Receiver Deals for Black Friday?

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I'm looking for a new HDMI receiver. I currently have a 55" Samsung LED, PS3, 360, Cable box and Wii. I have a Pinnacle 5.1 Sound System also. I'm looking to get an HDMI reciever with ARC (Audio Return Channel) for sure. Trying to keep the budget at $300 or less.

Any suggestions?

I've been looking at the Sony STR-DN2010 ($200 on BF) or the Pioneer VSX-1021 (was $300 recently).

What else should I be looking at? Don't really want Onkyo, since I hear they have heat issues.

Unless you're going to lock a receiver away in a cabinet or room that it won't be able to breathe in, you shouldn't have issues with ventilation for a receiver.

Onkyo receivers are great bang-for-the-buck receivers and I think you should re-think picking them as an option.

Not sure if this is still live (guessing it ends tonight) but I bought the Pioneer VSX-2021 from Newegg recently and love it. It upconverts analog signals (and HDMI obviously) and can pass-through all singles though a single HDMI line, with no lag, which was a major draw for me. Now Wii games don't look as shitty (but obviously no where near as good as real HD). I'm using it with the Energy Classic 5 set up and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer and everything sounds really nice (I unfortunately bought my speakers before Energy released the 5.1 set up so I had to deal with a low end sub).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16882117395

Use code EMCYTZT920 to bring it down to $300. The only bad thing about this receiver was the 1 year warranty... other competitive models offered 2 years. But I should got a Squaretrade 3 year warranty for $50 so that wasn't a major issue for me.

I'm still kicking around Onkyo...I have an open TV stand, so it should be ok. Asthetically, the Sony and Pioneer and leaps and bounds above Onkyo and Yamaha (IMO). For $200, the Sony receiver seems decent. I know the Pioneer always gets good reviews....although, I'm not sure I need all the frills of Apple Airplay and others. I also like the minimalistic look of the Samsung receivers, but I've heard bad things about those. I know NEWEGG had one for $180 recently.

I use my PS3 to stream most stuff, so not sure what I really need out of my receiver.

[quote name='doubledown']I'm still kicking around Onkyo...I have an open TV stand, so it should be ok. Asthetically, the Sony and Pioneer and leaps and bounds above Onkyo and Yamaha (IMO). For $200, the Sony receiver seems decent. I know the Pioneer always gets good reviews....although, I'm not sure I need all the frills of Apple Airplay and others. I also like the minimalistic look of the Samsung receivers, but I've heard bad things about those. I know NEWEGG had one for $180 recently.

I use my PS3 to stream most stuff, so not sure what I really need out of my receiver.[/QUOTE]

I won't lie... I probably don't know about 90% of the receiver's features and will probably never use them. I just needed a new receiver and that one popped up and had everything I wanted: good price, good power, positive reviews in regards to sound quality, and all input upconversion (it apparently has the best upconverstion chip too).

In regards to appearance though, honestly don't like the glossy face of the receiver. It just doesn't look right... sure it matches with the PS3 fat but still.

[quote name='Vinny']I won't lie... I probably don't know about 90% of the receiver's features and will probably never use them. I just needed a new receiver and that one popped up and had everything I wanted: good price, good power, positive reviews in regards to sound quality, and all input upconversion (it apparently has the best upconverstion chip too).

In regards to appearance though, honestly don't like the glossy face of the receiver. It just doesn't look right... sure it matches with the PS3 fat but still.[/QUOTE]

Nevermind....I'm waiting for Thurs/Friday now. Seems like some people have issues with the Pioneer, some love it. Although, that is generally the case with all receivers.

bread's done
Back