Received a game in very poor condition, what are my options to dispute?

bankson

CAGiversary!
I purchased some games via ebay, listed as excellent condition. One of the games I received is very scratched, and when I place it into my PS2, it goes to a black screen and stays there. As a buyer who has been misled, what would the pros here recommend I do in this situation?

Unfortunately, I doubt you can do much. Send the dude and e-mail and see if he will be reasonable and give you a refund or something. If not, leave negative feedback.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Bankson with a Brodie avatar...weird.[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

first and foremost, contact the seller. there are so many people who don't do this, which i really don't understand. just don't be all confrontational about it, at least not initially. just explain that his auction stated the game was in excellent condition, but when you received it the condition is so poor that it won't even work in your system. if he has good feedback, it may have just been a mix up and he may be willing to work it out.

but, since the seller essentially lied, contacting them probably won't accomplish much (though by no means should you skip contacting him). if he doesn't offer an acceptable way to resolve the problem (after some communication, mind you) and you paid with paypal, threaten him with getting paypal to do a chargeback. if he still doesn't budge, leave negative feedback and try to get a chargeback.

if you're stuck with the game, you may be able to at least resurface the disc so it's playable.

The auction only stated that everything was in excellent condition. There were no other statements regarding refunds, exchanges, "as-is" or anything. I'll sit tight until tomorrow to see if he responds to my emails.

Good catch on the name. These boards already had a good Banky avatar that is certainly better than anything I would ever find or create myself, so I went with plan B instead.

[quote name='thatstoobad']and you paid with paypal, threaten him with getting paypal to do a chargeback.[/quote]I thought you weren't allowed to threaten with anything on Ebay. Maybe it's just threatening feedback, but I thought I had heard you can't threaten the other person. :?

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still waiting on my Paypal claims. I was sold a bootleg game, and I still haven't heard from Paypal for further information I have (like photos, contacts to people that can verify it's bootleg), so I'm not too optimistic about it. Most people in the eBay forums suggest 1) contact seller, 2) file a claim w/ Paypal, and if those two don't work and you paid by CC, call your CC company and do a chargeback with them.

what sucks about leaving negative feedback, even after contacting the seller, the seller will most likely retaliate with negative feedback. I hate that possibility and if I have a less than positive experience then I just won't leave feedback at all. Of course, if they've left feedback already, then by all means :)

[quote name='bankson']oooh PayPal charge back. How often are the chargeback claims granted?[/quote]

Its not just chargebacks its also that it freezes part of his funds and provides an inconvinience making him more likely to cooperate and fulfill his end of the bargan.

Yes the feedback system has some major drawbacks, especially with jerks retaliating against real negative feedback. I paid this guy within 5 minutes of his auction closing, and have been patient as the package came. Now, I will probably be stuck with non working games (turns out 2 of the 5 are not playable) AND have a negative feedback left with something like "dood tried to rip me with lies **BEWARE SCAMMER**"

[quote name='bankson']Yes the feedback system has some major drawbacks, especially with jerks retaliating against real negative feedback. I paid this guy within 5 minutes of his auction closing, and have been patient as the package came. Now, I will probably be stuck with non working games (turns out 2 of the 5 are not playable) AND have a negative feedback left with something like "dood tried to rip me with lies **BEWARE SCAMMER**"[/quote]

Actually since you could do the same thing to him I seriously doubt that if you filed a paypal claim he'd do that since it would hurt him much much more as a seller to have that in his feedback for the next month. I'm of course assuming he actual has some feedback worth protecting.

Here's my advice (pretty similar to what thatstoobad and judyx3 said)

1) Contact the seller explaining that the 2 games are badly scratched and will not play in your PS2. Request a refund of $x to cover the portion for the non-working games.
2) If he doesn't respond in 3 days, e-mail him again stating it's been 3 days since you contacted him about this problem and if you don't hear from him by x (say a week from the first e-mail) you will be forced to pursue other remedies to the situation.
3) Once the week passes with no comm from the seller or he replies that's it's not his problem, etc. Contact PayPal to request your money.
4)Give PayPal a good while to determine what they will do and if they won't do anything do a CC chargeback. You will almost certainly have to mail the entire lot back to the seller if you do a CC charge back so keep that in mind. Most CCs give you 90 days to do a chargeback but I think some only give you 30? Call them up and check.

Negative feedback hurts the seller a heck of a lot more than the buyer. (Though if you buy and sell from that id it doesn't really help.) But it still sucks that the seller probably would retaliate with an undeserved negative.

this could work 2 ways though. I used to sell my stuff though ebay with nothing in the thing saying about returns. Well one day i sold a dude some games and they email me back saying they dont work. I said return them to me for a refund but when i got the games back these Were not the games i sent them. After about 4 months ebay sided with them and I was out the Money and Games. That is why I put down ALL SALES FINAL NO RETURNS.

[quote name='sj41']I thought you weren't allowed to threaten with anything on Ebay. Maybe it's just threatening feedback, but I thought I had heard you can't threaten the other person. :?

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.[/quote]

you could be correct, but saying something like "if this situation isn't resolved i will have to contact ebay and paypal about the matter" isn't quite the same as saying "if this situation isn't resolved i will have to contact my cousins about the matter so they can drive to your house and break your kneecaps, punk."

threaten may have been a bad choice of words..."inform" maybe?

bread's done
Back