enjoy this, cool. For those who don't, the OPs are usually updated very quickly and give you a full list of what's on sale on the retailer that the thread is for (Steam, Amazon, etc). Complaining about people for talking with each other is asinine.

Way to show that you think that you're worth more than a few people.
Obviously not what he was saying. The guy he was responding to had the logic of "If some people on a site don't like you, you shouldn't want to be there." He was just replying with an equally ridiculous line of reasoning.

I wish the mods would do one thing: zero tolerance for fanboy disruptions in deal threads. Even / especially under the guise of "I'm just trying to save people money on not buying a crappy system."

See: titanfall bundle thread, any wiiu thread.

I wish the mods would do one thing: zero tolerance for fanboy disruptions in deal threads. Even / especially under the guise of "I'm just trying to save people money on not buying a crappy system."

See: titanfall bundle thread, any wiiu thread.
Well it worked. I don't own any system so thanks to those guys

my $.02 on this:

If TImbo can post all the crap he does in PS4/XB1 threads with horrible grammar and not get banned, yet this guy does, that means something is not right with CAG.

Who are the mods on CAG these days, anyway? I don't really see many of them post anymore, and, I don't think any new ones have been appointed for quite a while.

Who are the mods on CAG these days, anyway? I don't really see many of them post anymore, and, I don't think any new ones have been appointed for quite a while.
You should be a new mod Rig. The mod for the CAG!

Well, why don't you just report him if you really want him banned? Or did you already? I just really don't see the reason. IP bans don't work or are not issued. He will be back if he really wants to be.

I have no idea who the offender is, but I'd imagine you're just seeing the result of crappy, inconsistent CAG modding.

I was IP banned for making an account to get past a silence and PM a mod, while that guy got permabanned, made a new account, and is still alive and kicking. That's CAG for you.
I'm kind of new to CAG so I don't want to step on any toes, but it seems that if a user is going to be banned they should at least be given a reason or a chance to resolve an issue before being locked out completely. If a user is about to banned they should have an option perhaps where someone cannot post but still has the ability to log in and talk to a mod to see if the issue can be worked out instead of just locking out the account completely. Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. Banning someone without a reason also leaves it to a guessing game to other CAGs as to what is and what is not acceptable, since no one really knows why a user was banned.

I'm kind of new to CAG so I don't want to step on any toes, but it seems that if a user is going to be banned they should at least be given a reason or a chance to resolve an issue before being locked out completely. If a user is about to banned they should have an option perhaps where someone cannot post but still has the ability to log in and talk to a mod to see if the issue can be worked out instead of just locking out the account completely. Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. Banning someone without a reason also leaves it to a guessing game to other CAGs as to what is and what is not acceptable, since no one really knows why a user was banned.
All correct, and all extremely common among most forum modding systems. CAG is just run by mods who are more or less grandfathered in from knowing Cheapy for ages, and thusly can do no wrong. Cheapy himself pulls a lot of inconsistent nonsense and doesn't help the situation at all.

But as you can see, even when directly addressed and asked questions, Cheapy and the mods have completely ignored just about every comment here. The system sucks and it isn't going to change.

But as you can see, even when directly addressed and asked questions, Cheapy and the mods have completely ignored just about every comment here. The system sucks and it isn't going to change.
If that's your view on the situation, why stay around the site any longer? It's obvious you have issue with the situation and as you don't seem to be getting any satisfaction, why stay and complain about it any longer?

If that's your view on the situation, why stay around the site any longer? It's obvious you have issue with the situation and as you don't seem to be getting any satisfaction, why stay and complain about it any longer?
For the community, obviously. You can't find this group of people just anywhere.

I was replying to Reds303. I've more or less accepted how things are here. It's lame, it sucks, but that's how it is and how it's going to stay. When I'm making posts like that I'm more just painting an accurate picture of things to someone who's asking or talking about the state of things, rather than complaining.

And yeah, just because the system sucks doesn't mean I don't enjoy the community. Am I getting any satisfaction with the modding system? No, not at all. It's negatively affected me, and it's taken waiting and Cheapy's intervention to reverse every wrongful action against me, and it's also resulted in people I know getting wrongfully silenced and banned as well. Do I get satisfaction from certain parts of the community here? Absolutely.

Just because the system sucks doesn't mean I have to pack my bags and go. I have friends here and I even enjoy the discussions with some people who aren't my friends. I actually did leave for awhile when I was fed up with the nonsense (the second time Trakan silenced me totally out of nowhere for no reason), but I came back for the community.

I should repeat that I'm not trying to step on any toes here, but I think that you took his reply wrong. Most of us that use CAG are happy here, and there is really no other site like it on the internet in my opinion. Open and transparent discussion is healthy for the site at any rate, even if us users don't agree with something, it does not mean that we dislike CAG or the community at all.

I should repeat that I'm not trying to step on any toes here, but I think that you took his reply wrong. Most of us that use CAG are happy here, and there is really no other site like it on the internet in my opinion. Open and transparent discussion is healthy for the site at any rate, even if us users don't agree with something, it does not mean that we dislike CAG or the community at all.
Absolutely. I don't hate the community nor do I hate the idea behind the site. The only thing I've ever spoken badly of is the moderating, and even then, I haven't simply badmouthed it and "complained", I've given a lot of reasonable suggestions and criticism to making things better.

But if those comments are all one and the same to the moderators and Cheapy, and ignored all the same, there's not much point.

This site seems pretty laid back IMHO. And if I get banned I'll just go somewhere else. There are plenty of forums in the sea. 

Hell, I was banned from another forum just today for PG-13 stuff. It's not the end of the world. 

bread's done
Back