Reasons to choose PSP?

mash

CAGiversary!
I had a DS Lite for a while and liked it for about...3 weeks. I played Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Castlevania DoS to death, then decided it wasnt worth it and sold everything. But for some reason I always think I'm going to love the next handheld. The PSP has appealed to me lately mainly because of it's ability to play PSX games. I love my ps2, and would love to play the old PS1 rpgs I never played, as well as Crash Bandicoot 2 and some others that I used to love. Now my questions are:

1. What PSP games are worth buying? I like the looks of MGS Portable Ops, Ace Combat X, Ratchet and Clank, Valkyrie Profile, and Burnout to name a few. What am I missing? Basically name your favorite games.

2. What version of the PSP do I need to get in order to use homebrew, play PS1 games, etc?

3. After getting tired of the DS, do you think the PSP would get old the same way?

Thanks to anyone with some advice.

The PSP and the DS are two different experiences. Did you ever get bored with your original Xbox/PS2? If you did, you're probably going to get bored with the PSP. The lack of a second stick hurts some games, but others it really helps (like Syphon Filter). Asking about PSP homebrew is ok. Requesting how big a stick you need for iso files isn't though (that's how the post comes off). I personally like Mega Man Powered Up, Luminese, and Metal Gear Ac!d 2 in addition to the standards you mentioned.

I didnt get bored with my xbox, since I had Halo 2. I havent gotten bored with the PS2 because I still have RE4, God of War, MGS2 and 3, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, all the FF games, etc to play. So it just depends on whether I have a large enough backlog to keep me satisfied with the system. I removed the stuff about iso size. Thanks for the input :)

It depends. Are you planning on using the PSP legally? If so, you're most likely to get bored of what the little Sony handheld has to offer. As the DS quite simply, has the better games in comparison.

Illegally? You'll probably be much more entertained, as there is a decent amount of compelling homebrew, as well as emulation for it.

[quote name='mash']Illegally.[/quote]
Well, give it a shot. The worse that can happen is that you get bored of it, which then you can either return/sell it.

I'd suggest your first game be Metal Gear: Portable Ops, it's rather awesome. Don't forget to pick up the two Ac!d games, as they are good and relatively cheap.

Alright, I'll start looking for a relatively cheap bundle with MGS and maybe another game or two. Is GTA: LC required to downgrade to 1.5? Also, does the psp include video conversion software?

The PSP is great...
if you like fighting games (Tekken)
if you like racing games (Burnout and NFS are especially good)
if you want to play psone games (Crash Bandicoot action!)
if you like Sony's bigger name titles and want some portable action in those areas (Daxter, Ratchet and Clank)
if you cant get enough Grand Theft Auto

Keep in mind there's a "new" (revamped) Castlevania coming as well as a bunch of RPGs. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is a must own if you like RPGs. Locoroco if you want quirky fun. Guitaroo Man for music/rhythm/wackiness. Dungeon Siege for Diablo dungeon crawling.

If sony came out with another PSP2 with the 2nd analog stick it would RULE then the handhelds wars would begin..............NO?????? What else would we need 2 make the PSP2 #1 ???????

[quote name='yukine']Well, give it a shot. The worse that can happen is that you get bored of it, which then you can either return/sell it.

I'd suggest your first game be Metal Gear: Portable Ops, it's rather awesome. Don't forget to pick up the two Ac!d games, as they are good and relatively cheap.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed all the Metal Gear games, but personally, I think that stuff like the Mega Man remakes would be better options simply because they're more pick up and play than the MG games. Though my highest recommendation would probably be DJ Max Portable... I literally was unable to stop playing that game over this last weekend.

[quote name='yukine']It depends. Are you planning on using the PSP legally? If so, you're most likely to get bored of what the little Sony handheld has to offer. As the DS quite simply, has the better games in comparison.[/QUOTE]Uh, no. I refuse to allow any illegal crap touch my PSP. My PSP has 47 awesome games and I'm far from being disappointed in it. It's my 2nd favorite platform after PS3 (since it can play PS1/PS2 games).

