Reccomend me an Up-Convert DVD Player

bigsyxxy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I just got a 50" 720p DLP TV and am looking for an upconvert DVD player...any recommendations on brand/models?? Also, anyone who has the HD-DVD drive for X360...does it upconvert standard DVDs thru Component cable?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Xbox 360's HD-DVD drive doesn't affect the 360's DVD playback - still just 480 progressive.

Upconversion is a tricky beast. I recommend something cheap. Honestly, just anything cheap. You won't notice much of a difference between the cheapest player and the best player.

If you want quality, get an Oppo. You can get a good Oppo for $150 or so. I saw a cheap upconverting player in a Black Friday ad for $50. I forget where and forget what brand... Circuit City, maybe? Don't recall. Basically, the $100 difference will be hard to discern in video quality. My advice? Save $100.

If you're looking for the best quality look at the Oppo 971H or the Panasonic S77. I have a Panasonic S77 and the picture it outputs from dvds is much better IMO than the one from my Xbox 360. Note that Oppo is going to release a new player that will upconvert to 1080p by the end of this year. However since your TV is a 720p unit this may not matter to you.

I spent hours doing an A/B test between my 4 year old Sony DVD player (doesn't even have progressive output) connected via component against a Samsung upconverting player connected via HDMI to a HL-S5066W 720p Samsung DLP set. The only thing I noticed was a very ultra slight increase in grainyness on the upconverter. This probably means a more accurate image, but for all I know it could be less accurate. Either way, it wasn't worth the trouble. Unless you don't have a DVD player already, I wouldn't bother.

Well if your looking for something cheap

get a 1GIG computer,

A regular DVD rom that does not make sounds or sounds like it is working its brains out or make mice noises. I forget which date but after 2000 they stop making Region free DVD players.

And get a DVI or RGB card that can fit into your tv screen

Get Linux and look for Mplayer GUI or get MPlayer and make your own GUI. You can also get BSplayer for Windows and work with that. Then aain MPlayer has remote control support.

and presto instant Video player. Well that is my idea of a perfect palyer. I just need the case, memory, and power supply with good plugs.

After that you can just download media record it to a regular DVD-R or CD-R and presto play without fear of anything.

So far I able to watch DVD's and watch my video threw my DVD-ROM without fear of anything.

Then again the PS2, X-BoX, 360, Pannasonic Q, Dreamcast add-on, and PS3 counters as a DVD player with balls.

[quote name='Zing']I spent hours doing an A/B test between my 4 year old Sony DVD player (doesn't even have progressive output) connected via component against a Samsung upconverting player connected via HDMI to a HL-S5066W 720p Samsung DLP set. The only thing I noticed was a very ultra slight increase in grainyness on the upconverter. This probably means a more accurate image, but for all I know it could be less accurate. Either way, it wasn't worth the trouble. Unless you don't have a DVD player already, I wouldn't bother.[/QUOTE]
so youre saying you ran a non pscan dvd player at 720p and and upconverting player (im assuming its upconverting 720p) connected hdmi and noticed almost no difference? i noticed a slight difference in just enableing pscan at 480.
anyway please elaborate.

[quote name='paz9x']so youre saying you ran a non pscan dvd player at 720p and and upconverting player (im assuming its upconverting 720p) connected hdmi and noticed almost no difference? i noticed a slight difference in just enableing pscan at 480.
anyway please elaborate.[/QUOTE]

480i signal - Sony via component
720p signal - Samsung via HDMI

Either the Samsung TV is good at 3:2 pulldown and upscaling or the Samsung DVD player is bad at it. Either way, I wouldn't be absolutely sure which was which in a blind test.

so were saying that I should take advantage of a black friday upconverting dvd player or should I just buy vga cable for my sony hdtv crt.

i just hooked up the samsung dvd that upconverts to 1080p via hdmi and it was a significant improvement over 480p via component.

bread's done
Back