I'll just say, if you want console style gaming on the go, and don't mind the occassional long loading in some games, PSP is an excellent choice. Buying one was definitely one of the best decisions I ever made.

Don't downgrade to 1.5. Use whatever the highest firmware upgrade is, download demos, and participate in beta tests like me, is the better way to go.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, no. I refuse to allow any illegal crap touch my PSP. My PSP has 47 awesome games and I'm far from being disappointed in it. It's my 2nd favorite platform after PS3 (since it can play PS1/PS2 games).

I'll just say, if you want console style gaming on the go, and don't mind the occassional long loading in some games, PSP is an excellent choice. Buying one was definitely one of the best decisions I ever made.

Don't downgrade to 1.5. Use whatever the highest firmware upgrade is, download demos, and participate in beta tests like me, is the better way to go.[/QUOTE]

When the PSP came out I was sooo hyped to get one. I've had my PSP ever since launch and I don't think I played it for more then 10 hours total. I'm not sure what it is but I dislike the screen very much so for the games. Mostly all the games have ghostly images when running or moving fast. I'm not sure if it's just my PSP or what, but IMO the PSP Blows Ass. You need more then impressive graphics to sell a system.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, no. I refuse to allow any illegal crap touch my PSP. My PSP has 47 awesome games and I'm far from being disappointed in it. It's my 2nd favorite platform after PS3 (since it can play PS1/PS2 games).

Don't downgrade to 1.5. Use whatever the highest firmware upgrade is, download demos, and participate in beta tests like me, is the better way to go.[/QUOTE]

Oh my. You are on Sony's payroll, aren't you?

Look around the PSP forums for information on how to install 3.10 OA-X, which is a custom firmware that looks and acts just like the most recent Sony firmware, but allows you to switch with firmware 1.5 (so you can easily play homebrew), and also allows you to import and play PSX games not from the Playstation store.

I'm no advocate of stealing games if they're on the PS store (all the titles I've ripped so far I own), but you can't do squat on the PSP using the legit firmware. What a fucking crock.

I've been playing the hell out of Xenogears on mine.

As for legit PSP releases, I don't have all the games I'd like to, but highly recommend:

Lumines
Metal Gear Acid (1 and 2)
Metal Gear: Portable Ops
Mega Man: Powered Up
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Grand Theft Auto (both "Stories" games)
and, of course...
Gradius Collection

I also reluctantly passed up a used and complete copy of Power Stone Collection for $15 at GS today.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh my. You are on Sony's payroll, aren't you?

Look around the PSP forums for information on how to install 3.10 OA-X, which is a custom firmware that looks and acts just like the most recent Sony firmware, but allows you to switch with firmware 1.5 (so you can easily play homebrew), and also allows you to import and play PSX games not from the Playstation store.

I'm no advocate of stealing games if they're on the PS store (all the titles I've ripped so far I own), but you can't do squat on the PSP using the legit firmware. What a fucking crock.

I've been playing the hell out of Xenogears on mine.

As for legit PSP releases, I don't have all the games I'd like to, but highly recommend:

Lumines
Metal Gear Acid (1 and 2)
Metal Gear: Portable Ops
Mega Man: Powered Up
Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Grand Theft Auto (both "Stories" games)
and, of course...
Gradius Collection

I also reluctantly passed up a used and complete copy of Power Stone Collection for $15 at GS today.[/QUOTE]

Is MGS Acid 2 pretty good? I'm not sure how good the card based elements work. I picked up a copy from TRU for 4.98 on clearance.

I thought it was a very good title - don't waste your time with the "3D goggles" or any of that garbage. It's different for a Metal Gear game, and not everybody liked the two. I think I actually prefer the acid titles to Portable Ops.

[quote name='Chacrana']I really enjoyed all the Metal Gear games, but personally, I think that stuff like the Mega Man remakes would be better options simply because they're more pick up and play than the MG games. Though my highest recommendation would probably be DJ Max Portable... I literally was unable to stop playing that game over this last weekend.[/quote]

Yeah, definitely. I loved Mega Man Powered Up.

I can't say that I've heard of DJ Max Portable, is it an import?

[quote name='mykevermin']I thought it was a very good title - don't waste your time with the "3D goggles" or any of that garbage. It's different for a Metal Gear game, and not everybody liked the two. I think I actually prefer the acid titles to Portable Ops.[/QUOTE]

same here... the Acid series is my personal favorite... even more likeable than the main franchise.

some unmentioned stuff that's good:

Virtua Tennis
Me and My Katamari
Lego Star Wars 2 (almost identical to the home release!)
Metal Slug Anthology
I got bored of Dungeon seige in a few days, but it's very well made... for $10 or less it's worth it (BB price)

Look forward to:

Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion
300 (might look good or bad)
Final Fantasy Tactics (greatest FF ever IMHO)
Devil May Cry

[quote name='pimpinc333']When the PSP came out I was sooo hyped to get one. I've had my PSP ever since launch and I don't think I played it for more then 10 hours total. I'm not sure what it is but I dislike the screen very much so for the games. Mostly all the games have ghostly images when running or moving fast. I'm not sure if it's just my PSP or what, but IMO the PSP Blows Ass. You need more then impressive graphics to sell a system.[/quote]

I also got mine at launch and for a while I stopped playing it. Now I really appreciate it's library of games. The rss feeds I can download, music, movies, and internet abilities. There is more to the system than just graphics. As someone else has pointed out if you want to play some sports, racing, action, puzzle, fighting, adventure, fps, plus online gameing that blows away the other portable system go for the psp.

I don't know what more you want other than lower price for system and games but I don't feel ripped off in any way. It's a different experience than the DS and I'm glad it is. Every critic likes to say it can't compete I don't think it has to. Just like the Wii isn't like a Ps3 or 360 Its a great time to be a gamer when there is an actual choice between gaming styles and not 2 or 3 versions of the same experince. So thanks to both Nintendo and Sony for not fighting over the same turf with the same weapons. Viva la difference.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, definitely. I loved Mega Man Powered Up.

I can't say that I've heard of DJ Max Portable, is it an import?[/QUOTE]

Yep, Coffee knows what he's talking about. It's seriously an incredible game. I was skeptical before I got it last week, but it's without a doubt the best music game I've ever played.

[quote name='pimpinc333']When the PSP came out I was sooo hyped to get one. I've had my PSP ever since launch and I don't think I played it for more then 10 hours total. [/quote]I played mine for over 10 hours the very first week I bought it.
I'm not sure what it is but I dislike the screen very much so for the games.
I think the screen is good and makes games look sharper, especially classical compilations
Mostly all the games have ghostly images when running or moving fast.
Maybe you just have a bad PSP, because I haven't noticed the problem in most every game, like some have mentions.
I'm not sure if it's just my PSP or what, but IMO the PSP Blows Ass.
Then don't troll this forum if you're not satisified with it. I am and that's why I'm posting here. You don't see me posting in the Nintendo forums saying horrible things about their platforms.
You need more then impressive graphics to sell a system.
Daxter, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror, Tekken DR, Ace Combat X, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, etc. disagree with you. They have impressive graphics and are enjoyable games, making an experience on a portable so much better.
[quote name='davidjinfla']I also got mine at launch and for a while I stopped playing it. Now I really appreciate it's library of games. The rss feeds I can download, music, movies, and internet abilities. There is more to the system than just graphics. As someone else has pointed out if you want to play some sports, racing, action, puzzle, fighting, adventure, fps, plus online gameing that blows away the other portable system go for the psp.

I don't know what more you want other than lower price for system and games but I don't feel ripped off in any way. It's a different experience than the DS and I'm glad it is. Every critic likes to say it can't compete I don't think it has to. Just like the Wii isn't like a Ps3 or 360 Its a great time to be a gamer when there is an actual choice between gaming styles and not 2 or 3 versions of the same experince. So thanks to both Nintendo and Sony for not fighting over the same turf with the same weapons. Viva la difference.[/QUOTE]There are 20+ million PSP handhelds out there. That's pretty impressive if you ask me, due to the dominance of Nintendo in the handheld industry.
[quote name='mykevermin']Oh my. You are on Sony's payroll, aren't you?[/QUOTE]I know all about it, but I refuse to do it. I want to keep my PSP on the HIGHEST firmware at ALL times. All Sony gives me is free demos and other stuff. They don't pay me.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I'm not sure if it's just my PSP or what, but IMO the PSP Blows Ass.
Then don't troll this forum if you're not satisified with it. I am and that's why I'm posting here. You don't see me posting in the Nintendo forums saying horrible things about their platforms.[/QUOTE]
Excuse me, but you seemed to have failed to notice that the OP was asking for opinions of the longevity of the PSP, not just glowing fanboy praise. For reference:

[quote name='OP']3. After getting tired of the DS, do you think the PSP would get old the same way?[/quote]

And the poster that you're bashing simply answered the question. Get a clue before you blast someone like that.

Anyways, I just remembered that the single best reason to own a PSP is because of fucking OutRun 2006, aka God, in portable form. It's the funnest game EVER, basically, and everyone should have it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I played mine for over 10 hours the very first week I bought it.
I think the screen is good and makes games look sharper, especially classical compilations
Maybe you just have a bad PSP, because I haven't noticed the problem in most every game, like some have mentions.
Then don't troll this forum if you're not satisified with it. I am and that's why I'm posting here. You don't see me posting in the Nintendo forums saying horrible things about their platforms.
Daxter, Ratchet & Clank Size Matters, Syphon Filter Dark Mirror, Tekken DR, Ace Combat X, Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, etc. disagree with you. They have impressive graphics and are enjoyable games, making an experience on a portable so much better.
There are 20+ million PSP handhelds out there. That's pretty impressive if you ask me, due to the dominance of Nintendo in the handheld industry.
I know all about it, but I refuse to do it. I want to keep my PSP on the HIGHEST firmware at ALL times. All Sony gives me is free demos and other stuff. They don't pay me.[/QUOTE]

Your a Joke Bro. I saw this on the front page, read it, and decided to post. I wasn't trolling any forum. He did ask for my honest opinion and I gave it to him. I really wanted to like the PSP but like I said I don't. It's my opinion son and nothing you say will change it. BTW your a Sony Fanboy so of course you'll like the PSP, hell you probably even bought a PS3 :lol:

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I will definitely start looking out for a PSP bundle. And I encourage ALL opinions, not just the ones that praise the PSP. Does anyone have a link to a list of PSone games available in the psp store? Hopefully it has FFVII. And how much space does the average game purchased in the psp store take up? Thanks again for all the help.

[quote name='mash']Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I will definitely start looking out for a PSP bundle. And I encourage ALL opinions, not just the ones that praise the PSP. Does anyone have a link to a list of PSone games available in the psp store? Hopefully it has FFVII. And how much space does the average game purchased in the psp store take up? Thanks again for all the help.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have PS3, you won't be playing any of the games from the PSP store.

Hence the reason for custom firmware ... which I also recommend. I've been playing the hell out of FF Tactics lately, and damn if I'm not impressed with it.

If you're going to the custom firmware route, be sure to have a firmware version 3.03 or earlier to be able to install it properly. And if it's above 2.71, you'll need a copy of GTA: Liberty City Stories that has the 2.0 Sony Update on it.

Good luck!

i didnt play with my psp for months until i got to playing with the custom firmwares and since then i've really enjoyed it. I've been playing Xcom on the train and loving it! the capcom cps2 emulator works great as does the gba emulator.

that said, there IS a ghosting problem with the psp screen, its because it has a slow response time. and if you get bored of the games, you can still use it for the web browser, music player and videos. there's a good video playing homebrew you can check out its called pmp mod. it also has rss support for podcasts so you can stream or download stuff like the cagcast... although the few times i've tried to use it to stream the cagcast it didn't work, it might have something to do with cheapy hosting it at libsyn but I dont know. Every other audio podcast i've tried has worked flawlessly. Video podcasts are iffy because most of them are in a video resolution targeted at the video iPods and the psp wont play them.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll just say, if you want console style gaming on the go, and don't mind the occassional long loading in some games, PSP is an excellent choice.[/quote]

Ignoring everything else he said, this is the most truthful when it comes to the PSP. You can also add that it desperately needs a right analog "nub" and the "nub" they have isn't all that.

All being said I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying my PSP (had it for almost 2 weeks now). Even if you get bored there's always the homebrew (which you should go for those nice custom firmwares since they're the best of both worlds). PS1 emulation is absolutely incredible.

A DS game runs about 34.99 (as was the price of New Super Mario World), then you have Daxter that originated at 39.99 - I just think that you're going to get more game (for your buck) out of the psp games, than you would from the DS games. For 39.99 (actual 29.99 at target) there's no game on DS that could say it's worth a similar price tag. - maybe FFIII @ 34.99, or 39.99 - but that's just a remake. But there's no game on the DS.. that can say they give more game than any of the GTA psp games.

I agree: for better or worse, the PSP is basically console gaming on the go. It's also much more of a multimedia showcase than the DS. That said, I also had a problem with the image ghosting. I'm probably an extreme case but I actually got headaches from it. So I'm not a PSP owner... It's unfortunate because I'd really like to play the new Ratchet game.

can't we all get along?

psp vs. ds the never ending battle

just get both :D

they both got positives and negatives

can't we just end the beef?

This shouldn't even be a PSP vs DS battle. The guy said he had a DS, he didn't like it, and he traded it in. That should be the end of the DS talk, and the only reason it should be mentioned is in the statement "I think if you got bored with the DS, you'll get bored with the PSP." They're two different systems.

PSP is awesome in its own way. I was pretty gung ho about getting one for a while but ran out of cash so it never happened. If you have the extra dough, get an import model with the revised (read: raised) buttons.

Portable OPS and the Acid games are good. So is LocoRoco. Syphon Filter is good and so is PowerStone Collection. Just veer towards the highly rated games and you'll do OK.

[quote name='cochesecochese']PSP is awesome in its own way. I was pretty gung ho about getting one for a while but ran out of cash so it never happened. If you have the extra dough, get an import model with the revised (read: raised) buttons.

Portable OPS and the Acid games are good. So is LocoRoco. Syphon Filter is good and so is PowerStone Collection. Just veer towards the highly rated games and you'll do OK.[/quote]

What? Revised/raised buttons? Where can one find some more information about this? Google won't show me the way.

[quote name='Chacrana']Err... wouldn't those both be reasons both for the DS and the PSP[/QUOTE]

The DS doesn't have Riviera. It does have Castlevania, of course, but the PSP gets Symphony.

[quote name='Kawnhr']The DS doesn't have Riviera. It does have Castlevania, of course, but the PSP gets Symphony.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the GBA has Riviera so the game can be played on the DS. It's technically not a DS game, but it's close enough...

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, but the GBA has Riviera so the game can be played on the DS. It's technically not a DS game, but it's close enough...[/QUOTE]

Furthermore, Riviera isn't that great of a game. Rondo of the Night is a major selling point for the PSP though as is the re-release of Disgaea.

[quote name='furyk']Furthermore, Riviera isn't that great of a game. Rondo of the Night is a major selling point for the PSP though as is the re-release of Disgaea.[/QUOTE]

I really hope that the Disgaea remake comes out in the US... since it seems as though they tried to add quite a bit to it. The Castlevania game is clearly going to be sheer perfection as well. Honestly, that compilation will be better than anything the DS has. SOTN alone is that good.

bread's done
Back